Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$1500 Door Ding / Blend Pearl White Paint On Other Door?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My reply was not to the OP.

I also said nothing about raising insurance rates. It's getting dinged with a possible Carfax report that can cost you big bucks.

And last I looked low deductibles are not free. Two expensive cars, over the years. I've already saved $1000's.
I'd still be ahead if I had to pay out for a $2000 repair.

Insurance companies make money based on statistics.

Statistically, you are better off insuring yourself. And reserve insurance for major claims and liability, not for door dings.

Oh, and if you change insurance companies, you may also get another hit if you've put in a claim in the last 3 years (doesn't matter how much or who's fault it was).

And if they did raise rates, why would it only apply to 6 months? It could be higher rates for years.

Just my .01 (because in the long term my suggestion is cheaper than yours).

You ASSume everyone will be selling their car and worrying about a carfax report. There is no solid proof it will even show up on a carfax report. Low deductibles on multiple sports cars cost me barely 160 dollars. Insurance companies make money from people like you who pay x amount of money every month and then never file a claim....

My reply was not to the OP.

I also said nothing about raising insurance rates. It's getting dinged with a possible Carfax report that can cost you big bucks.

And last I looked low deductibles are not free. Two expensive cars, over the years. I've already saved $1000's.
I'd still be ahead if I had to pay out for a $2000 repair.

Insurance companies make money based on statistics.

Statistically, you are better off insuring yourself. And reserve insurance for major claims and liability, not for door dings.

Oh, and if you change insurance companies, you may also get another hit if you've put in a claim in the last 3 years (doesn't matter how much or who's fault it was).

And if they did raise rates, why would it only apply to 6 months? It could be higher rates for years.

Just my .01 (because in the long term my suggestion is cheaper than yours).

If they raise your rates you shop around. We’ve had comprehensive claims and have yet to see a rate increase. If I had a $1,500 claim and paid it out of pocket vs only my $100 comprehensive deductible I’d be out $1,400. How many people buying a mainstream car are going to care that a door ding (that I could prove was a door ding) was fixed. We’re not talking about collectible Ferrari’s here.

You ASSume everyone will be selling their car and worrying about a carfax report. There is no solid proof it will even show up on a carfax report. Low deductibles on multiple sports cars cost me barely 160 dollars. Insurance companies make money from people like you who pay x amount of money every month and then never file a claim....

Agree, I pay a lot for insurance so might as well use it. The low deductibles are so cheap that is doesn't pay to carry a high deductible. Through Geico it is only a few dollars difference between a $500 and $150 deductible. I'd be pretty pissed if I had to spend 1600 out of pocket to fix a door ding. I am told comp claims won't necessarily raise your rates either so we'll see, and certainly I am still a profitable customer for them as I have paid way more in premiums than they have paid out in claims.

PPF would not have protected against that hit. Sure some softer hits but not that one. Probably need new PPF as well.
I disagree, I got a very similar dent on my door, but PPF saved the paint from scratching/cracking from the impact of whatever hit my door. Though paintless dent removal was needed to massage out the dent, but it was ultimately fixed, and I got to keep my PPF (they didn't have to remove it to fix the dent). So ultimately I spent only C$240 (~$180 USD). It's a lot better this way too because then you wont have to worry about repainting the doors, and worry about blending/colour mismatch.

Edit:

See post here:
Painless Dent Repair GTA

• Disagree
Reactions: MrG_NY
A good PDR guy could work out most of the dent. Some places can air brush very small areas. Wont be perfect but could become mostly unnoticeable and save you from a car fax report.
I was going to suggest this too. Had it done on my S4 and wasn't perfect but only cost $150 and then touched it up with touch up paint. As far as blending, yes that's how body shops do it. Mine is in the shop now after getting side-swiped and they will blend the paint.

If they raise your rates you shop around. We’ve had comprehensive claims and have yet to see a rate increase. If I had a $1,500 claim and paid it out of pocket vs only my $100 comprehensive deductible I’d be out $1,400. How many people buying a mainstream car are going to care that a door ding (that I could prove was a door ding) was fixed. We’re not talking about collectible Ferrari’s here.

First I didn't claim insurance would go up on a single $1600 claim.
Some folks seem to think insurance companies are on your side. They are not.

And dealers on trade in are not on your side either.

Does the dealer (on a trade in) care if you had a minor door ding, and you can show how minor and great it was repaired. Absolutely not.
All they see is a Carfax report which won't have much detail. I think it will appear as Minor or Major accident.

Even if you convince the dealer, they need to convince their buyer. Do you think they will save your receipts? Do think a buyer reviewing their web site for used cars will see you receipts or proof? No, they will see it does not have a clean Carfax report, they will see a red X on yours and green Checkmark on the car with a clean record. Dealer knows customers will see it and will lower your trade value. No if's and's or but's.

If you don't believe me take it from the folks that provide such tracking.

How Accidents Affect Car Prices | CARFAX

You are paying for the low deductible, it's not free. If you make to many small claims they will either dump you or raise your rates. And just because your rates didn't go up, don't assume your claims didn't prevent your rates from going down. Also don't assume if you change insurance companies (shop around) you won't see a HUGE financial hit for those small claims.

Insurance companies will make any excuse they can you get more money out of you. They want customers with NO claims. So will dealers.

Because of both these issues, it's silly to have a low deductible. Because I'll pay for it out of pocket well above any detectable to keep the cars record clean. I don't know how long I might keep any car. I've traded as soon as 1 year and kept some as long as 12 years. If it's one year, a ANY Carfax report could be very costly. If 12 years, nobody will care about the history.

I have to laugh about proving your Carfax report was a door ding. You may never have that opportunity to present that prove. Your car was filtered out in the search engine because the potential buyers clicked "Clean Carfax". Even private party might ask for a VIN to check history before even considering your vehicle. I certainly would on a $20k and up value transaction.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: DNorris89
I disagree, I got a very similar dent on my door, but PPF saved the paint from scratching/cracking from the impact of whatever hit my door. Though paintless dent removal was needed to massage out the dent, but it was ultimately fixed, and I got to keep my PPF (they didn't have to remove it to fix the dent). So ultimately I spent only C$240 (~$180 USD). It's a lot better this way too because then you wont have to worry about repainting the doors, and worry about blending/colour mismatch.

Edit:

See post here:
Painless Dent Repair GTA

I agree Paintless removal is pretty amazing what they can do. But I would argue this particular case wouldn't have survived. But I could not rule out it's possible. And I agree there are many dings that PPF could save the paint.

But don't forget the cost of initial PPF and the redo PPF. $250 x 2 for a door? Another $500.

Reactions: outdoors
I agree Paintless removal is pretty amazing what they can do. But I would argue this particular case wouldn't have survived. But I could not rule out it's possible. And I agree there are many dings that PPF could save the paint.

But don't forget the cost of initial PPF and the redo PPF. $250 x 2 for a door? Another $500.
Check out my post that I linked, the PPF can be saved if it does not penetrate through the film. And even just having it once may be worth the investment of not having to repaint the panels.. My ding was pretty bad, and really scuffed up the PPF, but now it looks like nothing ever happened there, and even the film survived.

If it costs $500 to do two doors, + $180 for PDR, you're basically just paying $500 (one time) + $180 PDR.. chances are your film would survive, if not, it'll likely still save the paint.. in which case it'd have done it's job. And if the film doesn't survive it'd still be cheaper to replace the film than to pay the entire cost of doing a traditional repair.

I'd rather spend it on film, and not worry about day to day wear and tear on the paint, and have peace of mind knowing that it'd protect my paint in scenarios like these, rather than waiting for a situation like this to happen and having to fork over $1.6k+ to repaint the panels...

First I didn't claim insurance would go up on a single $1600 claim.
Some folks seem to think insurance companies are on your side. They are not.

And dealers on trade in are not on your side either.

Does the dealer (on a trade in) care if you had a minor door ding, and you can show how minor and great it was repaired. Absolutely not.
All they see is a Carfax report which won't have much detail. I think it will appear as Minor or Major accident.

Even if you convince the dealer, they need to convince their buyer. Do you think they will save your receipts? Do think a buyer reviewing their web site for used cars will see you receipts or proof? No, they will see it does not have a clean Carfax report, they will see a red X on yours and green Checkmark on the car with a clean record. Dealer knows customers will see it and will lower your trade value. No if's and's or but's.

If you don't believe me take it from the folks that provide such tracking.

How Accidents Affect Car Prices | CARFAX

You are paying for the low deductible, it's not free. If you make to many small claims they will either dump you or raise your rates. And just because your rates didn't go up, don't assume your claims didn't prevent your rates from going down. Also don't assume if you change insurance companies (shop around) you won't see a HUGE financial hit for those small claims.

Insurance companies will make any excuse they can you get more money out of you. They want customers with NO claims. So will dealers.

Because of both these issues, it's silly to have a low deductible. Because I'll pay for it out of pocket well above any detectable to keep the cars record clean. I don't know how long I might keep any car. I've traded as soon as 1 year and kept some as long as 12 years. If it's one year, a ANY Carfax report could be very costly. If 12 years, nobody will care about the history.

I have to laugh about proving your Carfax report was a door ding. You may never have that opportunity to present that prove. Your car was filtered out in the search engine because the potential buyers clicked "Clean Carfax". Even private party might ask for a VIN to check history before even considering your vehicle. I certainly would on a $20k and up value transaction.

Dude, it’s a Tesla Model 3. Not a rare air cooled 911. And FYI I carry full coverage on my Model 3 with that $100 comp deductible for $400 every six months. Not a bad deal.

• Love
Reactions: DNorris89
Dude, it’s a Tesla Model 3. Not a rare air cooled 911. And FYI I carry full coverage on my Model 3 with that $100 comp deductible for $400 every six months. Not a bad deal.

Dude I lost $4500 on a $50k Jeep trading it in because it had a $1200 no fault claim on record (paid out by the OTHER party insurance). Traded in the next year. Ding you got a CarFax report. This wasn’t even body work, no paint. It was for a mirror. I would have got $38k but I got $33k. Multiple dealers.

But sir, I have a receipt with your service department to fix the mirror. Sorry dude, that’s our policy.

It doesn’t need to be a Porche or a VW it doesn’t matter.

If you want ignore me that’s fine. Lots of folks on the forum think the same way. Those with more experience. Max deductible, don’t do small claims. You’ll screw yourself eventually.

Reactions: outdoors
Dude I lost $4500 on a $50k Jeep trading it in because it had a $1200 no fault claim on record (paid out by the OTHER party insurance). Traded in the next year. Ding you got a CarFax report. This wasn’t even body work, no paint. It was for a mirror. I would have got $38k but I got $33k. Multiple dealers.

But sir, I have a receipt with your service department to fix the mirror. Sorry dude, that’s our policy.

If you want ignore me that’s fine. Lots of folks on the forum think the same way. Those with more experience. Max deductible, don’t do small claims. You’ll screw yourself eventually.

You bought a $50k Jeep. Blame it on the carfax, not the bad purchase. What next? Blame it on the alcohol?

You realize if someone totals your car and either runs or doesn't have insurance you will need to use your insurance coverage. They will subtract your ridiculously high deductible from your total loss settlement... Which is the same as a dealer removing 2k from a trade in due to a carfax when you decide to get rid of the car... Having a high deductible and paying small repairs yourself is literally throwing money away.

Reactions: SunCharged
You realize if someone totals your car and either runs or doesn't have insurance you will need to use your insurance coverage. They will subtract your ridiculously high deductible from your total loss settlement... Which is the same as a dealer removing 2k from a trade in due to a carfax when you decide to get rid of the car... Having a high deductible and paying small repairs yourself is literally throwing money away.

It’s $500 more for $65k car. I think you or I could handle it.

How often do you total a car?

Statistically I hope never for both our sake.

Statistically your better off insuring yourself, for small stuff.

Putting a low deductible and making small claims is no different than buying an extended warranty on a $2000 appliance. Most people will pass and take their risk.

Paying the difference between $1000 deductible and $100 deducible so that you can make a small claim worth while is the same thing.

I’ll pass. Statistically I’m better off. If I’m not better off then the insurance company can’t be profitable. I could lose, but statistically I should be ahead.

You don’t need to insure for small damage. Just like you don’t need to “insure” an appliance. It’s similar financial risk.

If you can afford a Tesla, a $500 deductible higher or a $1000 more won’t break the bank. For someone that $1000 is a lot of money they can’t risk it. But in the long run they will be poorer. Smart, well off people can afford the risk, and it’s likely to pay off. If it didn’t insurance companies couldn’t be profitable.

When a car has less value than say $5000 I’ll drop all collusion all together. I’ll take my chances. I car afford to make that bet and lose. But I’ll more likely win. I can even afford to lose a few bets in the long run and still be ahead.

If you’re paranoid, a bad driver, or $1000 would bankrupt you. By all means get the lowest deductible. You’ll be in the same camp as folks that use pay day loans. They will pay more because they can’t afford to wait for a check to clear. You mentally can’t think of affording a high deductible. Even though in the long run you should be ahead. That’s up to you.

I don't know how you guys are filing claims without getting your insurance increased. Even for not-at-fault accidents some companies will raise your rates. Switching companies doesn't work because they ask you on the application if you've filed any claims recently.

Reactions: mswlogo
Just get it fixed and disregard all the nonsense here.

Your insurance company does not report claims to Carfax, file your comprehensive claim, pay deductible and be done. Generally unless you have tons of comp losses your rates won’t be impacted.

Blending adjacent panels is a common practice, especially on three stage paint. The repair cost is in line.

It’s $500 more for $65k car. I think you or I could handle it.

How often do you total a car?

Statistically I hope never for both our sake.

Statistically your better off insuring yourself, for small stuff.

Putting a low deductible and making small claims is no different than buying an extended warranty on a $2000 appliance. Most people will pass and take their risk.

Paying the difference between $1000 deductible and $100 deducible so that you can make a small claim worth while is the same thing.

I’ll pass. Statistically I’m better off. If I’m not better off then the insurance company can’t be profitable. I could lose, but statistically I should be ahead.

You don’t need to insure for small damage. Just like you don’t need to “insure” an appliance. It’s similar financial risk.

If you can afford a Tesla, a $500 deductible higher or a $1000 more won’t break the bank. For someone that $1000 is a lot of money they can’t risk it. But in the long run they will be poorer. Smart, well off people can afford the risk, and it’s likely to pay off. If it didn’t insurance companies couldn’t be profitable.

When a car has less value than say $5000 I’ll drop all collusion all together. I’ll take my chances. I car afford to make that bet and lose. But I’ll more likely win. I can even afford to lose a few bets in the long run and still be ahead.

If you’re paranoid, a bad driver, or $1000 would bankrupt you. By all means get the lowest deductible. You’ll be in the same camp as folks that use pay day loans. They will pay more because they can’t afford to wait for a check to clear. You mentally can’t think of affording a high deductible. Even though in the long run you should be ahead. That’s up to you.

Your scenario is based on the assumption that a low deductible always costs significantly more than a high deductible. That is not always the case. We might be talking about a difference of only a few bucks.

Your scenario is based on the assumption that a low deductible always costs significantly more than a high deductible. That is not always the case. We might be talking about a difference of only a few bucks.

It’s not just the deductible. You shouldn’t put small claims in any way. Which is when a low deductible is a bigger win. And if you do put small claims in the difference will go up.

I won’t bother with a claim up to several thousand.