Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

15 degrees, snowing [discussion on energy situation in Texas]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AA9C42F6-F99A-4CE6-8EA9-CB0E2D989342.jpeg
Image attached

With all the talk about how EVs are going to affect the grid, people are forgetting that many with EVs also have solar. At least so far. I think I'm going to look into it this spring.
And yes that is a snowy day here in N Texas. About everything is shut down. We have too few days like this to have snow plows. We also have lots of overpasses that are steep and will be frozen over by now. What is unusual for us this year is it is not sunny and we also have a fair amount of wind.

I call that is why I have lived in California all my life. I am at 1500 feet. So if I want to visit the snow, I just drive 10 minutes up the hill and reminds me of why I live where I live. :)
yes, and I lived in California for 35 years and frankly, I love it here a LOT more than in California. Some people like the snow and some don't. We like it :D Never thought I would say that when I lived down there and would visit here. Auburn... a nice little city. We lived in the bay area.

Reactions: T-Mom and KrenGrl
With all the talk about how EVs are going to affect the grid, people are forgetting that many with EVs also have solar. At least so far. I think I'm going to look into it this spring.
And yes that is a snowy day here in N Texas. About everything is shut down. We have too few days like this to have snow plows. We also have lots of overpasses that are steep and will be frozen over by now. What is unusual for us this year is it is not sunny and we also have a fair amount of wind.
Relatives in Austin are complaining about ice and snow. I guess there is a big ice storm coming and weather in the 20s for the next week.

yes, and I lived in California for 35 years and frankly, I love it here a LOT more than in California. Some people like the snow and some don't. We like it :D Never thought I would say that when I lived down there and would visit here. Auburn... a nice little city. We lived in the bay area.
My backyard. Lived here for 31 years.

Attachments

• sp.jpg
    sp.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 68
Ok, so back on topic... crazyrabbit, that makes sense to get some good production based on the photo with a little snow. Over the last 15 years, I have noticed that even with some snow on the modules,, I get good production. And there is such a thing as "Cloud enhancement" which can even create as much as 10% to 15% more production (while it occurs) than you would get without cloud enhancement. As jboy says, solar is strange sometime.

snowing at 2:20 pm and making 2kw... and 13 degrees... burr

i think monday Electric Reliability Council of Texas will not have not enough power, and roving blackouts... will be around 2 to 4 degrees for the next few mornings...
Is that state-wide or just in the DFW area?

I have family in the Austin/Round Rock area. They do say it is snowing in down there.

snowing at 2:20 pm and making 2kw... and 13 degrees... burr

i think monday Electric Reliability Council of Texas will not have not enough power, and roving blackouts... will be around 2 to 4 degrees for the next few mornings...

Wow! The power situation in Texas is looking pretty sketchy. I just talked to a friend in Fort Worth who has an all-electric house... making preparations to guard against frozen pipes and hoping for the best.

The stats on ERCOT’s website are wild. Don’t charge your cars if you can avoid it.

Grid operator requests energy conservation for system reliability

News Release
February 14, 2021

Grid operator requests energy conservation for system reliability

AUSTIN, TX, Feb. 14, 2021 – The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) is asking consumers and businesses to reduce their electricity use as much as possible Sunday, Feb. 14 through Tuesday, Feb. 16.

"We are experiencing record-breaking electric demand due to the extreme cold temperatures that have gripped Texas," said ERCOT President and CEO Bill Magness. "At the same time, we are dealing with higher-than-normal generation outages due to frozen wind turbines and limited natural gas supplies available to generating units. We are asking Texans to take some simple, safe steps to lower their energy use during this time."

Here are some tips to reduce electricity use:

• Turn down thermostats to 68-degrees.
  • Close shades and blinds to reduce the amount of heat lost through windows.
  • Turn off and unplug non-essential lights and appliances.
  • Avoid using large appliances (i.e., ovens, washing machines, etc.).
  • Businesses should minimize the use of electric lighting and electricity-consuming equipment as much as possible.
  • Large consumers of electricity should consider shutting down or reducing non-essential production processes.
Given the prolonged, below-freezing temperatures, conservation measures should be implemented safely and within reason.

ERCOT has the tools and procedures in place to maintain a reliable electric system during tight grid conditions. If power reserves drop too low, ERCOT may need to declare an Energy Emergency Alert, or EEA. Declaring an EEA allows the grid operator to take advantage of additional resources that are only available during scarcity conditions. There are three levels of EEA, and rotating outages are only implemented as a last resort to maintain reliability of the electric system.

Click here for more information on ERCOT’s emergency procedures during tight grid conditions.

Click here for more information on the additional tools and resources available to ERCOT when it declares an EEA.

How to track electricity demand

• View daily peak demand forecast, current load and available generation on ERCOT.com.
  • Follow ERCOT on Twitter (@ERCOT_ISO).
  • Sign up for the ERCOT mobile app (available for download at the Apple App Store and Google Play).
Consumer assistance

Public Utility Commission of Texas Hotline – 1-888-782-8477

###

Last edited:
I'm guessing we will hit 72Gw this evening. will we be able to meet demand, there are not large industrial loads running right now so nothing to cut other then residences. tomorrow will be interesting when people go back to work... i think my work will be wishing they had the other three 3Mw generators, we got one now and i'm guessing they will be installing one each year for a total of four.
it is 10.7 degree at my house now...

upload_2021-2-14_16-48-23.png

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl