Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-50 Wire Size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

This is a great table that I reference all the time, but do understand that it is a dummed down version.

The actual source of record is NEC Table 310.15(B)(16) for many of the use cases we talk about on this forum.

It differs in important ways for 10 gauge conductors and smaller. There are other rules on the books that cause these fixed "15, 20, 30" amp ratings for the smaller gauge wires, but the real numbers are equal to or greater than what is in that table and you need those "raw" numbers in order to calculate proper derating like in this case with many current carrying conductors in a raceway.

This is a great table that I reference all the time, but do understand that it is a dummed down version.

The actual source of record is NEC Table 310.15(B)(16) for many of the use cases we talk about on this forum.

It differs in important ways for 10 gauge conductors and smaller. There are other rules on the books that cause these fixed "15, 20, 30" amp ratings for the smaller gauge wires, but the real numbers are equal to or greater than what is in that table and you need those "raw" numbers in order to calculate proper derating like in this case with many current carrying conductors in a raceway.

Good point ... I posted the simplified version, here is the complete NEC Table with the correction factors. :cool:

http://www.barr-thorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/digest-176-nec-tables.pdf

upload_2018-6-24_10-9-28.png