Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14 Grand and no more range wtf

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe you got a remanufactured pack with matched capacity.
I think that's how they handle a battery replacement when a remanufactured battery is used for warranty replacements. They use a remanufactured battery that has a similar capacity as the one being replaced. They don't replace it with a battery that would provide the original mileage/charge level. That would require the purchase of a new battery, as we've seen in other threads.

The image above does show "capacity re-assignment".

Thanks! did both. If they want 14 grand I expect a pack at full capacity. Not this bullshit old used worn out pack to "get by". I guess they do this for warranty work and don't realize in the real world of REMANUFACTURED parts it's AS WAS WHEN NEW not old used crap. fully contested charges at my VISA card.

When did you go to Autozone and buy a reman AC compressor to open it up and find a junk yard "working" compressor in the box LOL
what was the issue with the pack that led you to have to buy a 'new' one?

Reactions: PStewart
What did they say at the SC about the crossed off CAC number?
Nothing. I contested my credit card charges, and am texting the SC that this is not acceptable by reman standards. They appear to be trying to go up the management chain to get a resolution, told them If I had known I was getting a pack of the same capacity thats old I would never said ok to doing this. Not happy. "cycling" did not fix this or magically bring back range. hopefully they will pull through. I love the cars and usually like the SC as well

what was the issue with the pack that led you to have to buy a 'new' one?
It completely died, stopped charging. had been losing capacity for about 2 years and always showing dotted lines to reduce current under load for power and regen but was ok and we just assumed it was protecting it's self for the long haul. Didn't know it was getting so far out of balance it was about to fail.

• Informative
Reactions: PStewart
Sounds like an expectation non commnication.

Did Tesla give you a range expectation upfront before they did the job? In writing? Anything?
If not, do you typically use/need 260?

I know the last part doesnt make you feel any better, BUT I read a book that said we often worry about things where 85% never happens.
So if you rarely if ever need the 260......

Life is short. Enjoy it.
even if he doesn't use the full range of the car larger packs supercharge faster. like my P85D the SC starts at 125kW at 5% then by 20% I'm down to 80kW, vs a 100kWh pack where it doesn't drop to 80kW till about 60% charge.
So if they slapped in a smaller pack then his SC speeds will be nerfed. and it sucks to have to sit there for an extra 20+ min over what the screen originally says every time you use a SC. car says 15 min to charge them move along, but in reality it ends up being 40'ish min before you can move along

Reactions: ‘Merica
I think that's how they handle a battery replacement when a remanufactured battery is used for warranty replacements. They use a remanufactured battery that has a similar capacity as the one being replaced. They don't replace it with a battery that would provide the original mileage/charge level. That would require the purchase of a new battery, as we've seen in other threads.

The image above does show "capacity re-assignment".

Capacity matching is the normal way for warranty replacements. Paid replacements are a different matter.

It seems like the OP assumed a particular meaning of re-manufactured that doesn't apply to battery packs and didn't know what questions they should ask to know whether the pack was acceptable.

Capacity matching is the normal way for warranty replacements. Paid replacements are a different matter.

It seems like the OP assumed a particular meaning of re-manufactured that doesn't apply to battery packs and didn't know what questions they should ask to know whether the pack was acceptable.
And I think this is the issue. They assumed it was warranty capacity matching time. And did not realize I was paying 14 thousand dollars for a new pack. Hopefully. If a discussion was had up front I would NEVER drop 14k on an old capacity matched pack to a 2012 pack with 170,000 miles on it LOL!

They may have, but that options is ~$22k, not ~$14k. So it would have cost an additional ~$8k.
Not asking for an "upgrade" 90kw. Want a new cell packed reman 85 or better that's got real capacity not some old 2014 pack that failed and they replaced a module in to get into warranty cars to keep them going down the road past warranty period....

Recent reports talk about the option of the new 90kWh battery, available as 90 or 85 software locked version.
@Jason Bloomberg tells his story in several threads (like this one: #39 ), as well as @TwistedGray's (although in his case, it was the previous owner who paid for the new battery).

Maybe check with the Service Center why they did not propose you the option of the new battery, which seems great, instead of a reman ?

Reactions: TwistedGray
And I think this is the issue. They assumed it was warranty capacity matching time. And did not realize I was paying 14 thousand dollars for a new pack. Hopefully. If a discussion was had up front I would NEVER drop 14k on an old capacity matched pack to a 2012 pack with 170,000 miles on it LOL!

As others mentioned, you paid $14,000 for a remanufactured pack. You did NOT pay for a new battery pack ($22,000 as has been documented by myself and Jason).

What a shitty position to be in regardless, and it's more unfortunate that they didn't give you the options of spending $14k vs $22k. Hell, maybe you can convince them to pull the remanufactured battery and swap it for a new one and ... split the difference?

Also to add...your reman battery only has a ONE year warranty where a new battery comes with a 4 year (50k) warranty. It would be worth bumping up to a new battery. We're just shy of 300 miles on a full, 100%, charge.

Reactions: ‘Merica