Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14 day old m3 hit while parked total loss?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I had the car for 14 days got it used from CarMax love the car I was gonna return it the next day cause I wanted a dual motor after the fact they give you 30 days.

Well someone hit the car when it was parked...

Still waiting for there insurance company to tow the car to coparts for inspection they said...but that a salvage yard

Do you think it's a total loss?

Being that the vehicle panel is pushed down you can't even drive the car since it's hitting the tire. Also the charge port is so much lower now..
This sucks either way sigh!!!!

Attachments

• PXL_20210621_151112959.jpg
    PXL_20210621_151112959.jpg
    592.3 KB · Views: 301
  • PXL_20210621_151117546.jpg
    PXL_20210621_151117546.jpg
    598.9 KB · Views: 244
  • PXL_20210621_151123316.jpg
    PXL_20210621_151123316.jpg
    508.7 KB · Views: 241
Well I had the car for 14 days got it used from CarMax love the car I was gonna return it the next day cause I wanted a dual motor after the fact they give you 30 days.

Well someone hit the car when it was parked...

Still waiting for there insurance company to tow the car to coparts for inspection they said...but that a salvage yard

Being that the vehicle panel is pushed down you can't even drive the car since it's hitting the tire. Also the charge port is so much lower now..
This sucks either way sigh!!!!
That stinks. I hope you get a resolution either way.

the cosmos is telling you that you should have gotton that other higher-spec car ;)

(I also should have gone dual motor. if I had the choice again, I'd definitely find a way to pay for that dual motor upgrade over my single).

on the bright side: you didn't get too attached to the old car. makes it slightly easier to leave it and move on.

Reactions: Tmoney
Yeah man, based on the damages, it definitely hit in multiple areas to deem it a total loss. Luckily Tesla holds pretty good value so their insurance should cover most of the payout and some on yours, if you have a good deductible it shouldn't be an absolute nightmare :/

damn I'd be surprised if that is under $20,000 for a repair. Not sure how frame damage applies to a unibody specifically, but since it goes into the door jam, I would assume that may be similar to having 'frame' damage.

Yes.

That will salvage a pretty high value I think (though charge port involvement makes that tricky), so probably a total loss. Also $20k plus of damage probably as someone said.

In unlikely event it is not, be sure to claim diminishment of value, after you get the car back fully repaired (you do that at the end). You can look up the approximate value of the claim to make and how to do it if it gets to that point. Probably just a few thousand in this case, since the car is older.

Good luck. Total loss probably the best outcome for you, and if you got a good deal on it originally, you’ll probably come out about even. Other than the annoyance and lack of a car.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tmoney and Sam1
It's why there are insurance adjusters and auto body shops. They need to get it to a repair shop, start to take it apart and give an assessment of how extensive the damage is. Don't rely on a bunch of people on an internet forum. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I would rather them total it personally...but, that is a battle you need to have with the insurance company.

Quick update vehicle has 129 miles on it when the accident happened... June18th.

Today it currently has 38miles left on it and car has not been driven at all same miles since June 18th.. vehicle was hit on the driver quarter panel and charging port has been shifted down...

Still waiting on what's going on

Why at a salvage yard? Usually the routine is depending on damage, not too bad, it goes to a body shop where your adjuster will come out and work with the repair shop to evaluate the damage. Good friend of mine is an adjuster for 25yrs with Nationwide, does this all day/everyday. Pretty normal.

If it went to a salvage yard, that is kind of giving an indication of total to me...but hey, things are different with each company and Tesla's are unique with the parts issues/costs.

Good luck, keep us posted.