Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

15" GUI performance....Long term?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla Model S came out in Q2/Q3 2012. Obviously the Tegra CPU was spec'd well before this in late 2011/early 2012 perhaps. It is now roughly 5 years later and by all measures, the MS GUI is quite slow. Maybe still acceptable, but noticeably slower than what most consider "norm". How usable will the current gen MS be in another 5 years? Clearly, something similar to this will happen to the Model 3 at some point in the future. My original intention was to keep my Model 3 for 10 years, like I have done for my last few cars. I think the batteries and drive train are certainly up to the task, but I'm starting to get concerned about the usability of the GUI as Tesla continues to improve and enhance the software. In a few short years, Tesla will certainly upgrade the CPU and continue to enhance their software, multiplying the original M3 CPUs sluggishness. We've all been here with PCs, tablets and phones, right? So, I'm asking opinions for the long term viability of the Model 3 and it's 2017 tech, in 10 years....thoughts?

They've learned from the past and designed the M3 to be better suited for upgrades over time. This is the reason why the M3's touchscreen is a full tablet and not embedded into the dash, making it easier to replace when needed. The MS/MX have a touchscreen with a CPU/GPU on the back-end so its much harder to update. That said, the M3's screen should last just as long if not longer than MS/MX screen, and if they are running an Android OS or can upgrade to an Android OS then they can take advantage of efficiencies gained with updates so no need to worry.

A Model S major design update is coming and should include a similar screen....but with MS orientation of course.

I think it’ll hold up pretty well, it’s already a very bright, high res display and renders maps with fluidity (feels like 60fps). You could double the pixel density or crank it up to 240hz and I honestly wouldn’t care, for what it does I don’t think further performance would be that appreciable.

I think it’ll hold up pretty well, it’s already a very bright, high res display and renders maps with fluidity (feels like 60fps). You could double the pixel density or crank it up to 240hz and I honestly wouldn’t care, for what it does I don’t think further performance would be that appreciable.
The issue is that the MS was quicker when it was new too....

The GUI on the S has never really changed in performance. It got a little worse with 8.0 (particularly the hiding top-bar) but the majority of it hasn't changed substantially (ignoring the super early builds).

Course this isn't because of any real effort by Tesla to keep it performing well, they just haven't changed it much at all. They haven't added any substantial new functionality that would slow down performance. The whole OTA update thing is waaaaay overblown. Mostly Tesla just uses it to sell features they haven't finished yet.

The S interface definitely on my 5 year old car doesn't seem to be any slower as far as I can tell. The 3 is definitely snappier and the Model S browser has always been abysmal, but nothing's really changed.

(I disagree about the OTA thing, maybe they haven't changed major things, but they've definitely added quite a few features I really like over the last 5 years.)