Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-50 outlet surface mount vs inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im looking to install a 14-50 outlet for my Tesla for UMC charging. Is installing the outlet by surface mount the preferred option or is it fine taking wires inside drywall for a clean install? Also, in terms of cost-wise, any major difference? My outlet will be very close to the panel - within 2-3 feet.

At my house, I have one of each. One is surface mounted on top of a concrete wall with metal conduit and a metal box and the other is a plastic box mounted inside a framed and drywalled wall.

In your situation, I would probably look at the panel and match that. If the panel is surface mounted, install a surface mounted outlet. If the panel is recessed in the wall, recess the outlet too.

In your situation, I would probably look at the panel and match that. If the panel is surface mounted, install a surface mounted outlet. If the panel is recessed in the wall, recess the outlet too.
Thanks..the panel is recessed - inside the wall. So, I guess I will go with inside wall install which I believe would be a little bit cheaper with no conduits and its accessories required; plus will look neat :)