Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

15% discount on new Model S... sort of.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why can't I get this car out of my mind? :biggrin: OK, rhetorical question.

I really want this car. But, after struggling with it for awhile, a couple weeks ago I "decided" (yeah right) to not buy it. Wouldn't you know it... only then my wife starts dropping hints that I shouldn't be so hasty in that decision.

I've got a list of "why I should buy it" vs. "why I should not". The "should not" side is a bit longer. Probably first up on that list (besides cost) is the fact I really don't drive much and my cars are already economical, so gas savings are negligible. Next up is the fact the closest Supercharger is 200km (125 miles) and not on the way to anything I'd ever go to. Here in town, there is a single public 60A charging station at a local winery. So charging is a bit of an issue. Finally, I test drove one and - while I loved it - it wasn't the most comfortable car I've ever driven, and it probably should be for that kind of coin (the only real issue was my long legs. My right shin would rest against the hard plastic corner of the console and it became irritated after only 15 minutes of driving).

But I really want one! No seriously... I *REALLY* want one. I have never wanted a non-sentient thing more in my life. So there's that.

The other major factor influencing my "buy it" side... is the fact that, right now (and for a very limited time, I'm told), the Model S enjoys a 15% "discount", of sorts, in Canada (where I am). What do I mean by that? Well, if I price the car out on the Canadian site I get $104,900. On the US site with the same options it is $90,500. Math tells us that Tesla is pricing the Canadian market using a USD/CAD value of 1.16. But the value right now is really 1.31. More math tells us that's 15% off the top, just by virtue of Tesla pricing not having caught up with the currency rollercoaster (for those that don't know - and why would you - the CAD has plummeted relative to the USD in a very short time). My local Tesla rep (or whatever title they go buy... "owner advisor", I think?) tells me the price is going to be adjusted in Canada as early as tomorrow, and likely by week's end or perhaps next week. So jumping right now locks in a fairly good value, unless I'm missing something.

For me personally, I don't think it is an ideal time to buy. My business is in the middle of a new project that may or may not work out. If it does, that alone buys me my car. But if it doesn't, I'll be wishing I didn't buy one (not that it puts me in the poor house, just that it makes things tighter than I'd normally feel I could afford this purchase). I'd rather wait 6 months to see how this plays out... but I know me. If I wait and the price goes up... well, I hold a grudge. I know I won't buy it knowing I could have had it cheaper.

Wait and hope they don't adjust? (would a product advisor really be in the know on something like that?)
Just jump in balls first?
Pay the $2500 and choose a build-date 6 months down the road and just forfeit the deposit if things don't look good? That probably sounds like the obvious choice, but I really REALLY hate the idea of throwing money away for nothing. That's not the sort of thing I did to put myself in the position to have this oh-poor-me-first-world-problem.

... Wouldn't you know it... only then my wife starts dropping hints that I shouldn't be so hasty in that decision.
Here you have your answer. I do not know you or your wife. I do know myself and my wife. When my wife drops such a hint, which has happened, including with our Model S, she knows what the decision should be. My recommendation: order it this very minute. You'll sort the seating problem once you find out just how to set the seat and steering wheel. You don't really need the close-by supercharger so long as you can set up at least level 1 charging at home or very nearby. Don't overstate the charging need, even though more is better.

Anyway, my spouse regularly reminds me that we did not choose each other rationally and we've spent 35 years happily together. She tells me that knowing when to be non-rational is one key to happiness. OTOH, she calls our Model S "your mistress".

I wanted this car since day one. It took me three years to bite. I played with the numbers every which way I could to have it make sense. Guess what? It doesn't make sense. Sure I'll "save" on gas, maintenance, etc. But I'll never make a reasonable ROI, especially since I was driving an 8 year old Acura TL that got decent gas mileage and was fun to drive (6-speed.)

I found the S to be very comfortable myself; good ride and the next gen seats were very nice I felt (Now if you're a little wide, I can see it being a problem, but I love a seat that hugs me.)

My wife actually set a test drive up for me; once she did that, I knew I should do it. Once I drove it, it was all over.

Not only are you getting a 15% discount, but you can also get a $1000 off with a referral link. If that's USD, you might also be getting a few extra bucks off there.

If you're concerned about the price jumping as soon as tomorrow, I'd say bite TODAY. You have two weeks to cancel and get your deposit back. So that at least locks you in at the current price but gives you a little more time to think.

- - - Updated - - -

And let me add - I also don't drive much. About 9-10k a year. But I'm a car nut and an IT guy, so. . . Was tough to ignore the MS. But this further hinders my ROI, especially since I take mileage from the business (The more miles I drive, the faster I get my ROI.)

Also, as for charging - there really shouldn't be any reason you'll charge in your town (Unless your town is REALLY far away.) Same with SCs. There's no real benefit to have a close SC, unless you have a reason you absolutely can't charge at home (In which case, a MS might not be in your future.) Now having an SC 125 miles away is perfect - unless there's nothing in that direction for you to go to! :)

Honestly, that right knee bothering you after 15 minutes is the biggest red flag for me. Maybe you will find the right tweak or seat adjustment (or next-gen or standard seat instead of what was on the test drive) will help, but I wouldn't want a car at that price that I would be uncomfortable in after a 15 minute drive.

I agree with Cyclone, I would take another test drive and see if you can position yourself comfortable for more than 15 minutes.

I've bought products that I LOVE that have just one little thing wrong with them, which I thought "eh, whatever, I love the product, I'll LEARN to deal with it". Within months those products have turned from love to why did I buy it?

The test drive was an "event" where they brought 3 cars to my town and booked 15 minute drives. It was a fairly rushed affair and I suppose there's a good chance I didn't have it adjusted properly. I didn't notice it was a problem until the end of the 15 minutes (too excited to care about my leg rubbing). It has the net gen seats and I did find them slightly uncomfortable too, but figured that was just something to get used to, or maybe order it with the standard seats. I really don't like leather anyway and would only get it because I'd figure the "next owner" (yeah right) would expect it.

I learned from another thread that I was viewing charging all wrong. I was treating it (in my mind) as a sort of gas station. I wasn't even going to install a charger at home, thinking why would I do that when I can charge for free at the "gas station". Where I live, the province (for the time being anyway) provides EV charging on the tax payer's dime and according to the owner advisor that included the super chargers. But charging at home it is on my dime. So it seemed obvious to use theirs... but I trust owners' views more than my own and lots of people say that's just not practical. Fair enough.

Regarding the deposit: it may be 2 weeks in the US or whatever... here it is 7 days. Still, valid point.

bcsteeve, your view of the Tesla is very similar to mine. I am retired, don't commute, have a comfortable Mercedes, and have no earthly justification for a Model S. But like you, I "just want one" and like you, I have never (to my recollection) wanted a car (or any other material object) so much before. So I am ordering a 70D (placed order last week, confirms tomorrow). And like you, my spouse encouraged me to try it. She figures it is not fatal. If I don't like it later or it does not work out, I can sell it. Otherwise I will always be distracted by the idea of it and won't ever really know.

On the seats -- today I test drove a 70D with next gen seats. I did not like the seat. My butt is still sore, 3 hours later! I have a bad back, so I am fussy about seats. I rented a tesla in CA a few months ago, drove it all day, no real discomfort. That car was a 2012 P85 with the original seats. So, it is a highly individual thing. Don't go for the Next Gen unless you prefer them.

And whatever you do, I hope you are happy with the decision.

Charging at home on your dime is certainly something to keep in mind. My electric rate, all in, is $.14/kWh. For what I drive, I've calculated my electric usage to be about an extra $35-40/mo if I charge completely at home. We have no time of use or anything, so. . . Would be nice if night time charging was cheaper. For me, I was spending close to the same amount weekly at the gas station!

We only pay $0.07/kWh here... so long as you're in Tier 1. Tier 2 jumps to $0.11/kWh. I haven't done the exact calculations yet, but I'm pretty sure charging the Tesla means we'll be in Tier 2. The problem with that is then ALL our electricity costs more, so it is difficult to calculate the real cost. Ever light being on, every load of laundry... it is all higher thanks to the EV charging.

There is talk about eventually going to peak rates, etc, but for now there's no distinction other than Tier 1/2 based on monthly usage.

Anyway, I have to remind myself that the single biggest reason I have for getting a Tesla (besides the jaw-dropping good looks and the phenomenal technology) is reducing reliance on fossil fuels. Our electricity is generated by hydro and is considered (depending on who you ask) to be "clean". It is about voting with my dollars, but not so much about the dollars themselves.

I just would think Tesla would have a problem with it, especially if they know they could just keep my deposit and get the higher amount from the other buyer. Or if we left Tesla out of it and I buy and "sell" it then the new owner would be without the full warranty.

It isn't a bad idea... I just kind of doubt it would work that easily. But what's the worst case scenario? I lose my $2500 if I change my mind. I suppose its a gamble worth taking. Assuming it isn't already too late. I had a busy day and haven't gotten around to it.

Hey, do you happen to know how the deposit thing works? Do I actually have to choose my options now? Or that's what the 7 days is for?

Why can't I get this car out of my mind? :biggrin: OK, rhetorical question.
Have you considered the location of the nearest service center? Have you talk to Tesla about Ranger service? Have you consider that Tesla depreciation is very high if you plan on trading-in or sell in the near future? Do you know that MS does not provide tire pressure reading? Carefully evaluate your need for AutoPilot and the available features when you decide to go ahead and select the options. I am NOT talking you out of it, but take it as a friendly advice from my personal buying and owning experience. :wink:

Well then elaborate, please? Because those are all questions, not advice. As I just put down the deposit, I would like to know what you're saying. Service is a long way from me. I am in Kelowna. My understanding was that it did not really matter because either problems get fixed over the air or else they send someone out. Nobody mentioned a distance issue. Auto pilot is one of my bigger reasons for buying... so please, do tell!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and no I didn't know about no TPS. You say "readings". You mean it has no TPS? Or it does but there's no display for it? If the former, then I am surprised, but pleasantly so. My smart does, and it makes it a pain for winter tires. My wife's Honda Fit does not, even though it is standard on those sold in the USA. I assumed the Tesla would, but much prefer it not too.

- - - Updated - - -

Finally, looking at the CPO prices, I think we have a very different take on depreciation. It appears better than average, if anything. I would expect it to lose 20% on day 1 like any other car.

Well then elaborate, please? Because those are all questions, not advice. As I just put down the deposit, I would like to know what you're saying. Service is a long way from me. I am in Kelowna. My understanding was that it did not really matter because either problems get fixed over the air or else they send someone out. Nobody mentioned a distance issue. Auto pilot is one of my bigger reasons for buying... so please, do tell!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and no I didn't know about no TPS. You say "readings". You mean it has no TPS? Or it does but there's no display for it? If the former, then I am surprised, but pleasantly so. My smart does, and it makes it a pain for winter tires. My wife's Honda Fit does not, even though it is standard on those sold in the USA. I assumed the Tesla would, but much prefer it not too.

All cars are required to have TPMS. It's the law of 2007 in the USA (not sure about Canada). Tesla obviously have TPMS. BUT you can't see the exact tire pressure read out. It will notify you if you have low pressure.

I asked the question to see if you have given thoughts about them before making the decision. I did not advice before because I will only advice if it is solicited. I can tell you these:
1. Not all problem are fixable by OTA. If they send someone out, that is what Tesla call Ranger service. If they cannot fixed it on the spot, they will leave you a service loaner car and take your car to the service center in Vancouver. But if you want something done that is outside of warranty, the cost and inconvenience to you could be higher if they need to be done at the service center. Distance is not always an issue for people who are dedicated to Tesla. They can live with the inconvenience.

2. AutoPilot lane keeping and self parking are not yet operational. There is a 100+ page thread on this matter. I can see you wanting auto lane keeping while on Coquihalla highway. Can you wait for a few months for these features? Pass experience of many owners has been that Tesla does not deliver on the date promised. But if you are lucky, your car will arrive when AP is fully functional. Good luck to all of US.

3. I found the lack of tire pressure reading very annoying. I do not have any early indication of tire losing air unless I check then manually by a tire gauge. For winter tires, I also install TPMS on my second set of tire and wheel in my Porsche before. I found it to be much safer for long distance driving.

Again, I don't mean to discourage you. Just want you to be aware.

CPO means the price they are selling to the owner. Is that the price they will pay you when you trade in? You may want to ask Tesla on what is their guarantee trade in value for Canadian cars.

Last edited: