Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

16 17 or 18 FSD differences. Please help me understand.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And I will not have the recording mode in sentry mode. That's what I was referring to, sorry I didn't specify that. Right?

So in summary, sounds like I should go for 16, upgrade to $2500 infotainment/mcu2. Upgrade to aftermarket warranty $3999, then upgrade to a third party dashcam with recording. $? OK. Gives me some more math to do.

2016 MCU2/AP3 will be functionally identical to a 2018 MCU2/AP3. So not sure why you need the dashcam.

I'm pretty sure you get recording with sentry mode even with MCU1 but I don't remember for sure.

You get full sentry / dashcam with MCU1 / HW3. You just don't have the ability to replay saved clips, or view side marker cameras on the MCU unless you go to MCU2. I am still MCU1/HW3(FSD) and have full sentry and dashcam recording.

As others have said, no need for a 3rd party dashcam unless you want to record the inside of the cabin. Just have a plan to be able to read the USB/SD memory stick if you need to ever review footage (until you get MCU2).

Dashcam is useless even on MCU1/HW3. The video clips are very choppy and not usable.

Dashcam is useless even on MCU1/HW3. The video clips are very choppy and not usable.

I literally just got a notification icon on my car (MCU1 with recently upgraded HW3) 5 mins ago that said something to the effect of my USB used for dashcam is too slow, and not saving all clips. It literally is the brand/model of USB that is on Tesla's recommended list.

And without boring everyone with details, I have a LONG list of issues that my MCU1 started having/still has as soon as I had FSD/HW3 installed. Its very obvious that the old MCU1 chip/memory/architecture from 2012 is not truly capable of keeping up with the demands of the HW3 computer. There is a reason why the MCU2 unit has 8x as much memory and a processor that is exponentially more powerful than the MCU1 unit.

I literally just got a notification icon on my car (MCU1 with recently upgraded HW3) 5 mins ago that said something to the effect of my USB used for dashcam is too slow, and not saving all clips. It literally is the brand/model of USB that is on Tesla's recommended list.

And without boring everyone with details, I have a LONG list of issues that my MCU1 started having/still has as soon as I had FSD/HW3 installed. Its very obvious that the old MCU1 chip/memory/architecture from 2012 is not truly capable of keeping up with the demands of the HW3 computer. There is a reason why the MCU2 unit has 8x as much memory and a processor that is exponentially more powerful than the MCU1 unit.

If it makes you feel any better I get that warning as well on my MCU2 but the recordings still work.

• Informative
Reactions: Art VandeIay

Tesla won't admit that though

Reactions: 2101Guy
Thanks guys! Sorry for so many questions. So if a MS I’m looking at says “Highway Autopilot- included package”. Does this equate to AP with convenience ? Or can I upgrade to FSD?

Havent read all of the posts in this thread, but general rules of thumb
2017/2018's will have the cameras already installed that will allow the car to be upgraded to FSD.

SOME 2016's have the cameras installed that will allow the car to be upgraded to FSD. (Later 2016 builds)

If you see cameras in the B pillars and on the front fenders, thats a car that has or can be upgraded, to FSD.

And beore you ask, is it technically possible to upgrade a early 2016 or prior, with cameras and all to get to FSD? Sure. Almost anything is POSSIBLE.
But financially feasible for the average owner? Most likely...not

Havent read all of the posts in this thread, but general rules of thumb
2017/2018's will have the cameras already installed that will allow the car to be upgraded to FSD.

SOME 2016's have the cameras installed that will allow the car to be upgraded to FSD. (Later 2016 builds)

If you see cameras in the B pillars and on the front fenders, thats a car that has or can be upgraded, to FSD.

And beore you ask, is it technically possible to upgrade a early 2016 or prior, with cameras and all to get to FSD? Sure. Almost anything is POSSIBLE.
But financially feasible for the average owner? Most likely...not

I really wanna say that one I looked at said Highway autopilot . But it did have the B pillar cameras I thought. I’ll have to triple check now.

So next question is, if I see a late 2016 (FDS capable) car that hasn’t had the upgrade yet, what will the AP computer screen say? Will it say “FDS upgrade available “?
It will say something like “Autopilot 2.0 computer” or “Autopilot 2.5 computer” or similar. A car that has already been upgraded to HW 3.0 will show “full self driving computer”.

• Informative
Reactions: DSolie
I really wanna say that one I looked at said Highway autopilot . But it did have the B pillar cameras I thought. I’ll have to triple check now.
I've never seen the term Highway autopilot used before. It should've been called Enhanced Autopilot or Basic Autopilot (or FSD) if it had AP2 or higher hardware.

My guess would be it had Enhanced Autopilot which includes Navigate on Autopilot which works on highways.

I've never seen the term Highway autopilot used before. It should've been called Enhanced Autopilot or Basic Autopilot (or FSD) if it had AP2 or higher hardware.

My guess would be it had Enhanced Autopilot which includes Navigate on Autopilot which works on highways.
I agree that it's confusing but if you go to the Software screen in the menu of the car itself it says "Highway Autopilot" which I've only heard mentioned a couple of times. I also don't recall seeing it there previously so I don't know if this was a recent add via firmware update or if I just never noticed it. It wasn't until I saw someone mention it who was shopping for a new (read: used) car that I even realized it was a thing. I was telling them there was no such thing as "highway autopilot" until I went out to my car and say it for myself.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker