Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1500 Mile family adventure - Frozen, stranded, but loads of fun :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
> We left Williams, AZ at 2:30 . . [KOL2000]

Right there (!!) when you are all set to leave town is the time to recheck weather reports. Even if it was 73*F the day before, to recall one of my own fiascos. Especially easy in the MS with teslaweather.com animated radar (you need to know the zipcode for that area). Weather.gov will also provide the 7 day forecast (and the zipcode). Crucial info. Do not rely on your present view of the horizon! Thirty miles later you will face a snowstorm with jackknifed semis all over the place. "But it was nothing but blue skies when we left Laramie" - keep telling yourself that.

Best to ask a trucker who is still in town, to get a 2nd opinion. The truckers who get caught in the storm are not the best counsel.
--

This sounds like a great opportunity for improved road trip software to do this for you (well, maybe not the ask a trucker part...) Tesla should be able to use your intended route to pull weather forecast data and present you with any anticipated issues down the road, even if there's nothing on your local forecast where you are. There's a whole list of things I see Tesla doing with software in the future to improve roadtripping, this is actually a minor one compared to some (Supercharger scheduling, time to charge, possibly auto-valet supercharging.)
Walter

Wow - what an awesome trip report! Interesting that you have 21s and were able to use chains. The Tesla owners manual (dated 31 Dec 14) says "Tesla has tested and approved Security Chain Company (SCC) Model Z-563 chains for use on the rear wheels. These chains must only be used if your Model S has 245/45R19 rear tires installed. Do not use chains on 21 inch tires." So obviously you were able to use chains - what kind of chains and did you have to modify the ride height settings when you had the chains on?

Great question. As covered here: Into the storm...

I used the Thule K45 (Amazon.com: Thule K-Summit Low-Profile Passenger Car Snow Chain, Size K45 (Sold in pairs): Automotive)

They fit OVER the rim and I always use the VERY HIGH setting to put them on and the HIGH setting when in motion. I don't recommend this for people that are not adventurous and if you do plan on using these chains email me and I can send you detailed instructions on how to do it. If there is enough interest I can make a How-to post with a video.

- - - Updated - - -

This sounds like a great opportunity for improved road trip software to do this for you (well, maybe not the ask a trucker part...) Tesla should be able to use your intended route to pull weather forecast data and present you with any anticipated issues down the road, even if there's nothing on your local forecast where you are. There's a whole list of things I see Tesla doing with software in the future to improve roadtripping, this is actually a minor one compared to some (Supercharger scheduling, time to charge, possibly auto-valet supercharging.)
Walter

Agreed!

Great idea!...add (the option of) online weather reports to the online traffic!!!

Walter

This picture made me smile:

attachment.php?attachmentid=68115&stc=1&d=1420418021.jpg

Maybe someone can enlighten me. I grew up in northern MN, so I'm no stranger to snow but we never use chains here in the midwest, snow tires sure, but not chains no matter how deep the snow is. I know it's different in The West, some mountain passes require chains? I think?, but if I have a decent set of snow tires on for a road trip are snow chains still a necessary piece of kit? Especially since I'm not used to using them I'd rather just not use them at all and remove the human error part of the equation as noted by the OP.

Or alternately just carry something like this? :http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0046CZKIA...TF8&colid=3MDPMHG97RSU1&coliid=I1HP9LHVRJ4557

Mountain passes will either require chains, or Snow tires (which have the snow flake symbol on them).

Here is Utah code:
(3) When any designated highway is so restricted no vehicle shall be allowed or permitted the use of the highway, during the period between October 1 and April 30, or when conditions warrant due to adverse, or hazardous weather or roadway conditions, as determined by the Utah Department of Transportation, unless:
(a) said vehicle is equipped with either:
(i) steel link chains or have chains in possession;
(ii) mounted snow tires; (tires with an M/S designation with or without studs);
(iii) elastomeric tire chains, designed for use with radial tires; or
(iv) four-wheel drive vehicles with a minimum of two mounted snow tires.
(4) Radial tires without snow tread do not meet the requirements.

Maybe someone can enlighten me. I grew up in northern MN, so I'm no stranger to snow but we never use chains here in the midwest, snow tires sure, but not chains no matter how deep the snow is. I know it's different in The West, some mountain passes require chains? I think?, but if I have a decent set of snow tires on for a road trip are snow chains still a necessary piece of kit? Especially since I'm not used to using them I'd rather just not use them at all and remove the human error part of the equation as noted by the OP.

Or alternately just carry something like this? :http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0046CZKIA...TF8&colid=3MDPMHG97RSU1&coliid=I1HP9LHVRJ4557

In a different life, I also lived in the midwest, so I can relate. I think there are a few differences:
1. Most of the time, the chain requirement is for going up mountain passes, like to Lake Tahoe. I have driven far and wide across the midwest, but there is no hill that comes even close.
2. Californians, unlike midwesterners, are used to dry roads and most of them have a surprising amount of trouble staying out of the ditch when it rains, let alone when it snows. They're not worse drivers, it's about what you get used to.
3. I'll buy you a beer if you can find even one set of snow tires in stock at a regular tire store in San Jose. I'll buy you another beer if you manage to convince a trooper that they're as good as snow chains.

The Amazon link was interesting, but the orange thingies look about 99 miles to short for a Tahoe trip...

This picture made me smile:

Glad you liked that! They were swarming the car, even licking the camera and wipers. It's like they never saw a Tesla before :)

- - - Updated - - -

Very cool story and awesome pics. One question: so you made it to PHX from SAN with one supercharging stop in Yuma? How long did you have to wait at Yuma for that?

Sorry I didnt make it clear. SAN to YUMA then YUMA to GILA BEND (13 miles RR left from Yuma to Gila). I would not have been able to make it to PHX without that stop.

- - - Updated - - -

In my opinion, tire socks are a much better choice. I have these for my Ampera:

Car Snow Socks | Snow Socks | Auto Sock | AutoSock UK

nice suggestion. I'll see if they fit 21 inch wheels!

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion, tire socks are a much better choice. I have these for my Ampera:

Car Snow Socks | Snow Socks | Auto Sock | AutoSock UK
Well this does look like an interesting compromise. But as seems to be indicated by other posters, regs and requirements vary pretty significantly here in the states. Wonder if these would pass muster as a chains alternative. BTW thanks everyone for the info, I knew I could count on the TMC crew to set me straight!
---------------------------------
Answered my own questions.
Looks to be 50 state approved per their site: http://www.autosock.us/
And here is the size you want for the stock 19" tire size: http://www.amazon.com/AutoSock-AS69...F8&refRID=0P995SKPWTNFMET1915X#productDetails
And lastly according to their FAQ "Can I use AutoSock on roads where snow chains are required?In the U.S., most states do not regulate traction devices for cars and SUVs. Currently, Colorado has approved AutoSock for Semi-truck uses when snow chains are required in addition to many other states. Nevada requires steel link style tire chains."

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on the reviews I read for the tire socks, they shred pretty quickly if you drive on pavement and they aren't helpful on slick ice. So out in California where they make you put chains on before you reach the snow, the socks may not make it to the snow, and the chain checkers probably won't let you pass with them anyway since they aren't really chains.

I'll buy you another beer if you manage to convince a trooper that they're as good as snow chains.

The usual requirement is snow chains or traction tires. Every time I've been over Donner Pass with chain control checkpoints set up, they always let me through with my studless snow tires. I've gone through with my 1985 Volvo 740 and my 2011 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, neither one was AWD. Haven't been through there yet with our P85.

Here in Oregon, its the same, chains or traction tires (needs to have the snowflake or mountain with snowflake symbol on the sidewall).

We lived in Maine for a while with my 740. The chains I had for it were old cable chains, so I was looking around for better replacements. Not a single tire or parts shop had any idea what I was talking about.