Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

16 mi per day phantom drain, sitting in an airport. 2nd car on the same app the problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018X is sitting in a (covered) airport parking lot for the past 10 days. We peeked at it for the first time yesterday and the battery was way down.
Sentry mode is (and was) off. Car interior says 85deg, and interior climate control is off.
We've lost ~160miles of range in the past 10 days.

We won't pick it up for another 3 days, which would have it down to like 25 miles of range. Will it at some point get low enough to kick the car into a more power-savings mode?

I don't have Tezlab or TeslaFi, so I doubt that's the cause. We do have 2 Teslas. the other one is a 3, and hence the Tesla app is always active on my phone, although it's the 3, not the X, that's selected. Is it possible that just having the app running to use the 3 is waking it up?

Any other suggestions?

I also have a 3 and an X on the same account and having the Tesla app selected to the model 3 is not a problem. That will not keep the model X from sleeping.

How long have you had the X? Has it ever had this high of loss before? Is it MCU1 or MCU2?

It is dependent on several factors. Firmware version, outside temperature, state of your 12v battery, etc. Besides the Sentry mode, there is also the cabin over temp, and one or two other settings. My MX is at 2021.4.18.2 and has been parked in the garage at around 70 degrees for the past 12 days and has lost about 25% charge. I estimate this to be around 72 miles of range or 6 miles per day. I have had times when it was less than 1% per day. When I go through my garage (no keyfob around) I do sometimes hear pumps starting and stopping. I know that it will wake up enough to charge the 12v battery. My 12v is over 3 years old at this point. When parked for a long time I make sure those things are turned off, Car Left Open Notifications are turned off, and I go to Safety and press the Power Off button as I am getting out. Not sure if that last things helps or not. I do believe once you get below 20% charge it does go into a more power conservation mode.

One time last year when I was just going to be gone for a few weeks and didn't leave it plugged in, it dropped 86% in 30 days or about 8 miles a day. I only expected it to drop maybe 30%.

It is very unpredictable in my opinion.

I have a 2016X, and I've never seen that kind of % drop over time. IMO 16 miles of loss per day is completely unacceptable. 2-3 miles per day is about what I see. My car doesn't even have sentry mode (too old). And I don't have ANY third party apps using my car's data. I park my car in my garage at my house overnight with all windows and doors closed, and it loses very little energy between 4pm and 630am the next day. I lose more during the day when parked in the outdoor parking lot in the sun while I'm at work. If you're in a parking garage where the car has overhead cover, I would think your car would not be subject to the extreme heat that would require the overheat protection to kick on, but not sure. Depends on the temp inside that garage. If I were you, I would attempt to find the source of that 16 mi/day drain and turn it off.

I’m getting nervous here too. I have a 18 Model x parked at an airport and I left it there at 50% but I checked after 3 days yesterday and it’s now down to 30%! Any suggestions on what I should do to prepare in the event that it’s not drivable? I’ll be returning to the airport/car on Friday night so with my wife, 2 and 4 year old. Don’t want the kids to be stranded in the cold while figuring it out on the spot.

Cars don't drain to nothing. It will go to deep sleep and take a while to wake up when you come but it won't be at 0. Leave it alone -- don't check apps, revoke tokens if TeslaFi connected.

If it drops below 5%, you'll need to figure out J1772 or superchargers very nearby. If it is a parking garage, often there is 120V nearby and I would use the trickle charge if needed but this level of phantom drain is not normal. As someone stated earlier, 2-3 miles is typical for me (MCU1 or 2 -- this car has had both).

I will say that "always connected" didn't really drain that much when I have MCU1 as long as there was a nearby strong wifi. Once it was on LTE or (worse) constantly searching for a network signal then it started to lose 8-10 miles per day. Also a failing 12V will drain the main pack as the contactors will keep opening and closing and the main pack tops off the 12V.

Long story short, leave it alone. 30% of the battery is nothing to worry about but losing 20% parked is not normal.

Should I check any settings on the phone app to make sure nothing else is the problem? I know for sure sentry mode is on or do you recommend just leaving it completely alone? This is mcu 2 and the 12v was replaced probably within the last 12 months.

Should I check any settings on the phone app to make sure nothing else is the problem? I know for sure sentry mode is on or do you recommend just leaving it completely alone? This is mcu 2 and the 12v was replaced probably within the last 12 months.

Sentry will gobble energy. That's likely the issue. I think it will be fine until you arrive but Sentry and overheat protection will automatically disable at 20 percent SoC and the systems will progressively disable to curtail drain.

Best left alone to minimize losses.