Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1537264-00-B vs 80-B

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in a bit of a situation where my existing ECU port (80-B) went bad somehow??? I have a Model 3 LR which was manufactured in September 2021 and which I picked up in December. I've had my service appoitnment to replace this part moved now three times and this latest appointment is completely unacceptable as I have a road trip. I'm thinking of just buying a replacement 80-B on ebay and trying to put it in myself until I can finally get in and get the 00-B--which is what Tesla has promised. Since the parts are the same, is it literally just remove the old one and put the new one in? the car should freak out or have an issue?

The parts are NOT the same regardless of what Tesla tells you. The 80-B variant does not come with the CCS chip while the 00-B part does. That is the only difference. If you go to the additional vehicle information under the software screen you will see that yours says "Not installed" for CCS adapter support. I also have a 2021 M3 LR from this build time and I swapped the 80-B for a 00-B; see my post below on it.

Yes I know that, sorry if that wasnt' clear. what i"m saying is that you cna't even order 80-B; so they should not be thinking they're going to replace my bad 80-B with another 80-B. I am not doing this just to get an upgrade either, I'm doing it because my ECU board is actually NOT letting me charge (it's gone bad apparently?) I did go ahead and order a used 80-B that was pulled from a wrecked 2021 model 3 as a back up plan. If tesla service can't get my issue fixed before my road trip on the 16th, I'm going to have to take my chances and self-replace the bad ECU for another 80 just so that I can have slow charging back until the newer board comes in.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
Yes I know that, sorry if that wasnt' clear. what i"m saying is that you cna't even order 80-B; so they should not be thinking they're going to replace my bad 80-B with another 80-B. I am not doing this just to get an upgrade either, I'm doing it because my ECU board is actually NOT letting me charge (it's gone bad apparently?) I did go ahead and order a used 80-B that was pulled from a wrecked 2021 model 3 as a back up plan. If tesla service can't get my issue fixed before my road trip on the 16th, I'm going to have to take my chances and self-replace the bad ECU for another 80 just so that I can have slow charging back until the newer board comes in.

It is relatively easy. You can do it!

Also since your slow charging doesn't work either, It seems especially pressing...

No dice :( I drove to the new service center near me, was able to find their WiFi, i connected to it and accessed service mode. Drove home, swapped out the board for the "salvaged" one (same model number...same year). System gave me the error messages I was expecting once everything was reconnected. Forced a system reinstall. Watched as the software claimed it was running updates to the ECU board. Car finally rebooted after about 15 minutes---same stupid error message when trying to slow charge---"Charging Equipment not Ready." I carefully put back my original ECUT board and then put EVERYTHING back the way it was (tighten bolts, spent nearly 20 minutes repositioning that stiff ass liner and reclipping all the pices of the trim back in)--so now I guess it's just be prepared for my car to sit at Tesla service forever when they finally realize that swapping out the ECU board wont fix my charging issue....what a bummer. I really thought this was the only item that "controlled" AC/slow charging. I'll hop over to a Supercharger later just to make sure I still have that ability---though I dont imagine I won't.

No dice :( I drove to the new service center near me, was able to find their WiFi, i connected to it and accessed service mode. Drove home, swapped out the board for the "salvaged" one (same model number...same year). System gave me the error messages I was expecting once everything was reconnected. Forced a system reinstall. Watched as the software claimed it was running updates to the ECU board. Car finally rebooted after about 15 minutes---same stupid error message when trying to slow charge---"Charging Equipment not Ready." I carefully put back my original ECUT board and then put EVERYTHING back the way it was (tighten bolts, spent nearly 20 minutes repositioning that stiff ass liner and reclipping all the pices of the trim back in)--so now I guess it's just be prepared for my car to sit at Tesla service forever when they finally realize that swapping out the ECU board wont fix my charging issue....what a bummer. I really thought this was the only item that "controlled" AC/slow charging. I'll hop over to a Supercharger later just to make sure I still have that ability---though I dont imagine I won't.
I assume you've already tried to AC charge at a few different places to rule out that it's not the charging equipment that is the problem, correct? Could also be a bad onboard charger if DC charging works but AC doesn't.

I assume you've already tried to AC charge at a few different places to rule out that it's not the charging equipment that is the problem, correct? Could also be a bad onboard charger if DC charging works but AC doesn't.
Yeah, I have a UMC that has both the 110 and a 250 plug ..and I have a JuiceBox 40 (plug-in) that also didn't work. So I've tested both outlets (15a and 50a) and both types of connections.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
OK, so hmm! Found this thread by snooping @JulienWA threads 😅 Let me see if I can offer any insight...

So, you've got a JuiceBox! That's great - I know its guts and protocol. It's a J1772 station, which signals a bit differently than the UMC (Tesla cord) does - Tesla's cord will start-off by signaling J1772, then switch to speaking SWC (Tesla's own protocol).

You're saying that the message on the screen says "charging equipment not ready"? What's the full text of it? (how about a photo?) Some nuance might be found with the sub-text below - sometimes I've seen "not powered" or "fault" or otherwise.

Since you're dealing with Gen4 ECUs, the ECU board should be easy to remove from the case (pop the case open with snap latches and pull the board out) - might you try sharing a photo of the board back & front to look for any component damage? I've seen a damaged charge port ECU in the past 🤔

It's particularly odd if the JuiceBox and the UMC both give the same issue - "charging equipment not ready" - with the same error message. Since the UMC speaks Tesla's SWC protocol, it can tell the car a lot more about the issue. If it's not even getting that far, we're still, really, looking at a potentially bad ECU. 😶

hey Falcon, sorry I dindt respond sooner, I just decided to leave this all alone for the weekend since I have other issues going on (i had a pipe leak in my home and have been dealing with contractors, etc). Not sure what I did to piss the gods off, but have had a lot going on at once :) I'm convinced the issue is the actual on-board charger and not the ECU board. I found out from my local service center that they usually order both of these parts to "feed two birds with one scone" when people report this as an issue. It would just seem highly unlikely that I'd have two bad ECU boards in a row unless the onboard charger was also faulty. (-edited for brevity)

Last edited: