Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14 Day winter parking at airport - RESULT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys -

wanted to share an interesting observation. We recently parked out MY for 14 days at JFK airport in the long term garage. I expected that it would drop about 1% per day.

I did the following:
- Charged to 90% at JFK super charger
- Turned off: Sentry + Wifi, Auto Lights and anything that could possibly draw any energy while I am gone.
- Manually powered down the system
- Car was at 87% by the time I parked it.
- Average temp was around 38F, so definitely not proper winter temps.

To my surprise it only dropped 2% over two weeks. I did check on the car 2 times over the two weeks but also used Tezlabs Deep-Sleep Assist. Not sure how that affected it but definitely was positively surprised that we had enough charge to drive home (140 miles) without the need of a re-charge.

Cheers!

To my surprise it only dropped 2% over two weeks.
Four or five years ago, every fifth post on this site was about phantom drain. They fixed it.

Your experience matches mine during quarantine in the summer of 2020. My ‘18 Model 3 used about 1% every six days. In this mode, the biggest consumer of electricity appeared to be when it woke up to download a software update, which happens every 2 weeks on average.

- Manually powered down the system

To my surprise it only dropped 2% over two weeks. I did check on the car 2 times over the two weeks but also used Tezlabs Deep-Sleep Assist.

I’ve never done it, but I guess I assumed if you did the power down you could only wake the car up while you’re physically there. What does powering down the car do then?

Edit: Appears it’s just put it to deep sleep now. Always assumed it was more.

Well, I have been seeing my batt run down each day, just sitting on the driveway. It was about 20miles a day when I first got it 2 weeks ago. Read here that the Sentry mode takes alot. So I did disable that. Also manually powered of the AC each time I got out of the car, just in case.

So this is what I see now after parking it for 2 days. Still drops a few each day but not the 20miles I saw before. Anything else I should be looking at?
1/31/22- 253
2/2/22- 246

Well, I have been seeing my batt run down each day, just sitting on the driveway. It was about 20miles a day when I first got it 2 weeks ago. Read here that the Sentry mode takes alot. So I did disable that. Also manually powered of the AC each time I got out of the car, just in case.

So this is what I see now after parking it for 2 days. Still drops a few each day but not the 20miles I saw before. Anything else I should be looking at?
1/31/22- 253
2/2/22- 246
Recommend you tap the estimated range value next to the battery icon to display the percent state of charge (SOC). SOC is a more accurate. The SOC dropped 2.7% over the shown period.

As the outside temperature rises Cabin Overheat Protection may activate to maintain the cabin temperature below 105F. Cabin Overheat can use quite a bit of the battery (~.75kWh), per hour, although Cabin Overheat Protection only remains active for 12 hours after you park. You can turn off Cabin Overheat Protection or set this to fan only (no AC.)

Last edited:
Reactions: DanDi58

1/31/22- 253
2/2/22- 246
I would say that's normal. My Y gets similar numbers in my garage, at a perfect 70F temperature. It consistently loses 3-4 miles over a 24 hour period. I've been on trips of 5-7 days each quarter in the past two years, and it sure is consistent. I also power down the car and not checking on the app. But otherwise, my battery is great. After 8 months and 10K miles, I'm only losing 7 miles of range (319 from 326).

Recommend you tap the estimated range value next to the battery icon to display the percent state of charge (SOC). SOC is a more accurate. The SOC dropped 2.7% over the shown period.

As the outside temperature rises Cabin Overheat Protection may activate to maintain the cabin temperature below 105F. Cabin Overheat can use quite a bit of the battery (~.75kWh), per hour, although Cabin Overheat Protection only remains active for 12 hours after you park. You can turn off Cabin Overheat Protection or set this to fan only (no AC.)
Thanks.
Oh, I did turn off the Cabin Overheat protection too, when I disabled the Sentry mode.

I would say that's normal. My Y gets similar numbers in my garage, at a perfect 70F temperature. It consistently loses 3-4 miles over a 24 hour period. I've been on trips of 5-7 days each quarter in the past two years, and it sure is consistent. I also power down the car and not checking on the app. But otherwise, my battery is great. After 8 months and 10K miles, I'm only losing 7 miles of range (319 from 326).
You mentioned power down the car. Is there other steps more than actually power off the ac and locking the car? I'm probably not for sure. Any tips is appreciated.

You guys referring to "miles" really need to do as jcanoe says first thing - change to the percent state of charge vs miles. That's the first step to maintaining your sanity....
This very much depends on people's personality type. But first off, I make sure to say "rated miles" instead of "miles", to remember and make clear that it is the optimistic, granny-style driving unit of measure of the EPA, and will not usually correspond to real miles of distance. It's informative, but is always going to be ballpark high. People frustrate themselves when they say "miles" and then are thinking of it as "miles", and then it turns out not to be.

So if you are a laid back person like I am and can use that as an optimistic fuzzy unit of measure, then it's fine. But if you are one who stresses over that and it gets under your skin that it's not literal miles, then yeah, you should probably switch to % so you don't have to see it and let it bother you.

You mentioned power down the car. Is there other steps more than actually power off the ac and locking the car? I'm probably not for sure. Any tips is appreciated.
Yes, Controls, Safety, Power Off. Honestly I don't know if this does anything more than putting the car into deep sleep right away, but I do this when I'm about to go on an extended trip. It doesn't interfere with scheduled charging while powered off.

So you can leave it somewhere undriven and unloved for 14 days in a row? YOU ARE NOT WORTHY! ;-)
I know you're joking. Necessity is the mother of invention, however. We're about to park our 2023 Y LR at PDX for 10 days while in Hawaii. I appreciate the posters who give specific suggestions rather than opinions. We're leaving with 90% charge, preconditioned for departure. Only 30 miles to airport so we should arrive with 80%. I will refrain from checking on it with the Tesla app, waking it up. No one has specifically said how to engage what is being referred to as 'deep sleep'. If an app can do it, we should be able to manually do it sitting there. I'm an iOS coder, and the Tesla API only allows apps to do part of what you can do manually at the console, a rather small part really, more's the pity.

I know you're joking. Necessity is the mother of invention, however. We're about to park our 2023 Y LR at PDX for 10 days while in Hawaii. I appreciate the posters who give specific suggestions rather than opinions. We're leaving with 90% charge, preconditioned for departure. Only 30 miles to airport so we should arrive with 80%. I will refrain from checking on it with the Tesla app, waking it up. No one has specifically said how to engage what is being referred to as 'deep sleep'. If an app can do it, we should be able to manually do it sitting there. I'm an iOS coder, and the Tesla API only allows apps to do part of what you can do manually at the console, a rather small part really, more's the pity.
Do you plan to leave Sentry mode active while parked at PDX? Over 10 days this will use 60% or more of the battery charge. (Sentry mode will turn off if the battery state of charge drops to 20%). Are you OK with coming back to your Model Y and the battery having a 20% charge?

You might be able to snag one of the 42 EV charging spots if you are lucky in the red lot. They do tend to be full but I've got one a couple times. Free with parking cost. Only 120v 20amp, but more than enough to charge and keep sentry mode on.

You might be able to snag one of the 42 EV charging spots if you are lucky in the red lot. They do tend to be full but I've got one a couple times. Free with parking cost. Only 120v 20amp, but more than enough to charge and keep sentry mode on.
We're parking in a cheap place, Super 8 'hotel' near airport, $6/night. No charging like that available, I'm sure.

Tesla does say this in the owners manual "When not in use, Model Y enters a sleep mode to conserve energy. Reduce the number of times you check your vehicle’s status on the mobile app, as this automatically wakes up your vehicle and starts normal energy consumption."

Reactions: 1965Falcon
We're parking in a cheap place, Super 8 'hotel' near airport, $6/night. No charging like that available, I'm sure.

Tesla does say this in the owners manual "When not in use, Model Y enters a sleep mode to conserve energy. Reduce the number of times you check your vehicle’s status on the mobile app, as this automatically wakes up your vehicle and starts normal energy consumption."
The Tesla Model Y can only enter a sleep mode when Sentry mode and Smart Summon (a FSD feature) are disabled. Otherwise the Tesla Model Y remains in standby mode, consuming ~230W continuously. It is not Sentry mode that consumes all of that power, it is the fact that the Tesla Model Y remains in standby mode. (Even when Sentry mode is disabled the Tesla Model Y will lock and the vehicle alarm will be set.)