Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

15 cars in line, 2 hour wait

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is just a small taste of the coming Model 3 tsunami ... get ready and brace yourself for this nationwide :cool:

Mt Shasta: 4 stalls
Corning: 6 stalls

StallsOpenTotalPer/Con

Also note that Model 3 will be more efficient then the Model S/X.

Get a grip people.

PS: April 2024 solar eclipse totality includes Western/Northern Maine. :cool:

downstate IL was filled with Teslas. It was like the apocalypse down there. Tiny rural roads FILLED with cars. Everyone stuck. Accidents left and right.

My car has so many scratches from rocks. We lucked out on supercharging. Mt. Vernon was packed and on the way down we only got 40kw and on the way back there were 5 cars waiting to supercharge. Its an 8 stall station. Even Springfield was full after we got there (we were 2nd and got 99kw on 2A). Then at Normal IL we stopped for lunch and got 90s again as we were the only one at first (4 stall) but it was full and there was a line after we finished lunch.

Lots of people were charging to 100% and really didn't care that there was a line. I only filled to what we needed + 10% buffer due to insanity). There is little point waiting for >90% SoC since there is a surprising SC density in downstate IL.

I was disappointed that owners weren't really considerate. It really added to the stress of the experience that owners had fully charged cars and just didn't move them.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I was disappointed that owners weren't really considerate. It really added to the stress of the experience that owners had fully charged cars and just didn't move them.

It is sad that you have had a much different experience than I in terms of how gracious the other owners are. Talking with a few friends that visited the Superchargers around Charlotte, NC, many saw 12+ cars at the Superchargers, but nearly no wait. Everyone quickly moved their cars and the flow was quite steady. Quite the different experience than reports out of California.

It is sad that you have had a much different experience than I in terms of how gracious the other owners are. Talking with a few friends that visited the Superchargers around Charlotte, NC, many saw 12+ cars at the Superchargers, but nearly no wait. Everyone quickly moved their cars and the flow was quite steady. Quite the different experience than reports out of California.
that could be a because of the very different attitudes of people in very densely populated areas and those in less populated areas. there is something to the cliche of southern hospitality

Reactions: Cyclone
I'm not calling out every person there. I didn't take a survey of each car's SoC but I did notice that 4 cars were there in Mt. Vernon before I got there and were still there after I left (with no owners in sight).

Most owners I spoke to were excited about the eclipse and some had never taken a long road trip with their cars. But a few owners who hog resources can make it rougher.

One owner even offered me their spare solar glasses. So its a nice community and Tesla owners, on average, likely are better than most but it wasn't all roses and champagne.

I'd also like to add a special thank you to a blue model X owner whose family got so tired of waiting and the eclipse traffic mania (never seen so many cars!) that they gave up their spot in line and we saved 30 minutes. So it wasn't all problems and someone's generosity allowed us to get home that much faster. They ended up, I think, getting a hotel room before I didn't see them again. His daughter seemed really tired. It was super stressful getting out of Carbondale (Mt. Vernon is 45 min to 1 hour drive without traffic, took us 4 hours due to insanity). Drive to springfield is usually 2 hours, took 4). We left at 2pm, arrived at 11pm. Without charging and traffic, we were supposed to be home at 545.

I just did an overnight road trip from Vancouver BC to the Salem OR area to watch the eclipse. Before leaving home I was very worried about Supercharger congestion and charging delays especially on the return trip 8/21, but in the end it turned out not too bad at the chargers north of Salem. The traffic itself on the highways was incredibly heavy (expected) e.g. it took 5hrs driving north from Woodburn to Centralia instead of the usual 2hrs - but overall it was worth it to experience the eclipse in person.

I did encounter full stations at several locations both on the way down Sunday and again on return Monday, but I was lucky in each case being either the first in line and only having to wait a few minutes, or having another car pull out just as I arrived. In each of those cases after I plugged in, a short line soon formed afterwards (never more than 3 or 4 cars) so I guess I was lucky travelling just ahead of the pack, but overall turnover of the chargers seemed good. Happy to see the lineups that did form were orderly and other drivers all friendly and helpful determining the order - at one stop a driver took it upon herself to give out numbered pieces of paper to the people in line.

While charging I met one guy who drove up from California who said there was one Supercharger in CA with something like 42 cars there, and he was #14 in line. Luckily it wasn't so crazy heading north out of OR.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I was part of the crowd traveling back down I 5 from Oregon to California after the eclipse on Monday. Springfield (Eugene), Grants Pass, Shasta and Corning all had lines more than 25 cars long. Wait times exceeded 4 hours in many cases. At Grants Pass witnessed a near riot when one lady tried to jump the line. It was already 1:00 AM and many nerves relatively fried.... As many have said, a once every few decades type event. We were on the road for almost 24 hours. Lesson learned...

However, never having experienced totality before, I must say it was absolutely worth it.

Also, you meet a surprisingly large number of super nice owners - resulting in many "Tesla moments"...

So a big shoutout to all the owners who stepped up and started organizing lines at the various stations, handing out number slips and keeping track of cars coming and going....You know who you are - Thank you!

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: mmd and croman
We drove 560 miles from San Jose, CA to Corvallis, OR on I-5. Left 3am on Sunday morning. No wait at Corning SC, 30 min wait at Mt. Shasta SC. Then at Grants Pass SC suddenly a line of 10 cars waiting and only 4 stalls. Luckily there was an Aerovironment Chademo next to the Tesla SC and I had my adapter with me. So I skipped the line. Arrived in Corvallis, OR at 2pm. Charged to 100% at hotel overnight. We left Corvallis right after the totality at 10:30am on Monday. I expected long lines at SC, but surprisingly no wait on the return trip. Charged at Grants Pass, Mt. Shasta, skipped Corning and charged in Vacaville. Great trip. 1150 miles, 22 hours driving for 2 minutes of darkness. Was well worth it.

I assume you're here to generously offer a clever solution that Tesla didn't think of yet?

*looks around* Crap, i'm on TMC, nevermind, carry on with the redundant pointless complaining.
I have offered a suggestion on another thread.

Tesla could create mobile Supercharger units consisting of trucks loaded with batteries and controllers which could charge say 6 cars simultaneously, and maybe a total of 48 complete charges. For predictable surge cases, the trucks could be deployed to or near the slammed superchargers with the locations and utilization added to all Tesla displays.

Since these wouldn't be part of the Supercharging network, if Tesla wanted to they could charge for using the service to pay for it. People could either pay or wait.

I assume people are looking at alternatives in the area? CHAdeMO in Chico, NEMA 14-50s, etc. CHAdeMOs might be also overused,

On the way back I looked for alternatives. In Grand Falls I used a CHADeMO station from aeroVironment. It was a few steps from the Supercharger were 6 other cars where waiting an about a 2 hour wait. I told everyone about it but no one else had a CHADeMO adapter. There are many CHADeMO stations along I5. It saved me 2 hours of waiting and helped make the line a little less long.

When all stalls are taken and the Supercharger cabinets are 'panting' with the constant max load, the charge speed of CHADeMO is actually not slower overall. Certainly beats waiting in line.