Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

150 KW in the wild

Friday night, I had a 300 mile trip after work that I started with 280 or so in our 2 month old LR.

I hit the Greensboro SC and was a bit surprised to hit 146 kw. I arrived with 20-30 miles left and used Nav. It was also nice and warm - 80 degrees probably.

Hit 146 kw pretty quickly. The mi/hr pegged at 500 even though it was clearly more. It was probably closer to 600 miles/hr initially which makes for easy math - need 100 miles, stay 10 min. I was there for 9 min and got about 85 miles. The charge speed was down to 125 kw by then.

I was just surprised that we have this all the way out in NC already. It is a fairly new SC - probably 18 months old. My last car (still own) was a 70D so 105 kw is about the best I have ever seen. It was really close to double the charging speed in miles per hour.

If you want to drive modestly, you can really do 3 hours driving, 20 min charging. That to me is a nice sweet spot. In my case, it was a 5.5 hour trip with a 10 min charge stop (which I met someone to finalize the sale of our Leaf).

I also was able to hit 20% over rated range keeping the speed to 60-65. We really should have a sticky here giving the average range at various speeds and temps. 400 miles in an LR is easy in the summer. But not when you drive 80. Darn physics.

Zoomit

Sep 1, 2015
SoCal
I hit the Greensboro SC and was a bit surprised to hit 146 kw. I arrived with 20-30 miles left and used Nav. It was also nice and warm - 80 degrees probably.
This sounds like very reasonable conditions to hit mid-140’s. Most all the V2 Superchargers are capable of this now, though in the Nav screen you can see the ones that are still limited to 120 kW.
The 150kW must have been a software update.
Yes, is was 19.12.1 that added it. Here’s a thread chronicling examples of ~150kW charge sessions.
150kW Supercharging for Model 3

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC