Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'15 70D: End of Warranty Questions to Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My '15 70D has a "born on" (ie manufactured) date of July 2015 and I took delivery in August of 2015. The number of issues with the car has been very minimal and I'd like to keep it that way as I roll out of the 8-year DU/battery warranty. In July I'll have it in for the recommended services (brake fluid check, A/C desiccant bag replacement, and brake calipers clean/lubricated). Thinking about the DU/Battery the only thing I've seen in these forums to ask is around coolant leakage.

Aside from that is there anything you would ask the service center to check to reduce the risk of needing a new DU and/or battery after the warranty expires?

Last edited:
Almost the same situation, so I am also interested in that answer.
But I did read in the referenced thread that the drive unit leakage issue does not apply to our non-performance model, fortunately.
To be clear, it doesn't apply to cars with small rear drive units like the 70D/75D/85D/90D/100D, which means the non-performance dual motor legacy Model S/X like you both have.

Performance (RWD and dual motor) and non-performance (RWD) legacy Model S/X are at risk.

Your cars are probably late enough in 2015 in avoid the battery water ingress issues wk057 so often sees in earlier cars. Hopefully your cars also have the AC drains extended to not dump water on top of the battery (which together with a seal issue, may have contributed to the earlier water issues).

I would ask them to change the brake fluid instead of just check, here is their previously existed annual service check document which might give some ideas. Remember that you need to let them know your intentions during the service request, otherwise they will just ignore it. If you haven’t yet changed the 12V then just ask one with you (if able for DIY) for changing at home.
Usually there is weakness in PTC heater, coolant pumps and battery electrical heater with this ages of the car. I have had to change two of last items. If they check AC then ask to check the front condenser cores as they might have weakness with this age. I had one of them changed as well, as of puncture.

Attachments

• ModelS_Annual_Service-1.pdf
    81.1 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: RockinWithKids
Mine is a '17 75D so I still have a couple of years of DU/Battery warranty. But looking ahead, I was thinking that I would keep it a maximum of 2 more years and trade it in to avoid any big issues with DU/Battery/electronics, etc. Are most people keeping their cars past this warranty? Seems risky but I might be completely off base.