Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

15kmiles: need to replace tires and do alignment - is it ok?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

bought Tesla Model 3 AWD LR in December, 2019. Now mileage is almost 15k miles. Yesterday visited America's tires, wanted to do rotation. But was surprised because was told that already need to replace tires (R18) and highly recommended to do alignment.
I know that better to do rotation every 5-6k, but it is almost new car!
Is it ok?!

Reactions: SlimJim
15K in 8 months is a LOT of miles. If it was really out of alignment, that would cause your excessive tire wear. Or, they may just be trying to sell you some stuff - maybe get a second opinion? Or you could get a tire tread gauge and check it yourself.

...replace tires...

That depends on what your tires' tread depth is: you should replace if they are down to 4/32" or 3mm.

Your tire longevity is dependent on many factors including driving habits and alignment...

Running over a pothole or bumping into a curb can knock the alignment out of whack.

They can printout pre-alignment numbers to verify whether an alignment is needed or not.

I got about 9K out of the stock tires before they were on the wear bars, so 15k sounds good.

It depends a great deal on how you drive. Most places will check the alignment for free. If its out, its not out by much to make it this long.

I checked my alignment when my car was new to have a reference, and all the toe angles were out of spec.
I check the alignment every 6 months and only tiny corrections get reported.
I also rotate only front and rear on the same side, I could use my spare to cross the tires but I don't want to have curb rash on both sides...

I read that the OEM tires don't get good mileage, also RWD tires take all the load in heavy acceleration compare with AWD.
What kind of tires and size do you plan to get?

• Informative
Reactions: alstoralset
That depends on what your tires' tread depth is: you should replace if they are down to 4/32" or 3mm.

Your tire longevity is dependent on many factors including driving habits and alignment...

Running over a pothole or bumping into a curb can knock the alignment out of whack.

They can printout pre-alignment numbers to verify whether an alignment is needed or not.

2/32" per DOT and most states. Michelin even states that replacing a tire at 3mm doesn't provide a safety benefit over the manufacturer/ legal requirements. I wouldn't go below 2/32" but 4/32" is more like the dream of a tire installation place...

• Love
Reactions: ucmndd
I checked my alignment when my car was new to have a reference, and all the toe angles were out of spec.
I check the alignment every 6 months and only tiny corrections get reported.
I also rotate only front and rear on the same side, I could use my spare to cross the tires but I don't want to have curb rash on both sides...

I read that the OEM tires don't get good mileage, also RWD tires take all the load in heavy acceleration compare with AWD.
What kind of tires and size do you plan to get?

Where do you get your alignment at?