Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$1400 estimate to replace passenger side mirror?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had a major storm here, overnight, and it looks like debris hit my passenger side mirror, took it to a local Tesla certified body shop and they gave me a $1400 estimate. Is this a normal price for this? I assume I can just make a comprehensive claim on my insurance, but I don’t know if my rates will go up too much or not because of it so I’m debating out of pocket or insurance also.
E7E06ED0-D4E6-467E-874E-ADA30E20B535.jpeg

Attachments

• A39D7ACB-591E-4535-B9C9-29A3271FD2CA.jpeg
    A39D7ACB-591E-4535-B9C9-29A3271FD2CA.jpeg
    260.2 KB · Views: 256
Check with your insurance. Some companies don’t surcharge for first time comp claims. But if you have an accident free discount you might lose that. Also the amount of your deductible for comp might be a factor in your decision.
Yeah insurance said I could do comprehensive, and it’s $500 deductible. Also I hope my rates don’t go up lol

They have to disconnect the high voltage from the battery I guess
They don't... I did it with car powered on, no issues or errors... tested new mirror before installing it.
I replaced driver side mirror on mine, it is a bit of a tuff job due to 3 screws being behind rubber piece that's held with double sided tape n goes all along the front side of the door and removing/inserting mirror is a chore due to tight space but its def doable in about 2hrs..
U haven't shown pics of damage but painted caps come off the mirror n can be replaced separate from the mirror or vice versa.
Also u can get a used mirror of your color from ebay or such (what i did)...
I got lucky n found a Pearl white mirror with just a small ding for $375 including shipping.

1668205711599.png

sorry for blurry pic, its from video..
1668205531499.png

They are overcharging you. It takes about 20mins to swap the mirror. Pop the door panel off. Pull the black weather stripping. Three screws. Then you unplug the cables and pull them through.

I am not sure about painting but it might come prepainted from Tesla. I'd call Tesla and ask how much to buy the mirror.

Reactions: dbldwn02
$1400 is beyond criminal. It takes about 30 minutes for experienced body shop labor and about an hour for the DIY like me to replace the side mirror.
Buy the mirror directly from Tesla. They will be less expensive than a body shop. Subscribe for free to Tesla's factory service manual and replace the mirror yourself.

The skull cap is part number 1054431-00-D and can often be found in various colors on ebay and other used auto part sites for about $100 in perfect condition.

You can also just buy a new unpainted one from Tesla and then take it to any body shop that's willing to paint it by code. It doesn't need to be blended since there are no adjacent panels.

That’s a LOT of labor for a claim like this, and I think some of that seem to be possibly paint shop, for blending etc of the new mirror.. either it comes stock and gets painted or it comes painted and gets blended, and then clear coated.

I have the feeling this body shop is just putting together the claim as if it’s part of a regular ACCIDENT claim, where your insurance wouldn’t pay and a responsible party would, and their insurance.. so yeah, the somewhat reasonable or realistic additions get added up.

I’d probably try for a different shop to do it, or what about Tesla? Don’t they do repairs like this?

As others have said, a good insurer will NOT increase premiums for a comprehensive claim, and even those that do usually don’t for a year (or upon annual policy ’renewal’)