TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

150kw Supercharging

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Pilot Steve, May 6, 2019.

1. Pilot Steve

Pilot Steve Member

this was just sent to me from Tesla:. Thank you for reaching out to Tesla Support. Definitely a great question. Most Tesla owners will see an overall improvement in charge efficiency and peak charge rates, though not all will reach 150kW peak charge rates immediately. However, we expect the vast majority of our fleet (including all new models) to be 150kW capable within the next few months as we roll out further improvements. the peak rate each vehicle achieves will vary with size and age of battery pack, state of charge and ambient temperature conditions. There are a small number (<10%) of North America Supercharger stations that will not immediately deliver 150kW peak charge rates. Please consult the Supercharger pin in your vehicle UI to view the max charge capability of various Supercharger locations.

Your thoughts

• Informative x 3
  2. Pilot Steve

Pilot Steve Member

Please consult the Supercharger pin in your vehicle UI to view the max charge capability of various Supercharger locations

What is this and where do you find it?

3. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

Just select any supercharger icon on the map and it will display a popup with it's max rate (in theory).

4. Pilot Steve

Pilot Steve Member

the update 2019.12.1.2 is the one with the 150kw charging correct?

5. HandleX

HandleX Member

QUOTE="Pilot Steve, post: 3635617, member: 45622"]the update 2019.12.1.2 is the one with the 150kw charging correct?[/QUOTE]

I have 2019.12.1.2 and on a recent road trip my highest charge rate was 135kW

6. Silicon Desert

Sounds like they are finally giving an answer that is more correct. That's what I would expect, except for that word "pin".

• Like x 1
  7. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Works on mine 12.1.1 2018 XP100 I have gotten the 150 already

• Informative x 3
  8. BryWay

BryWay Member

I think in this context, the word "pin" refers to the location of the Supercharger -- from the practice of "dropping a pin" on a map, or "pinning" a location on a map. When I first read the original post, I thought there was a numeric PIN we'd need to enter (or retrieve) for this info.

• Helpful x 1
  9. Anzir

Anzir Supporting Member

Highest I've seen so far since the update was 132kW.
    20190513_124503.jpg

• Informative x 1
  10. MaxK

MaxK Member

2019-05-13 00.10.24.jpg 2018 X 100D 2019.12.12

11. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

It's on your navigation. You can click on your map a Supercharger pin such as "A" below and it lists all its features including as in this case "150 kW max":

[​IMG]

12. Hilbe

Hilbe Member

Hoping my 90D gets to 150kw at some point. It is a 400V pack afterall.

Will hit 2 or 3 superchargers tonight on a trip to see what I can get on my 90D.

13. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

If u do u will be the first 90batt I have seen ;)

14. dknisely

dknisely Member

I was rather shocked to see 138 kW at about 52% SoC at Aberdeen over the weekend. There was only one other car at the 8-stall SC. [December 2018 Model X 100D, and I was navigating to the SC, so pre-heating might have been happening.]

• Like x 1
  15. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

It makes sense that 100KWH packs can take a higher charge rate. The more cells in the pack, the higher the charge rate. The ultimate limit is how much an individual cell can take without damage. The more cells in the pack, the more power you can put in without causing damage.

A different chemistry may allow more power per cell, which can increase the total charge rate of the pack, but comparing packs with the same chemistry, you're limit is the number of cells.

• Informative x 2
  16. Hilbe

Hilbe Member

Latest firmware seeing higher speeds on my 90D.

Attached Files:

• Like x 4
  17. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. Ludicrous Radiologist

Went on a road trip over the weekend and pulled 126 kW at ~50% SOC. Previous high at about this SOC at this particular Supercharger was ~108 kW. I was also navigating to the SC, so on-route battery warmup may have helped a bit...

• Informative x 1