Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$1500 Door Ding / Blend Pearl White Paint On Other Door?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s not just the deductible. You shouldn’t put small claims in any way. Which is when a low deductible is a bigger win. And if you do put small claims in the difference will go up.

I won’t bother with a claim up to several thousand.

Why are slumming it in the model 3 forum? Surely someone with several thousand to throw around should be with their own kind in a Bentley forum, or better yet the county club. (OR are you actually an insurance agent???? Haha)

Again, if the low deductible only costs a few bucks more and saves thousands by actually using insurance when needed, why wouldn’t you use a product you pay for?

I received a quote from a Tesla approved body shop in the Denver area for a door ding, which also includes blending the pearl white paint into the perfectly good rear door. Has anyone experienced this? Car is 3 months old :(

View attachment 420715 View attachment 420716

I would just have this PDRed. It’s hard to tell from your picture how bad the paint damage actually is. A lot of it is paint transfer. Some is scratches that will polish out. A little may remain but it may be hard to see. Not worth a repaint. If there is a tiny divot in the paint a little touch up would probably hide it.

PDR in CA would be about $300-400 and overall I think will give a better result - you won’t have to worry about the paint - if you repaint it will never be the same.

Mine wasn’t quite as bad but the depth does not matter too much I think.

My Experience with PDR

I think the PDR will likely get you at least 95% of the way to perfect in this case. No sanding of your factory paint, no imperfect bonding to underlying paint, no door disassembly, only takes a couple hours...etc.

Last edited:
hard to PDR right on the body line

It's really no problem at all for someone who is good & experienced with working with aluminum. The only question is what condition the paint will be in (it can crack if the crease is very sharp - your dent doesn't look too bad at all). I would definitely try PDR first if I were you. (Look up an expert on Yelp who has excellent reviews.)

As I said, if you have a repaint, it will never be the same. Also with body shop repair & repaint, you can't get it done same day!

In your case, unless there are mechanicals in the way inside the door, they won't have to disassemble or anything. Just slide a steel plate in, an airbag, insert the tool through the gap between the window and door, and crank away. (You can see the pictures in the other post.) Obviously there could be complications, but I would at least take it to a PDR expert for their assessment. The doors are aluminum.

You bought a $50k Jeep. Blame it on the carfax, not the bad purchase. What next? Blame it on the alcohol?

I love when people try to bash some ones taste in order to make their weak point of view hold.

I assure you a CarFax report can be very costly, don't blame my choice of vehicle for your poor advice.

I sure would love my Jeep interior in my Tesla. So much quieter, nicer and more luxurious. The list is way to long to go into.

1065_p12_l.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: WilliamG
I love when people try to bash some ones taste in order to make their weak point of view hold.

I assure you a CarFax report can be very costly, don't blame my choice of vehicle for your poor advice.

I sure would love my Jeep interior in my Tesla. So much quieter, nicer and more luxurious. The list is way to long to go into.

1065_p12_l.jpg

MSWLOGO, this is from June 20th. Let it go.....let it go like the 10’s of thousands of dollars on the Jeep lol!

And believe me, I’m very familiar with that interior. You ain’t fooling anyone!

1065_p12_l.jpg

I have a stress response looking at that interior. No thanks.

Reactions: SunCharged
MSWLOGO, this is from June 20th. Let it go.....let it go like the 10’s of thousands of dollars on the Jeep lol!

And believe me, I’m very familiar with that interior. You ain’t fooling anyone!

Likewise. your post adds how much value? I missed the post and wanted to follow up on misinformation.

If we are talking about being practical with $$$ here (which you decided to bring up yet again with your dig on my losses owning a Jeep).

Don’t get me wrong here, seriously, I love my model 3. Period.

But it is the dumbest purchase I’ve ever made, bar none, from a financial perspective was buying a Tesla. But I’ve done plenty of dumb things. And buying a $50k Jeep is not on that list.

So comments on my wasted/lost $$$ on Jeeps is ridiculous. We aren’t exactly on the Toyota Forum here, are we.

Again someone trying to discredit my post with yet another dig and a complaint about replying to a 2 week old thread.

Have you nothing better to do?

Fooling anyone, what the heck are you talking about? I love the interior of my Jeep. It’s holding up great too.

Likewise. your post adds how much value? I missed the post and wanted to follow up on misinformation.

If we are talking about being practical with $$$ here (which you decided to bring up yet again with your dig on my losses owning a Jeep).

Don’t get me wrong here, seriously, I love my model 3. Period.

But it is the dumbest purchase I’ve ever made, bar none, from a financial perspective was buying a Tesla. But I’ve done plenty of dumb things. And buying a $50k Jeep is not on that list.

So comments on my wasted/lost $$$ on Jeeps is ridiculous. We aren’t exactly on the Toyota Forum here, are we.

Again someone trying to discredit my post with yet another dig and a complaint about replying to a 2 week old thread.

Have you nothing better to do?

Fooling anyone, what the heck are you talking about? I love the interior of my Jeep. It’s holding up great too.

“I’m talking about being practical with $$$ here”
“But it’s the dumbest purchase I’ve ever made”

We’ll just let those two quotes sit there and do the talking lol!

I
I have a stress response looking at that interior. No thanks.

I stress over white Model 3 interiors or Silver exterior. So what. That has nothing to do with quality. They both offer options. Quite a few more on a Jeep. There is no question a Jeep has both higher interior and exterior quality than a Model 3, sad isn’t it.

Folks thinking a Jeep is a poor investment should look at what forum they are posting on.

I can deal with the issues on both vehicles and their trade offs.

Again folks have nothing better to do than tear down each other. Rarely ever happens on the Jeep forum. It does, but not nearly as much as it does here.

I said CarFax will hurt your wallet. I used a Jeep as example. I guarantee it will be way worse with Tesla’s. The higher the price point the bigger the impact.

Just click disagree and move on.

I’m sorry I tried to give a concrete example. I’ve been through it. Insurance companies are not your friend. And they will report to CarFax.

BTW I posted about my buying a Tesla on the Jeep forum. The Jeep owners treated the Tesla owner a whole lot better than the Tesla owners treat a Jeep owner.

Maybe I did buy the wrong car.

I

I stress over white Model 3 interiors or Silver exterior. So what. That has nothing to do with quality. They both offer options. Quite a few more on a Jeep. There is no question a Jeep has both higher interior and exterior quality than a Model 3, sad isn’t it.

Folks thinking a Jeep is a poor investment should look at what forum they are posting on.

I can deal with the issues on both vehicles and their trade offs.

Again folks have nothing better to do than tear down each other. Rarely ever happens on the Jeep forum. It does, but not nearly as much as it does here.

I said CarFax will hurt your wallet. I used a Jeep as example. I guarantee it will be way worse with Tesla’s. The higher the price point the bigger the impact.

Just click disagree and move on.

I’m sorry I tried to give a concrete example. I’ve been through it. Insurance companies are not your friend. And they will report to CarFax.

BTW I posted about my buying a Tesla on the Jeep forum. The Jeep owners treated the Tesla owner a whole lot better than the Tesla owners treat a Jeep owner.

Maybe I did buy the wrong car.

I think many of us don’t see the relevance here. And I’m not stressing over the quality of the Jeep interior. I just love the minimalism of the Model 3 interior. I don’t necessarily think the build quality of the 3 interior is that great (it’s not).

I mean look at the thread title. And you have a picture of your Jeep interior...

I think many of us don’t see the relevance here. And I’m not stressing over the quality of the Jeep interior. I just love the minimalism of the Model 3 interior. I don’t necessarily think the build quality of the 3 interior is that great (it’s not).

I mean look at the thread title. And you have a picture of your Jeep interior...

Hey, I commented on not putting in small repairs to avoid a CarFax ding (others chimed in as well on insurance hikes). I used my Jeep as an example. And because someone had nothing legit to back up why my suggestion shouldn't be taken seriously, they start bashing my choice of Jeep as being the reason. I posted the pic just for quality purposes, $50k is bargain for what it offers. Don't blame me for getting off track here. Your comment on your distaste wasn't exactly on topic either. I love the minimalism the Model 3 too. I still enjoy my Jeep too, it's way less busy with buttons than similarly loaded SUV's.

Hey, I commented on not putting in small repairs to avoid a CarFax ding (others chimed in as well on insurance hikes). I used my Jeep as an example. And because someone had nothing legit to back up why my suggestion shouldn't be taken seriously, they start bashing my choice of Jeep as being the reason. I posted the pic just for quality purposes, $50k is bargain for what it offers. Don't blame me for getting off track here. Your comment on your distaste wasn't exactly on topic either. I love the minimalism the Model 3 too. I still enjoy my Jeep too, it's way less busy with buttons than similarly loaded SUV's.

If you want to use an experience with another car as reason to not use insurance to avoid a CarFax ding, sure - that’s helpful! But a picture of your Jeep interior as a way to state that in your opinion it’s good value etc etc? I don’t get how that’s on topic at all...

I have a very similar little door ding which I got last week. I have a police report and video evidence of the person. My car is black. Would it be as complicated to fix as you guys are saying for the white? Should I go body shop or paintless dent removal?

I have a very similar little door ding which I got last week. I have a police report and video evidence of the person. My car is black. Would it be as complicated to fix as you guys are saying for the white? Should I go body shop or paintless dent removal?

Depends on the location of the ding, but I would generally try PDR first. If it’s something they can access without drilling, and the paint is not damaged, it is nothing short of amazing. And quick. Sounds like you might be able to get the cost covered, depending on whether the person has been found.