TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

14-50 outlet - will it work if the voltage is 208V instead of 240V?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Electricfan, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Electricfan

Electricfan Member

I have a 14-50 outlet at home I use for my car. My boss is installing one here at the office, but the electrical service here is different than I have at home. Something to do with at home I have single phase, vs here at work we have 3-ph, so the voltage is going to be 208V and not the higher 220 or 240 (can't remember, I'll measure when I get home) I have at home.

Will the Tesla care? I assume it will still limit itself to 40a, with my single charger, so it will just charge more slowly at the lower voltage?

2. ChrisPDX

ChrisPDX Member

That won't be a problem. You'll just charge about 20% slower then on a normal 240v 14-50. Most public J1772 stations are 208v, so the cars have be compatible.

3. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Almost correct. 208 Volts is actually 13.3% lower than 240 Volts, and on 208 Volts, the Tesla will charge 13% slower than on 240 Volts for the same current.

Many commercial locations have 208/120 Volt 3-phase service, as well as many RV parks. Teslas will charge just fine, but a little slower, on 208 Volts.

You have a great boss, BTW, if she is willing to install EV charging outlets in the workplace!

4. ChrisPDX

ChrisPDX Member

Admittedly, I used 200v as that's what I always seem to get at commercial sites. Then my quick head math came up with 20% instead of 16.7%. Close enough. :)

5. Barry

Barry Member

My home, a condo, is in a mixed use commercial/residential building and has 3 phase power. My daily (or nightly) charging is at 208V. At 40A, it charges at about 25 mi/hr. No problems at all.

6. Fuma586

Fuma586 Member

I charge at work on 3 phase 208v. The tesla charging cord will accept 2 or 3 of the phases but prefers 3.

The 208v I charge on is actually 191v once I start drawing from it and it charges at about 23 mph.

Hope this helps.

7. Electricfan

Electricfan Member

Yes, he's awesome - not only to install the outlet (although I am paying for it) but to pay me enough that I can own a Tesla!