Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

16.3 visualisation - fewer vehicles detected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds logical, but what happens when something changes, like the parked car next to you leaves and another fills that space, but parks very close to you?
I think I've seen a video of it operation, if its the feature I think it is, and it uses the proximity sensors to stop you driving into things, it otherwise remembers the driving inputs and does them in reverse. BMWs and other cars actually put the brakes on to stop you having a low speed bump, it's a bit wierd but you can literally drive slowly towards a wall and the car will stop you when you're very close.

I think it’s been shown that the cameras don’t point down for birdseye view, they point outwards. I know on our BMW that has birdseye the camera is in the bottom of the side mirror pointing straight down. If it can’t see the curb, I’d rather it didn’t guess and why auto park lines up between cars and not the curb.
I'd like to see that for myself and therefore for Elon to let me access a live view of B pillar cameras if I wanted...
Also I understand there is a fair bit of image processing happening and that the cameras themselves have almost 180° field, so they could theoretically show the front and rear wheels in a specific mode. Let's call it 'alloy-friendly parking'...

I think I've seen a video of it operation, if its the feature I think it is, and it uses the proximity sensors to stop you driving into things, it otherwise remembers the driving inputs and does them in reverse. BMWs and other cars actually put the brakes on to stop you having a low speed bump, it's a bit wierd but you can literally drive slowly towards a wall and the car will stop you when you're very close.
It’s exactly this. You engage reverse as you normally would which brings on the cameras and parking sensors, but then select reversing assistant which performs your steering inputs in reverse. You still control speed and braking, and the car will disengage the auto-steering if it detects an object in your path. It won’t just blindly drive you into another vehicle, wheelie bin, etc that’s been moved in the time since you left the car. As I said, I do miss it for negotiating tight driveways and spaces.