Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

16.2 Near Collision w/ Auto Lane Change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow geez just experienced this yesterday with typical LA traffic. First time I almost got into an accident with my M3.

- Auto-lane changed to faster lane
- Tesla changed its mind
- Almost caused crash with car ahead of me so I applied forceful braking

Damn I knew when I got the indication to change lanes, I should have overridden it due to traffic but decided to sit back. Thanks GOD I was paying attention!

Wow geez just experienced this yesterday with typical LA traffic. First time I almost got into an accident with my M3.

- Tesla changed its mind

Damn I knew when I got the indication to change lanes, I should have overridden it due to traffic but decided to sit back. Thanks GOD I was paying attention!

I've been in a similar situation on a few occasions. It's NoA and not specific to 16.2.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic

- Tesla changed its mind

That's bad.

You can see the line that caused the reaction.

This software seems like a step backwards . . .

Ya motorcycle likely. Thsts terrible. Thsts why after consumer report article I turn off the automatic switch lane. But this motorcycle will still happen. And the motorcycle is kinda hidden with the other car until it is very close approaching. We human knows likely there won't be an impact so we won't pull the wheel back. Computer doesn't.

@pitabun Thanks for posting the driver side repeater cam. Looks like it was the motorcycle that caused the canceled lane change and also looks like the car SUV was approaching pretty quickly for your car to safety complete the lane change.

I'm always hesitant to enable auto lane change during traffic because the system isn't fullproof on safety making a lane change at a particular speed whether you would need to increase your speed after making the lane change etc.

I agree with pdx3181. If you look at the video you will see the line in the center of the starting lane (looks to be an expansion crack) become very straight and visible. As the lane change starts the same type crack or "line" starts in the lane that was being moved to. It appears the AP may have become confused. For a short time the AP seems to be tracking directly between them as if they were lane markers and that may be what caused this "behavior".
Just speculation but when I pay a little attention to the lines they do appear to form a sort of lane especially when you consider this is a camera and computer making these calls so when the lane change started it saw those as the new lane for a just a moment, then not and the "adventure" begins.

Reactions: KenC
I agree with pdx3181. If you look at the video you will see the line in the center of the starting lane (looks to be an expansion crack) become very straight and visible. As the lane change starts the same type crack or "line" starts in the lane that was being moved to. It appears the AP may have become confused. For a short time the AP seems to be tracking directly between them as if they were lane markers and that may be what caused this "behavior".
Just speculation but when I pay a little attention to the lines they do appear to form a sort of lane especially when you consider this is a camera and computer making these calls so when the lane change started it saw those as the new lane for a just a moment, then not and the "adventure" begins.
What lines looks decent. Ap is smart enough. It's the motorcycle.

You took the wrong evasive action. You should have taken control and planted it in the left lane.

"Thank God I was paying attention"

WTF else would you be doing while you were in charge of driving a car down a highway?

Difference here is the AP created a situation where he had to suddenly respond, where as if AP was not engaged, he/she would have just completed the lane change on not have to slam on brakes. What if AP swerved back in at a later time where it was too late for him to react and brake?

I guess I understand when Elon said human use vision and not shoot lasers.. However human not only use vision sometime also use sound like approaching bike... And can turn head and see far.. and analyze So hope these all hard problems can be solved by current hardware in place..