Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

15 cars in line, 2 hour wait

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mark my words ... This will be the new normal as Tesla rolls out 500,000 Model 3s across the country with limited SC infrastructure.
Check out the Model 3 forum ... many new owners are planning to use Supercharging exclusively to charge, with no home charging. :cool:

I just did an overnight road trip from Vancouver BC to the Salem OR area to watch the eclipse. Before leaving home I was very worried about Supercharger congestion and charging delays especially on the return trip 8/21, but in the end it turned out not too bad at the chargers north of Salem. The traffic itself on the highways was incredibly heavy (expected) e.g. it took 5hrs driving north from Woodburn to Centralia instead of the usual 2hrs - but overall it was worth it to experience the eclipse in person.

While charging I met one guy who drove up from California who said there was one Supercharger in CA with something like 42 cars there, and he was #14 in line. Luckily it wasn't so crazy heading north out of OR.

There is a member here, @Ulmo, who got rid of his Tesla because of the repeated SC fees. Isn't that still in place?
OMG good lord no, @mmd; I got rid of it because I found out my tax accountant wasn't how you are supposed to hire a tax professional, and I owe taxes. I learned that you must get something called a CPA. I needed the money. A few SuperCharger fees didn't bother me greatly, but I can see where someone younger who is less wealthy could quickly stack them up in a regular commute and Tesla would never tell them about it, like a bank ruining someone's life, until it's too late. As we got into it in more detail, I kept running the calculations, and realized that even that would be rare even if Tesla is really awful about notifications, because of the sheer numbers of times one uses SuperChargers and how fast the fees stack up (i.e., they don't stack up super fast and super high). Tesla's communications does need to be improved, though (that is a constant).

OMG good lord no, @mmd; I got rid of it because I found out my tax accountant wasn't how you are supposed to hire a tax professional, and I owe taxes. I learned that you must get something called a CPA. I needed the money. A few SuperCharger fees didn't bother me greatly, but I can see where someone younger who is less wealthy could quickly stack them up in a regular commute and Tesla would never tell them about it, like a bank ruining someone's life, until it's too late. As we got into it in more detail, I kept running the calculations, and realized that even that would be rare even if Tesla is really awful about notifications, because of the sheer numbers of times one uses SuperChargers and how fast the fees stack up (i.e., they don't stack up super fast and super high). Tesla's communications does need to be improved, though (that is a constant).

OK, I was clearly mistaken :) I read some of your complaints on how you had to pay these fees few times because of getting stuck at payment registers and delays for washing your hands, IIRC. Then I saw you selling your car here. and I connected the dots! I thought, you didn't like the Tesla principle of these charges for these small delays, and sold because of that :) It seems I was wrong.

could someone translate this for me?

Had a similar experience on I-5 between Seattle and Salem, OR.
I think our demographic includes eclipse junkies - myself included.

On another note, we're living in a sweet spot wherein there are more chargers than EVs.
Let's hope that the charging infrastructure keeps up with EV adoption.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
could someone translate this for me?

Sure.

Ó guð nei, @mmd; ég losnaði við hann því ég fann út að bókhaldarinn minn væri ekki rétta manninn til á að ráða sem skattasérfræðing, og ég skulda skatta. Ég lærði að maður eigi að finna einhvern sem heitir löggiltur endurskoðandi. Mig vantaði peningana. Nokkuð SuperCharger gjöld trufluðu mig ekki mikið, en ég skil hvernig einhver sem er yngri og fátækari gæti safnað þau hratt í daglegri keyrslu og Tesla myndi aldrei segja honum frá því, eins og banki að eyðileggja fyrir manni lífið, fyrr en það sé orðið of seint. Þegar við endurskoðuðum málið itarlegra hélt ég áfram að gera útreikningana og tók eftir því að jafnvel þetta væri sjáldgæft ef Tesla væri mjög leiðinleg um tilkynningar, af því að maður notar Supercharger svakalega oft og hvað gjöldin safnast hratt (þ.e.a.s., þau safnast ekki mjög hratt og verða ekki mjög mikil). Samt ætti samband við Teslu að skána (það er alltaf þannig).

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
thanks, regardless of the language used it comes off as gibberish to me
Yes. Just as clear as the original one.

Basically, Ulmo got a bad tax consultant to work on his/her finances and ended up owing more than anticipated once it came to light that certain strategies couldn't be employed or were employed incorrectly. Thus, Ulmo got in a bind and needed cash, so sold his/her Tesla.

Separately and unrelated, Ulmo got charged Supercharger Idle fees a couple times. Given the circumstances around the instances in question (got held up in line paying for something, a notification that charging was almost complete, etc.) and that Tesla doesn't immediately communicate the instance to the customer (handled the next time he or she is in for Service - at the moment), Ulmo was dissatisfied with Tesla's stance on the idle fees. However, Ulmo realized this cost was minor, even if he/she disagreed with it and played no role in selling his/her Tesla.

Reactions: 1 person
Basically, Ulmo got a bad tax consultant to work on his/her finances and ended up owing more than anticipated once it came to light that certain strategies couldn't be employed or were employed incorrectly. Thus, Ulmo got in a bind and needed cash, so sold his/her Tesla.

Separately and unrelated, Ulmo got charged Supercharger Idle fees a couple times. Given the circumstances around the instances in question (got held up in line paying for something, a notification that charging was almost complete, etc.) and that Tesla doesn't immediately communicate the instance to the customer (handled the next time he or she is in for Service - at the moment), Ulmo was dissatisfied with Tesla's stance on the idle fees. However, Ulmo realized this cost was minor, even if he/she disagreed with it and played no role in selling his/her Tesla.
gracias

TLDR: Idle fees are no big deal.

Great eclipse picture! What did you use to take it?
I wish I could claim some great photographic skill, but it was an old Canon EOS Rebel w/ a 300mm zoom lense on auto.

I showed up with grand ideas of adjusting aperture, exposure and ISO, realized I am not a photographer and switched to auto. Since I neglected to bring a dark filter for the camera, I took all of the partial eclipse photos through the dark tint at the top of the MX windshield from the comfort of the air-conditioned driver's seat. During totality, I stepped outside the car and photographed the eclipse directly.

Was really just dumb luck that everything came out as good as it did. I intentionally left all the astrophotography equipment at home, since I was interested in experiencing the eclipse more than I was fumbling with equipment and missing most of it.

• Love
Reactions: David99 and Cyclone
Glad I took the route to Idaho. No wait at inyokern/mammoth/lovelock/winnemuca/Boise.

Most were vacant with just me charging. Also I don't recall seeing any tesla heading or leaving weiser idaho before and after the solar eclipse.

I kind of knew all the west coaster tesla would be heading to Oregon. Also glad I didn't go to Idaho falls as I hear there was tons of traffic before and after at Rexburg Idaho.

Sometimes you just have to take the least traveled path for an easier time.