Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

#142 - Red - Sherman Oaks, CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are at the other cars for sale as well. Looks like a collector thinning the herd.

Thousand Oaks Ca at 67k right now with 7 bids, 4 days to go.

edit:
Now looking at the seller's feedback they may be a buyer/seller dealer/collector.

Last edited:
Perhaps I'm naive, or stupid or something, but this is yet another roadster on e-bay being sold with very few miles on it. Are people just buying them as yard ornaments or something? Status symbols maybe?

Crap, I drive almost 300 miles a week, and you can bet I'd have over 1000 miles on my roadster in the first month if I could buy one. Seems very odd to this dumb hillbilly.

Perhaps I'm naive, or stupid or something, but this is yet another roadster on e-bay being sold with very few miles on it. Are people just buying them as yard ornaments or something? Status symbols maybe?

Crap, I drive almost 300 miles a week, and you can bet I'd have over 1000 miles on my roadster in the first month if I could buy one. Seems very odd to this dumb hillbilly.

Indeed many people DO do that.

Whoever is answering the questions on Ebay is confusing.

Q: It is hard to tell in the pictures -- is this car the deep red or the bright red Tesla color?
Answered on Apr-02-09
A: It is the bright red tesla color...

The car really looks like Radiant Red. Yet the person answering the Ebay question appears to be indicating that it is Fusion Red.

I can think of a lot of possible reasons that something like this could happen:

#1: Someone got it and then found they didn't like it as much as they had hoped. Usual reason is probably the tight fit getting in and out. Great for some, but some people don't like it.

#2: Someone got it and then due to financial circumstances had to sell it.

#3: Someone bought it thinking there would be an opportunity to make a quick buck reselling it as an immediate collectors item.

#4: Asset from a divorce.

#5: Some other car company bought one to analyze it, and now that they are done they are selling it off.

#6: They are selling it to use the money as deposit for Model S or Roadster Sport.

#7: Someone bought it at a charity auction because they wanted to support the charity, but didn't really want to keep it.

#8: Someone bought it at a charity auction in a previous year to use the purchase as a write off in that year. Now they are getting some of that money back in a year where they don't need a write off.

#9: Someone got it as a gift, but didn't need it.

#10: Someone bought it to use as part of a fleet for say an exotic car experience program, but then dissolved the business idea.

Anyways, I think you can see there are a lot of reasons why someone might buy a car then immediately turn around and sell it.

I can think of a lot of possible reasons that something like this could happen:

#1: Someone got it and then found they didn't like it as much as they had hoped. Usual reason is probably the tight fit getting in and out. Great for some, but some people don't like it.

#2: Someone got it and then due to financial circumstances had to sell it.

#3: Someone bought it thinking there would be an opportunity to make a quick buck reselling it as an immediate collectors item.

#4: Asset from a divorce.

#5: Some other car company bought one to analyze it, and now that they are done they are selling it off.

#6: They are selling it to use the money as deposit for Model S or Roadster Sport.

#7: Someone bought it at a charity auction because they wanted to support the charity, but didn't really want to keep it.

#8: Someone bought it at a charity auction in a previous year to use the purchase as a write off in that year. Now they are getting some of that money back in a year where they don't need a write off.

#9: Someone got it as a gift, but didn't need it.

#10: Someone bought it to use as part of a fleet for say an exotic car experience program, but then dissolved the business idea.

Anyways, I think you can see there are a lot of reasons why someone might buy a car then immediately turn around and sell it.
I can think of many as well, but the Roadster seems like an unlikely candidate for most of the ones you listed and that I can think of. Getting on a multi-year waiting list, finally taking delivery, then not even driving the thing before selling it. I can see one or two people doing so, but out of the couple hundred delivered the proportion of cars being e-bayed with low miles seems unusual to me.

I think the most likely reason is the need for cash because of the economy.
One of the Ebay listings specifically cited the economy and the business of the owner. His financial situation had changed. I believe it was the Orange Roadster that was first on Ebay.

The Roadsters that were offered for charity have sold for $125,000 to $160,000. So early Roadster owners at $92,000 have the potential for making some money by following through with their orders, then placing the Roadster for sale right away.

I think this premium will likely disappear within the next few months. As the waiting list declines, there is no need for anyone to pay a premium.

After that, the only way a premium will come back is if Tesla goes bankrupt or the Roadster is discontinued in favor of the Model S.

I think the most likely reason is the need for cash because of the economy.
One of the Ebay listings specifically cited the economy and the business of the owner. His financial situation had changed. I believe it was the Orange Roadster that was first on Ebay.

The Roadsters that were offered for charity have sold for $125,000 to $160,000. So early Roadster owners at $92,000 have the potential for making some money by following through with their orders, then placing the Roadster for sale right away.

I think this premium will likely disappear within the next few months. As the waiting list declines, there is no need for anyone to pay a premium.

After that, the only way a premium will come back is if Tesla goes bankrupt or the Roadster is discontinued in favor of the Model S.
Oh, I'm sure money is a motivating factor for choosing to sell...that's not what surprises me. What surprises me is the relatively few miles on these vehicles. Clearly these things were shown off to friends, but never really driven. Guarantee my Model S will have racked up 1000+ miles the first month I have it!

Seen in the ebay comments for the #142 auction:
Everything looks as a new car...It is virtually brand new...Absolutely nothing that requires attention...Car looks, drives and handles as new...My client "celebrity" took possession in early January but decided that he does not use enough to justify as he is in Europe most of the time...We are a licensed auto dealer specializing in high end executives and celebrity clientele...

HA!

Looks like they went a little crazy with the cut and pasting, :smile:

The Top Gear team calculated that their extremely demanding driving (which Top Gear is famous for putting cars through) would deplete the charge after 53 miles.

The second Tesla roadster reviewed experienced overheating and thus also reduced its power output. The car was shown parked, however, thermal limits only reduce the maximum speed by 16% to 105 mph (169 km/h).[81] Before they could bring the first Tesla roadster out, a "brake failure" had to be fixed. The "brake failure" turned out to be a blown fuse which affected the auto-assist braking feature and not the ability of the car to be stopped. Despite Tesla's conviction that the car was up and running in no time, Clarkson rebuffed saying "Nobody gives a flying **** how the brakes failed. Whether it was a blown fuse or not, they were still not working." [80] Clarkson ended the televised review with the phrase "What we have here then is an astonishing achievement. The first electric car you would actually want to buy. It's just a shame then that in the real world, it doesn't seem to work."

Seller

Last edited:
Oh, I'm sure money is a motivating factor for choosing to sell...that's not what surprises me. What surprises me is the relatively few miles on these vehicles. Clearly these things were shown off to friends, but never really driven. Guarantee my Model S will have racked up 1000+ miles the first month I have it!

This one has 268 miles on it. I was advised that if I needed to sell my Roadster, I should decide before I'd put 100 miles on it.

With all the advance payments that Tesla demands, most of these cars have low mileage because the owners ran out of money three months before they got the car, and are in a hurry to get back into the black!