Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

16 17 or 18 FSD differences. Please help me understand.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently in the market for a P 100 D. My budget is around 70 K. I am finding 2016 models in the low 70s and 2018 models in the high 70s. Almost all of them will say full self driving. But my understanding is that newer ones have more cameras or something like that. I somewhat understand the hardware iterations of 1 to 2.5 and three. But right now at this moment I am currently looking at a 2017 and 2018 model that are only about 1500 difference in price. I’m just trying to figure out if it’s better to spend another $1500 and get a 2018 model that may not have the best wheels ($4500 value).

any help on this topic would be great. Thanks.

Almost all 2018 vehicles have mcu2. The jury is still out if that makes a difference with FSD beta.
Vehicles with ap2.5 have more color than 2.0 and have sentry mode. But when hardware gets upgraded to FSD, lower color resolution remains for upgraded vehicle. Blue color sensor added to ap2.5. Already had red. Maybe for hardware 4 we will get full color and they will add green.

Out of curiosity, why prefer a p100 versus a new 100d? You'll get 100 more miles of range with new. Also there is a rumor that an interior update is coming in Q1.

Last edited:
Almost all 2018 vehicles have mcu2. The jury is still out if that makes a difference with FSD beta.
Vehicles with ap2.5 have more color than 2.0 and have sentry mode. But when hardware gets upgraded to FSD, lower color resolution remains for upgraded vehicle. Blue color sensor added to ap2.5. Already had red. Maybe for hardware 4 we will get full color and they will add green.

Out of curiosity, why prefer a p100 versus a new 100d? You'll get 100 more miles of range with new. Also there is a rumor that an interior update is coming in Q1.

Performance is the main reason. AP is number two.

But my main reason is wanting to know if I could save the $10k in price and just get a low mileage 16 and “upgrade” to the exact same FSD that is offered through Tesla for $2500 later on. Saving approx $7500 on the vehicle.

Production year means nothing (no concept of model years). Tesla perpetually makes updates all the time. The various iterations on autopilot hardware are called AP1, AP2, AP2.5, AP3. Until recently not much was functionally different. more dealt on AP version:

This website lets you search used cars and filter on AP versions: https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/
Thanks. Ya, I’m aware of that site. But it only lists the Vehicles from Tesla. I don’t really like their current system of used car sales. But the main thing I’m trying to understand is if I can buy a 2016 and upgrade it to function just the exact same as a 2018. Or, if I’d be limited by the upgradeability of a 2016 model.

Thanks. Ya, I’m aware of that site. But it only lists the Vehicles from Tesla. I don’t really like their current system of used car sales. But the main thing I’m trying to understand is if I can buy a 2016 and upgrade it to function just the exact same as a 2018. Or, if I’d be limited by the upgradeability of a 2016 model.
2016 cars manufactured ~October or later have autopilot 2.0 hardware and can be “upgraded” to the exact FSD hardware being sold in current cars (minus some minor detail about the color filters on some of the cameras that have no effect on performance of the system).

Prior 2016 cars are autopilot 1.0 and have no upgrade path.

Performance is the main reason. AP is number two.

But my main reason is wanting to know if I could save the $10k in price and just get a low mileage 16 and “upgrade” to the exact same FSD that is offered through Tesla for $2500 later on. Saving approx $7500 on the vehicle.
Yes, that will work, except sentry mode videos will be missing the blue color.

Q4 2016 and on should have AP2+ good for FSD. You'll probably want MCU2 as well, a $2500 or so upgrade if not original equipment. The FSD computer (HW3) is included in the FSD price if needed.

And just to be sure, all Teslas in that age range will be FSD "capable". The hardware will be in place for FSD, or upgradable as needed. But the car may not have those capabilities unless they have been purchased. If purchased used through Tesla they may have removed FSD, among other things. If purchased through a used car dealer it is possible that Tesla has or will remove FSD, so even the original window sticker may not be accurate. If purchased through a private sale you should be safe if you can verify FSD options show up in the settings screen. So be very careful about what you are getting.

Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot, and FSD are all different options with different capabilities and costs. FSD costs less when upgrading from EAP versus the current basic AP.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Sounds like I would be missing out on the dashcam function though with only 2.0 to 3.0'upgrade.
Not really. I recently updated my 2016 S90D to MCU2 and HW3. Dashcam and side+rear cameras show when backing up. The major difference from newer cars is the cameras have no blue color sensors, and the radar has a bit shorter range (and first generation steering/brake booster with slightly less capable systems).

Bottom lime: Works very nicely with today’s limited FSD as released, and likely very capable when full FSD arrives.

You still get dashcam from some cameras even with MCU1. If you get MCU2 upgrade for $2500 it's exactly the same. You get dashcam on all cameras.

Basically save the cash and buy a 2016 unless you're getting a really good deal on a 2018. That's my opinion.

And I will not have the recording mode in sentry mode. That's what I was referring to, sorry I didn't specify that. Right?

So in summary, sounds like I should go for 16, upgrade to $2500 infotainment/mcu2. Upgrade to aftermarket warranty $3999, then upgrade to a third party dashcam with recording. $? OK. Gives me some more math to do.

And I will not have the recording mode in sentry mode. That's what I was referring to, sorry I didn't specify that. Right?

So in summary, sounds like I should go for 16, upgrade to $2500 infotainment/mcu2. Upgrade to aftermarket warranty $3999, then upgrade to a third party dashcam with recording. $? OK. Gives me some more math to do.
You would have recording capability and if the car was originally AP2, you can upgrade the repeater cameras yourself for less than $260. There's no need for another dashcam unless you want additional features not offered by Tesla's sentry mode and dashcam.

We upgraded our AP2/MCU1 car to have AP3/MCU2. This added the ability to record with sentry mode. We then upgraded the repeater cameras ourselves so the color looked better but this was not necessary. This essentially upgraded the car to be a late 2018/early 2019 model (funtionality-wise). We do have a third party dashcam which provides cloud functionality and 4k recording.

One other benefit that a 2016 would have would be transferable free supercharging if you buy the car from a private seller.

You get full sentry / dashcam with MCU1 / HW3. You just don't have the ability to replay saved clips, or view side marker cameras on the MCU unless you go to MCU2. I am still MCU1/HW3(FSD) and have full sentry and dashcam recording.

As others have said, no need for a 3rd party dashcam unless you want to record the inside of the cabin. Just have a plan to be able to read the USB/SD memory stick if you need to ever review footage (until you get MCU2).