TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

155 mile roadtrip in a 60kWh

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Apoclyps, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Apoclyps

Apoclyps Member

Thought I'd throw out a recent roadtrip I made in my 60. Overall, it covered 155 miles (based on google maps) heading to 6 different stops before heading home. approximately 110 miles was freeway driving.

Started the day with a ranged charge (204 rated miles).
    First leg was 10 miles city, 20 miles hwy (at 70 mph avg). solo driving

then errands to 4 places around my parents and then my sister's house, stop and go city driving, with AC on at 70 degrees F (it would reach 94 degrees outside). again solo driving.

then a long leg of 55 miles to Riverside at 70 mph avg, with AC on full blast to 69 degrees F (it was ~102 degrees outside, i had picked up my sister with baked goods so needed them both not to melt). at this point, i had driven ~100 miles, and I had 82 rated miles left. so I had lost ~20 rated miles from my traveling speed and AC?

the last leg was 57 miles to home. I was asked to drive a family member home (adding 20+ miles to my trip) but declined thinking I would not make it (based on google maps). I had some range anxiety and decided to have my windows rolled down (still ~90 degrees outside at 8:30pm) and deal with the heat on my trek home. Luckily once I hit the OC border, the outside temps hit the mid 70s. made it home with 29 rated miles left. So i could have driven my family member home (and not look like an idiot with an expensive EV) and still have enough juice to make it back home..barely.

Lessons learned: expect to lose 10% of rated miles going at 70 mph (never really paid much attention as I usually don't drive more than 40 miles on a daily basis). expect to be asked to drive people places with the new car (adding to miles driven). I thought about plugging in when I was in Riverside. Found a parking lot with Chargepoint chargers about a mile away from where I was to spend 4 hours (wedding reception). but decided not to charge due to the area I was in. Didn't feel like it was the safest place to leave my car for 4 hours.

Still learning...

2. David_Cary

David_Cary Member

Just a note. A/C is so close to zero. Don't suffer. When you add in the aero effect of open windows, you have to be driving pretty slowly to do better without a/c. Honestly a/c is like 1% of usage at 65 mph. Probably better to slow down to 64.

The a/c on an EV is much more efficient than an ICE a/c. The throttling of the compressor is near magic. And at 8:30 pm with close to zero solar gain. And no ICE heat to dissipate. Maintaining a comfortable cabin temp is nothing. Yes taking a 100 degree cabin to 70 takes some juice and yes combating a noon sun takes some juice but maintaining 70 with an ambient temp of 90 takes very little.

3. Mnlevin

Mnlevin Member

You are right on the loss above 70mph but I have been doing those trips now about once a week for a few months. You will realize very quickly that first, you will easily get about 160-170 miles on a range charge, and if desperate, you can use Plug Share to find a place to top off. We drive between Coral Springs and Key Largo a few times per month, 110 miles and don't even blink. Of course I have a 240 plug at the other end. You will learn how far you can go each day and not give it a second thought. BTW, even drove from CS to Orlando using the PSL supercharger and a free Chargepoint at the Hotel. No Problem 220 miles each way.

4. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

I agree completely. Close the windows and turn on the A/C; it is a net win in energy usage.

I often do a 300 mile drive in my P85. Due to elevation differences and prevailing winds, I need to add 50-70 miles in the middle going uphill/west, and 25-35 miles going downhill/east to finish the trip without range anxiety. What I do summer and winter is use the iPhone App to turn on the climate control during the last 15 minutes of charging. This gets the cabin to temperature on shore power and then all the A/C or heater need to do is to maintain cabin temps. This is much less costly in terms of energy usage than making a big cabin temperature change.

5. Apoclyps

Apoclyps Member

I forgot to mention that I did use the phone app to turn on the AC to cool the car down before having people get in. but it is a moot point, since you all are saying it should not deplete my battery much (good to know!!!).

Also, my avg mph of 70 was in the SLOW lane of the freeway, so going any slower....would be hazardous. LOL. My sister even noted that I was driving rather slow.

6. hans

hans P631

I just did a 305 mile single day trip in my S60. AC was in range mode the whole way which was very comfortable. Left Menlo Park with 90% charge, picked up my passenger in Los Altos, drove to the Folsom Supercharger. Stopped for quick lunch and supercharged back to 80%. Then to Elk Grove (just south of Sacramento). Quick top up at the Walgreen's Chargepoint during dinner at Outback Steakhouse. Drove back to Fremont Factory Supercharger for a quick 20 mile insurance charge (that I probably didn't need but it was very close to call and I wanted to show my passenger the factory). Then back to Los Altos to drop off my very impressed geek friend, and home to Menlo Park. At no point did I need to range charge, and I probably could have done the trip with the single supercharge in Folsom. Can't wait for the supercharger in the Stockton/Tracy area so I won't have to make the extra leg out to Folsom next time.

Key to doing this range in a S60 is to watch the estimated range display in real time and slow down just 5 miles/hour whenever it dips below the distance to your destination (as displayed on the nav). I do these trips with the console split between the energy app and the nav/map display for constant monitoring.

Side note: Waited about 10 minutes to get a free charge spot at Fremont, even though it was after hours. There was a Tesla limo there charging up before he had to leave to pickup his passenger at SFO. Le Grande Affaire (Limo Services in San Jose, San Francisco | Airport Transportation | Limousine Rentals) if anyone is interested. My max charge rate at both Fremont and Folsom superchargers was 70 kWh.

7. Gynob001

Gynob001 Member

Mnlevin
    I do plan to drive from Orlando to Miami and further down to the keys. Are there any superchargers/chargers along the way? For my last trip, I chickened out on the last minute and took my regular gas car.

8. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

I have done a couple of 300+ miles day trips in my 60 (along I5, using a Supercharger on the way). Plus a 180 miles and 5000ft elevation gain trip with no Supercharger in sight. 240V/30A is SLOW.
    The only reason for me to miss not having an 85 so far is that the 85 charges quite a bit faster on the Supercharger...

9. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Absolutely. However, I'll point out that my commute is about 90 miles round trip and mostly freeway. Probably the slowest I'll go is 70 MPH and (at least now in the summer) I usually end up at home having recorded under 300 Wh/mi. So I'm actually beating Rated Range with a/c and relatively fast speeds. I track a bit higher than 300 on my way to work and considerably under on the way home, which tells me something about the elevation change, I guess.

10. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams Active Member

I drove 151 miles autonomously this summer with my Toyota Rav4 EV. The first time was with a 4000 feet elevation gain!

Compared to the Model S-60, the Rav4 has no aerodynamics and less battery (41.8kWh usable). Drive carefully folks.

11. Mnlevin

Mnlevin Member

#11 Mnlevin, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
    There is a supercharger at Pt St Lucie. From there you can get to my condo in Key Largo and I have a 240 plug outside but bring your bathing suit and sit by the pool for the 5 hrs to charge. You will need to call first for me to let you past the gate. There is nothing from Key Largo to Key West, but one of the members is raising money to put a HPWC in just north of Key West. I think it is Nigel. Contact Larry Chanin for his contact info to see if he got it done. There are a few Camp Grounds that may sell you a connection.

BTW there are plenty of public chargers and chargers at hotels in Dade and Broward County. Look up on PlugShare