Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14 Hours to cross 800Km with SR+...[complaint about range in winter]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Swedish law for example:
3 kap. 16 § trafikförordningen (1998:1276): ”En förare får inte utan giltigt skäl köra med överdrivet låg hastighet, plötsligt bromsa eller på något annat sätt hindra andra förares körning.”

Section 16 of the Traffic Ordinance (1998: 1276): "A driver may not, without a valid reason, drive at excessively low speeds, suddenly brake or in any other way obstruct other drivers' driving."

Or UK
Driving too slowly could land you huge fines in the UK - Here's what you need to know

100km/h is completely fine and not excessively low speed. afterall trucks are limited to 80 to 90km/h. it is pretty much agreed that the cutoff is around 60km/h for the motorway.

This not correct, Bjorn has seen significant benefits from the heat pump at temperatures well below 0C, Tesla has also stated that the effective temperature range of the heat pump has been extended by pre-warming circuits
Well, if you actually watched his latest video you see that anything below 0° the heat pump has a very slight advantage. Also a few Canadians did test this and saw no advantage below -10°. I also did a few tests that I have to put into a video, but the results were mixed and there were a lot of scenarios where the heat pump didn't help by a lot. I think the best I got was 10% efficiency gain in perfect heat pump +5 to+10C conditions
With a Tesla you can drive 150km/hour for 1-2 hours then you need to stop and charge for an hour before its possible to drive for another 1-2 hours.
150km/h gives you a range of about 320km on Model 3 LR and about 400km on LR Model S. That is above your 2 hours, because the avg speed is usually a bit lower. On V3 it takes about 25 Minutes to get to 80% which will give you another 250kms at these speeds. But there is hardly a stretch of road where you can drive 500km without construction or lower speed limit so I would say more like 550-600km.

Most roads in Europe you can only do 130-140km/h and a LR will yield about 370-400km at these speeds.Plenty enough.

Hello !
Wanted to put in my 2 cents. We got the SR+ about 2 weeks ago and here in Quebec Canada winter gets pretty cold. So far I am not impressed with the range at all. We owned a Kia Soul EV before and the range was pretty low in comparison with model 3 but...
It would recalculate the real range that you get real time. Example: full battery would give around 200km, in winter it would be around 150km. When you turn the heat on it would go down to 140km depending how cold it is and you know you have 140km. I drove to the point where we had around 10km left and it was pretty accurate. I know model 3 shows average projected range and it would be most realistic number of km we would get. So far, on the full charge we are getting less than 200km of real range. Dont know if this is normal or if the range differs from car to car. I know that there are many tangibles such as style of driving, weather, charging habits etc. We are still getting used to the car. If anyone from QC here with SR+2021 can share their experience so far it would be appreciated.

Reactions: XPsionic
Just throwing in what we have experienced. We have a 600 mile or 965 km round trip we have done 5 times now in varying weather. This is from Green Bay, WI to Minneapolis, MN to drop off, pick up or visit our son in college there and then driving home the same day.

Sep 06 - 243wh/mi - 74F - 1:06 charge - 10:20 trip
Nov 28 - 286wh/mi - 39F - 1:43 charge - 11:13 trip
Dec 18 - 318wh/mi - 33F - 1:50 charge - 1:21 trip (snow tires)
Jan 01 - 335wh/mi - 20F - 2:20 charge - 11:33 trip (snow tires)

Now that we have done the trip I am guessing I could get the charge times down when it is warmer picking when to charge and how much as the first few trips I was getting to the chargers with 20+% and later we get there to the charger with 5-10%[/QUOTE ]

You have a very nice consumption. Perhaps mostly plains terrain? I drive in hilly area in the finger lakes region in upstate New York and in winter (as of today, on average temperature -5C ~ 23F), with preheating by charging the battery for about 2 hours on a 6kW chargepoint station, I get a consumption rate on the order of 400 Wh/mile for a 30 mile round trip

From Quebec too, albeit with a long range 2020. Don't look at the battery estimated range, put that in percentage and look at the consumption graph if you want a reasonable estimate of remaining range. Use ABetterRoutePlanner to plan trips. Get on the quebec tesla groups, facebook etc, there are faqs that will help you.
Thank you ! Will do.

I know but when you buy a car, you should at least be able to get close to that rating, which for me almost never happens, despite being below the rated wh/miles
Everyone's driving circumstance is different. The EPA rating is a benchmark that everyone understands and everyone has some sense of how they compare to the benchmark. You may not get close to the EPA rating, but surely others do. My 2018 LR-AWD is averaging 245Wh/mile. I think I'm pretty close to the rating, but I've always gotten close to the EPA rating in my ICE vehicles as well. So, the EPA rating is a benchmark that is relatively consistent for me, which is all that it needs to be, consistent.

I know but when you buy a car, you should at least be able to get close to that rating, which for me almost never happens, despite being below the rated wh/miles

that does not make any sense. Teslas are actually very, very close to their rated range during normal driving unlike their ICE brethren.

Like... a Tesla Model 3 LRAWD is rated for like 16.5kw/100km by the EPA (I think 490km or so was their EPA highway result with modifier... That includes the 4.5% buffer) during highway driving. If you drive like 110kmhish with frequent sprinting in between you will pretty much exactly hit that.

A BMW e46 320i is rated for 6.9L/100km on the highway EPA cycle with modifer. But you will never hit that going 110km/h with frequent sprinting in between. I'd say 8.5L or so is more accurate.