Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-50 Wall connector over heating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think so I turned the amperage down to 30A and it still had issues. Even at 15A it has issues. But like I said the mobile connector has 0 issues.

Open the wall connector and check the electrical connections inside. If you don’t know what you’re looking for, it’s probably best to have Tesla exchange it. To my knowledge, the 14-50 wall connector has been discontinued, so they’ll probably replace it with a hard wired unit.

Can you define warm? Like, if you have an IR thermometer, you should be able to quantify it. Just because the plug is warm to the touch doesn't necessarily mean it's defective.

Also, is the breaker backing the NEMA 14-50 a 50A breaker? Technically it's code compliant for it to be a 40A breaker, so if the wiring/breaker are 40A rated then that could be causing a ton of heat issues charging at 40A out of the wall charger.

It's a 50A breaker with #6 wire. It was installed by a licensed electrician that I have been friends with for 20 years and I saw the work and I understand this stuff pretty well so I don't think the issue is there. I could be wrong but the fact that even when I turn the amps down on the car to 20A it still has a heating issue and stops charging and the mobile connector works perfectly fine at any amperage on the same exact outlet.

It's a 50A breaker with #6 wire. It was installed by a licensed electrician that I have been friends with for 20 years and I saw the work and I understand this stuff pretty well so I don't think the issue is there. I could be wrong but the fact that even when I turn the amps down on the car to 20A it still has a heating issue and stops charging and the mobile connector works perfectly fine at any amperage on the same exact outlet.

Yup, that sounds like a HPWC issue. Talk to Tesla and get that thing warrantied.

• Helpful
Reactions: eprosenx
Nando2323 what did you end up finding out from Tesla? I have the NEMA 14-50 HPWC and in the past week I’ve noticed the car reducing Amps down as low as 11 when I woke up. When I went out today I noticed the lights were out on it and my car had dropped to 30/30 instead of 40/40 Amps. I stopped charging it, unplugged and the connector side of the 14-50 plug was over 160F when I hit it with a IR thermometer. There is no sign of carbon or connection issues when looking at the plug, I’m going to have it looked at by an electrician, but curious if this is a larger issue. Sounds just like what you saw. FWIW, the ambient temp has been over 100F for the last 40 days.

Attachments

• 4A860460-C05E-4CCC-9B3E-6130C620EEEB.jpeg
    4A860460-C05E-4CCC-9B3E-6130C620EEEB.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 135
Reactions: Phlier
Nando2323 what did you end up finding out from Tesla? I have the NEMA 14-50 HPWC and in the past week I’ve noticed the car reducing Amps down as low as 11 when I woke up. When I went out today I noticed the lights were out on it and my car had dropped to 30/30 instead of 40/40 Amps. I stopped charging it, unplugged and the connector side of the 14-50 plug was over 160F when I hit it with a IR thermometer. There is no sign of carbon or connection issues when looking at the plug, I’m going to have it looked at by an electrician, but curious if this is a larger issue. Sounds just like what you saw. FWIW, the ambient temp has been over 100F for the last 40 days.
Yeah, that is definitely a serious problem that needs to be tracked down before things start igniting. Tesla has done a great job of fire prevention, but it only goes so far...

Sorry for the late replies I was busy yesterday, the 14-50 plug is getting warm I guess. But when I use the Mobile connector nothing gets warm and the car charges fine. This thing has been not working properly since it started to warm up outside basically, first it was saying the plug on the car side was too hot now it's saying the wall plug is too hot, I'm sure it's defective somehow. I think I'm going to give Tesla a call since the issue is definitely with the wall connector, and yes this is the one that was just re-released with the 14-50 plug I did not modify a regular wall connector.

How many amps is the wall connector set to draw? The MC only draws 32A. Is the 14-50 configured to only draw 32A, or is it configured to draw more? If the WC is drawing 40A, then maybe the outlet is mis-wired or poorly wired and your charge session at 40A exposes this quickly, while the 32A on the MC just takes longer before it gets hot.

You are just delaying the problem if there's a problem ... heed the advice given above and inspect the receptacle for poor connections (after you flip the breaker for it and confirm it has no power).

EDIT: LOL, nevermind old thread resurrected. Curious what the resolution was though.

Just an update in my case for anyone that sees a similar issue with no clear resolution.

The Tesla recommenced electrician came back out, checked my wiring (6-3), replaced the breaker, and replaced my NEMA 14-50 Outlet same day. When charging at the max 40a I continued to see high temps around 135°F, but not as high as the 160°F I saw in the plug after about 1.5 hours of charging. I reduced the amps to 30, and did not have the excessive heating issues at that rate. Note that ambient temps were 95°F to 105°F outside during this time.

This morning here is Austin we had a cold front pass through. It’s 47°F outside and overcast, 65°F in my garage... wonderful compared to the 97° that we had yesterday. I decided to do a four hour charge at the full 40A while I could watch it. The plug never exceeded 109°F during the charge. My breaker panel is outside, directly on the other side of the plug in my garage. It seems to be amazing at conducting ambient and solar heat. That combined with the expected temp rise when in use seems to be pushing things to the excessively high temps in the summer. I’ll keep watching it for a while, looks like I’ll just need to start reducing amps in the summer.

Just an update in my case for anyone that sees a similar issue with no clear resolution.

The Tesla recommenced electrician came back out, checked my wiring (6-3), replaced the breaker, and replaced my NEMA 14-50 Outlet same day. When charging at the max 40a I continued to see high temps around 135°F, but not as high as the 160°F I saw in the plug after about 1.5 hours of charging. I reduced the amps to 30, and did not have the excessive heating issues at that rate. Note that ambient temps were 95°F to 105°F outside during this time.

This morning here is Austin we had a cold front pass through. It’s 47°F outside and overcast, 65°F in my garage... wonderful compared to the 97° that we had yesterday. I decided to do a four hour charge at the full 40A while I could watch it. The plug never exceeded 109°F during the charge. My breaker panel is outside, directly on the other side of the plug in my garage. It seems to be amazing at conducting ambient and solar heat. That combined with the expected temp rise when in use seems to be pushing things to the excessively high temps in the summer. I’ll keep watching it for a while, looks like I’ll just need to start reducing amps in the summer.

A strategically placed bush, tree, awning or shade sail might help keep things cool in the summer.

Had this issue the past month with my nema 14-50 wall connector. The plug by the pigtail would get really hot and the car would reduce charge from 40a to 30a and two flashing yellow lights in the morning on the hpwc which by the manual states overheat on the plug side of the wall connector. Put in a service appointment and mobile ranger dropped off a new 14-50 wall connector. So far so good. It is looking like my hpwc was faulty after 8 months of successful use. Hopefully this new one lasts longer.

Had this issue the past month with my nema 14-50 wall connector. The plug by the pigtail would get really hot and the car would reduce charge from 40a to 30a and two flashing yellow lights in the morning on the hpwc which by the manual states overheat on the plug side of the wall connector. Put in a service appointment and mobile ranger dropped off a new 14-50 wall connector. So far so good. It is looking like my hpwc was faulty after 8 months of successful use. Hopefully this new one lasts longer.

Any chance the heat is being generated by your receptacle and not the wall connector plug? (they may have errantly replaced the wrong item?)

Though if the new one is totally running cool then that was likely the issue.

Any chance the heat is being generated by your receptacle and not the wall connector plug? (they may have errantly replaced the wrong item?)

Though if the new one is totally running cool then that was likely the issue.

The outlet is cool to the touch as well as the wire connection inside the outlet. Checked torque specs on wiring at breaker and outlet and they were all nice and tight. Changed outlet and was still heating up. It is a very short run (a little over a foot) from panel to outlet since main panel is on opposite side outside garage wall. It has been fine since the hpwc change. Will update this thread if that changes.

I have the Nema 14-50 wall connector and I noticed that the warmer the weather got the more it started to overheat to a point now that I have to use the included cable to charge my car because the 14-50 over heats way too easy. Same plug is fine with the included car adapter. I tried dialing down the amps etc.. and still no go. Anyone else have these issues with theirs?

I am on my 3rd 14-50 HPWC. The first two have been replaced under warranty for overheating plugs. I replaced my outlet three times. The first unit’s right hot prong would get insanely hot, so I thought maybe it was something with the wire on that side of the plug. I switched the wires side to side and changed the outlet, but the same prong would still get insanely hot, ultimately causing the power to be cut because the plug would overheat. The second unit worked fine for 5 months, then one day it started cutting power and flashing the one orange light to say the plug overheated. This third unit has worked without problem for over a month until today I noticed it had throttled back the power to 30A. I went out to the unit and felt the plug and it was super hot. I honestly believe there’s something defective with the plugs or wiring Tesla is using on these units. All of the screws in the outlet are as tight as they can be, and as everyone else has said, the mobile connector has no issue. I’m really tempted to take my HPWC to my relative’s house and plug it in there to see if it overheats pulling 40A there like it does here.

I find it odd that the units all work flawlessly for a month or up to three months then randomly start overheating. Did you ever resolve your overheating issue?

Last edited:
These 14-50 HPWC seem to have defective pigtails. Has your new unit continued to work well? My 1.5 month old unit has started overheating as of this morning. It’s the third one in the last 9 months.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: brkaus
I have the Nema 14-50 wall connector and I noticed that the warmer the weather got the more it started to overheat to a point now that I have to use the included cable to charge my car because the 14-50 over heats way too easy. Same plug is fine with the included car adapter. I tried dialing down the amps etc.. and still no go. Anyone else have these issues with theirs?
I had The problem. Loose wires on 14-50 causing a slight darkness. I replaced and made sure wires were tight. Been fine for over a year!

These 14-50 HPWC seem to have defective pigtails. Has your new unit continued to work well? My 1.5 month old unit has started overheating as of this morning. It’s the third one in the last 9 months.
So far it hasn’t overheated since the replacement with daily charging. I dont have high confidence that it will not fail in the future, especially since they discontinued these units. Makes me assume it is because of this issue with the plugs overheating.

Reactions: DarkNightP3D