Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

150A EV load without the help of solar PV...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

FlasherZ

Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv
Jun 21, 2012
Tonight, my wife and I arrived home at nearly the same time, and we plugged both Model S (80A dual chargers) and Model X (72A) into our wall connectors... the result? 150A current draw, a loud hum, and a fast-spinning meter!

You can watch the kWh numbers turn in live action if you watch the front. :)

It seems the Model X 72A charger is limited to 17.5 kW, as the car will refuse to charge at 72A for me - presumably because of higher voltage of my home mains. While I can set it to 72A before I plug in, it will reduce the charge current based upon the voltage that is presented to the car before it starts charging. I plug in and the value on the charging screen drops to 70A or 69A, I'm guessing because my home is running at about 250V.

(No transformer issues here - even at 150A load, the voltage registered by both cars still hangs at 245V!)

Last edited by a moderator:
"Hello, Sir... we're with the power company... we're here to replace worn bearings on your electrical meter..."

Something like that. :) It's also quite fun to watch as the meter is chugging along backwards until we come and plug in the car(s).

They do wear over time, and one of the biggest complaints of some neighborhoods where smart meters replace 30 year old meters that contain worn-out mechanical components and under-measure power because of higher friction. My power company's typical digital meters cannot do net metering for solar, so they re-installed one of the old classics here.

My power company's typical digital meters cannot do net metering for solar, so they re-installed one of the old classics here.

Off topic so I'll keep it short. My power company's (Entergy) "normal" digital meters will show power going in reverse (solar feeding back to the grid) but will count kWh UP regardless of which way the electrons are flowing. So, for those that install solar and turn it on before the digital Net Meter is installed will pay the going rate for everything they send back! :)