Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

16.3 visualisation - fewer vehicles detected

On my prior version 12.3.3 I would occasionally see a car or two that were not detected/rendered coming the other way. My niece and nephew played a game counting and we reckoned it missed 10%

This morning I did a 106 miles round trip with them and they count it missed over 80%. This is on a fresh 16.3

It's a trivial matter I know as I do not know if it's just a rendering issue or whether Tesla Vision has regressed in recent versions.

Anyone else noticed this?

I wish I could turn the stupid visualisation off and make the rest of UI bigger, esp the map. I can see cars coming in the opposite direction perfectly well without having to look at the screen.

Agreed happily forgo the visualisation for fixed car control icons - won't have the wow factor, but make it easier to use on the move

That said when stopped always liked rotating the car round with my finger - could never understand why the devs felt the need for you to look around the car, but I appreciate the work behind it

GeorgeSymonds

Mar 16, 2018
UK
Same. And that is with a new Tegra processor, which I had hoped would improve that sort of thing. It also now thinks my house is a bus.
I believe that just drives the display, the processing to work out if there’s a car there or not is the FSD computer which hasn’t changed.

Still disappointing though. I wonder if this is people getting ‘Tesla vision’ and the radar is not being used.

Reactions: Kenners

GeorgeSymonds

Mar 16, 2018
UK
All the hardware and software capability is there to provide a birds-eye view when parking which would be far more useful. Just stitch the camera images together.
I think it’s been shown that the cameras don’t point down for birdseye view, they point outwards. I know on our BMW that has birdseye the camera is in the bottom of the side mirror pointing straight down. If it can’t see the curb, I’d rather it didn’t guess and why auto park lines up between cars and not the curb.

I think it’s been shown that the cameras don’t point down for birdseye view, they point outwards. I know on our BMW that has birdseye the camera is in the bottom of the side mirror pointing straight down. If it can’t see the curb, I’d rather it didn’t guess and why auto park lines up between cars and not the curb.
This - there's also one on the nose of the BMW (between or integrated into the grilles) which also allows that top down view when you're coming up to a fixed object. It's one of the areas I expected the Tesla to be on par with or better than my X5 but sadly not. I also miss the reversing assistant.

GeorgeSymonds

Mar 16, 2018
UK
I don’t get why they couldn’t copy the reversing assistant, you’d think they could knock something like that up pretty quickly
It’s been talked about before, Tesla are agile and can potentially respond, but the elephant in the room for them is they rely on external sensors like cameras and a single screen (M3 and MY) to communicate visually. If they can’t capture the required info, or communicate with the driver (I think blind spot warning light in the side mirror was the previous example), they simply can’t do it. It’s getting a bit off topic for the specific release however

This is how they're going to be doing it, right? Elon said it'd be "Vector Space" using FSD
When you are nudging your pristine alloy wheel to within a few cm of a curb you need something better than this. It looks amazing but does it actually provide the same benefit as a camera pointing at the curb? I don't trust the parking system based on past experience of EAP which made it an even less beneficial I changed my car. I think you have to look past the graphics to work out what's really beneficial, a bit like traffic cones and wheelie bins look amazing but functionally are worth a lot less than the ability to read speed limit signs accurately. There is news however that the next version will be better on than front. Or maybe its the version after.. but coming soon anyway.

It’s been talked about before, Tesla are agile and can potentially respond, but the elephant in the room for them is they rely on external sensors like cameras and a single screen (M3 and MY) to communicate visually. If they can’t capture the required info, or communicate with the driver (I think blind spot warning light in the side mirror was the previous example), they simply can’t do it. It’s getting a bit off topic for the specific release however
But for the reversing assistant cameras and sensors are irrelevant because all it needs to do is remember the steering input and then play them back in reverse to get out of a parking space

But for the reversing assistant cameras and sensors are irrelevant because all it needs to do is remember the steering input and then play them back in reverse to get out of a parking space
Sounds logical, but what happens when something changes, like the parked car next to you leaves and another fills that space, but parks very close to you?

Reactions: starship42

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC