Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

150kW new charge rate MX D90

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am on a trip through CA again. Just did this 2 weeks ago . Now on update v11(2022.16.0.3) and on the 150kW chargers I can only get up to 68 to 70 kW despite a very low state of charge. Same at 3 different sites. Also tried changing chargers. Unpaired at each time. Is something suddenly wrong with my charging or is this the new update? I've travelled extensively and have free for life charging.

Reactions: gangzoom
I am on a trip through CA again. Just did this 2 weeks ago . Now on update v11(2022.16.0.3) and on the 150kW chargers I can only get up to 68 to 70 kW despite a very low state of charge. Same at 3 different sites. Also tried changing chargers. Unpaired at each time. Is something suddenly wrong with my charging or is this the new update? I've travelled extensively and have free for life charging.
Tesla is probably capping your charge rate “for undisclosed safety reasons”.

There’s a thread about it in the battery forums.

Strange how this limitation only applies to vehicles with free unlimited supercharging though.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
I used to be able to get a "whopping" 117kW at low state of charge when unpaired or at V3 charger. Even as of 2 days ago. What changed???? I placed a service request. Will see if they respond. Thanks.
Tesla’s response will be “within spec”

I’ll translate that for you; “It’s working as expected since we crippled your car with a software update”.

Upvote 0
Have you tried a v3 charger on your trip? You might get different results there.

Upvote 0
It does indeed sound like the same thing they did to the older model S cars with the 85 KW battery. Mine has over 250,000 miles on it, was mostly supercharged at an urban supercharger, which is the same rate they have lowered the supercharging to at all the superchargers. To say it another way you can't argue with success. Lowering these batteries charge rate way way down does seem to make the batteries last much longer. Of course, that's not exactly why we bought them! And, it's interesting that it happens to reduce Tesla's battery replacement warranty costs. Not that I'm bitter or anything!

Upvote 0
Ha ha. Thanks. I'll see how it goes on the return trip. It will add 8 to 10 min to a big charging session if I start low.

That's about what we decided to. It actually works out okay for us, we're never in much of a hurry, and if you eat lunch, you don't have to get up and move your car when the charge gets to its max! Mostly because it doesn't get there by the time you're done, but then again you hardly ever need it.

Upvote 0
Have you called Roadside and had them look at your vehicle?

Guessing their default will be "Turn the car off and back on".

But I had this problem right after taking ownership of my '16 MX P90D last October, and kept calling. It turned out there was an issue w/ the thermal management hardware in my HV pack, and the whole thing had to be replaced. There may be some data they can see that isn't exposed to the owner/driver while you're charging, so I'd start there.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Upvote 0
Have you checked to make sure the louvers are opening up when Supercharging? If the louvers don't open, then the car can't cool the battery properly so it reduces the maximum charge rate.

I had this happen and there is no error on the display but the logs will show a louver alert. Tesla first claimed there were no problems. Took it to a different service center and they found the problem before I even left. After louver was replaced, my max 68kw at even a low 10% went back up to 117KW.

That said, they eventually massively capped my charge rate with a software update.

Upvote 0