Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'16 Volt or '?? Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been praying to get more time out of my 2002 Camry so that it'll last until I can take possession of the Tesla out there in the ether that has my name on it. I'm putting aside $200/mo (a little less than my old car payment was) to save up for the down payment.

Wait for what you REALLY want. You'll be more satisfied in the end. In my case, not having a Volt means all those ICE parts that won't need service.

I'm convinced that after the nuclear apocalypse, two things will be roaming the earth: Cockroaches and Toyotas. I have no doubt that as long as you properly maintain it, your car will last 'til 2019. :smile:

Yeah. I'm still torn. The shortest time I've ever owned a car has been 3 years. I kept my last car 7 years, and if I were to wait for the Model 3, I'd keep my current one 7 or 8 years. I know some people that change cars like underwear, but I'm not one of them. I have no doubts my current car will last until CY '19 (it's only a 2011 model), but then it'll be worth so little, it'll make a minimal difference on my down payment on what's likely to be a nearly $45,000 car. Whereas a 3 year-old Volt will still likely have a pretty decent resale.

Wow, desperate math. You'll eat loads of cash getting a Volt. Think of it as get a Volt if your car starts falling apart, or Tesla fails, and the Bolt and Leaf Two suck. Really, the Volt 2 should be a serious improvement all round on Gen 1, so it wouldn't be terrible to have it, but it's good to wait and save the cash. (2019 to replace my 2010 Prius, 2023 t8 replace 2013 Volt. Next car should be all electric ...

Wow, desperate math. You'll eat loads of cash getting a Volt. Think of it as get a Volt if your car starts falling apart, or Tesla fails, and the Bolt and Leaf Two suck. Really, the Volt 2 should be a serious improvement all round on Gen 1, so it wouldn't be terrible to have it, but it's good to wait and save the cash. (2019 to replace my 2010 Prius, 2023 t8 replace 2013 Volt. Next car should be all electric ...

You're probably right. Assuming $400/month x 36 months is $14,400, plus whatever down. Figure $3,000. So we're at $17,400. Right now, I have no monthly payment. Including insurance and gas, I'm probably at about $3,000 a year vs. $5,800 a year (NOT including insurance and gas) for the new Volt. So I'm thinking from a purely dollars and cents standpoint, I'm probably best off keeping my current car 'til the Model 3 comes out.

Also - as a car guy for decades, I can tell you - unless being "first on the block" with a new thing is your first priority, you should normally not buy a new model during its first year of production.

I've tended to equate this theory more for Microsoft Operating System releases, but not new cars after my experience buying my first brand new car. A 2008 Lancer. The only mechanical problem I've had was a worn serpentine belt slipping off after 220,000km. That was Mitsubishi's brand new body style. Mind you, you pay a bit of a premium for a Japanese, let alone a Mitsu, but if a car manufacturer has the warranties like Tesla and Mitsu have (Was 10 year 160,000km powertrain when I bought), you can feel safe getting a brand new, new-model car.

They put a LOT of effort into a QA. Just look at the X.

With that said, financially you're better off running your current ride until it dies, as others have said. Don't wish away the present.

Hi All. I'm debating whether or not to bite the bullet on a '16 Volt (which will be out in about a month) or hold out for the Model 3. Supposedly, a concept is going to be shown in March '16, which I could definitely wait that long for. For that matter, my current car will definitely last until mid-late CY '18, which is realistically when I think the Model 3 will be out, at the earliest. We also have about two years worth of payments left on my wife's Ford Escape. I like the idea of not having two car payments simultaneously. Is anyone else experiencing this angst?

I recommend that you lease the Volt and sell the lease when the Model 3 is available. I sold a lease on a Volt when I bought my Model S. Very easy to do. Just make sure you get the best deal you can on the Volt lease. GM dealers have a very bad habit of screwing lease holders.

I bought a used Volt last year. It was a 2012 with around 20k miles on it. Most of it was gas miles. The sale also included a 240v charger. I paid around $20k. New Volts are around $35 before federal/state benefits. The resale on these suck for some reason but I can't believe I don't actually see more people buying used Volts because of the low resale value. A used 2012/13 can easily compete with 2012 or newer ICE cars in terms of price and you don't have to worry about gas (usually). Yes, you don't get the credit but I'll take $15k off the cost for a used one vs $7500 + state money for a new one. I looked up a used 2012 yesterday and I saw a loaded one with around 20k miles for just under $18k. I'm really happy with my 2012 although, in a perfect world I could afford a Model S. Depending on your driving conditions, with a 2016 volt you could make over half of your 100 mile trip on electric. It would still take you weeks before you'd have to fill up your gas tank. My 2012 is supposed to get 37 miles but I actually get about 10 miles more than that on my daily commute.

Don't buy another depreciating asset until it's the one you really want.

Go ahead and total up all the expenses you'll encounter from now until mid 2018 if you were to buy a Volt or something else. Then compare them to the expenses of driving your current rides. Don't forget to factor in the depreciation on whatever 'new' thing you might get.

I was waiting for the Volt to come out because I thought that would be the perfect car for me. Then I heard about Tesla. I knew the Roadster and Model S were too expensive for me - but I heard about Project Bluestar, Phase Three, the Model E and now it's called the Model 3. I've been praying to get more time out of my 2002 Camry so that it'll last until I can take possession of the Tesla out there in the ether that has my name on it. I'm putting aside $200/mo (a little less than my old car payment was) to save up for the down payment.

Wait for what you REALLY want. You'll be more satisfied in the end. In my case, not having a Volt means all those ICE parts that won't need service.

But you're burning GASOLINE.

gasoline

oil refined in such a way as to destroy the atmosphere we're all breathing in all day long, every single day

Trade that beater Camry for a 2011 used Volt and join the electric revolution years earlier than waiting for the 3!

apologize for the unsolicited advice, couldn't help it...

- - - Updated - - -

but, but, I thought it's not about the money...

I own a Model S and two 2012 Volts. If I could, I would hold out for the Model 3. I drive both every week depending on how far I need to go. For the 16 mile commute days, I drive the Volt. The other days it's a 110 mile round trip and I drive the Tesla. When I bought my Volt, I thought it was the coolest thing to drive. Then we bought the Tesla. Now it's a let-down to drive the Volt, although in "Sport" mode it comes closer to the feeling of a Tesla.

Why PHEV? e-Golf beats the Volt in quality, once the 200mi Bolt comes out the Golf will have at least 180mi.

Be patient for another year, watch the Frankfurt Auto Salon in mid-September, there will be big BEV news.

Crash ratings on the e-Golf exceed the i3 by Euroncap detailed test reports, not the gag order watered
down version presented by safecar.gov.

Why PHEV? e-Golf beats the Volt in quality, once the 200mi Bolt comes out the Golf will have at least 180mi.

Be patient for another year, watch the Frankfurt Auto Salon in mid-September, there will be big BEV news.

Crash ratings on the e-Golf exceed the i3 by Euroncap detailed test reports, not the gag order watered
down version presented by safecar.gov.

Kandiru...with all due respect, I'm not of the mind Volkswagens are of inherently higher quality. I speak from experience. Granted, not an EV, but a Golf nonetheless. My first Golf experience was negative enough to make me think twice about getting another. I would probably buy a Bolt or even a Soul EV over an e-Golf.

I guess I'm lucky to be able/planning to wait until 2018/2019 and able to consider a Model S or 3. I currently have an Audi A6 with only 43K miles on it. One year in and out of the hospital has kept mileage low. If I wait 3 years I'll still have less than 100K miles on the Audi.

I really love the Model S...but I'll be able to look at the Model 3. A 300+ mile battery is really a must have. Does anyone have Model 3 pictures?

FYI, there are a bunch of "first drive" reviews of the 2016 Volt today now that a news "embargo" has expired.

In particular, the MotorTrend review has track numbers. As they explain in the article, they screwed up and didn't have time to fully charge the car for EV-only testing but in hybrid mode they did 0-30 mph in 2.2 seconds and 0-60 in 7.1 seconds.

Their 2013 review of the Model S85 lists 0-30 in 2.3 seconds and 0-60 in 5.0 seconds as a contrast.

GM claims 0-30 in 2.6 seconds and 0-60 in 8.4 seconds in EV mode but MT's numbers generally tend to be a little better than GM's claims for various cars, I think.

2016 Chevrolet Volt First Test Review - Motor Trend

Nobody has pictures of the Tesla Model 3. The reveal is supposed to be Q1 of 2016. You should expect absolutely zero official information until Tesla formally introduces the world to their new electric wonder-mobile.
I'll go one step further and add that any pictures you see, here or anywhere else on the web, that purport to be of the Model 3 are fake or artists renderings/concepts.

It drives me nuts every time one of those gets posted. I get all excited thinking it's the real thing, only to be let down... :redface:

I leased an i3 for 2 years waiting for the model 3, I'll have to figure something out to cross the gap. The only reason I did this is because we absolutely needed a car. It has allowed us to do 50% or more
of our miles via EV, I plan to be all EV by the time the model 3 comes out (I have 8kw solar to charge also). I would recommend the OP keep the current car and save money toward model 3 and here is why: First, financially it makes the most sense. I don't get the thought process that the current car will be worth less therefore the OP is losing money, new car value gets crushed year 1 so the losses will be bigger on a new car.

2nd, I'm all for everyone driving EV ASAP. However, it's not like the old ice is going to be driven to the crusher the day you trade it in, someone else will be feeding it gas for another 10-20 years, so this reasoning is ridiculous. If you do get something else before model 3 I highly suspect you will regret it both financially and emotionally.

Well, I started riding my e-Bike to work (see thread here). So that's saving me on gas several days a week. The Volt looks appealing, and those performance figures are very respectable for what it is. I think at this point, I'm going to wait for the March reveal, and make my decision then. If he's promising the Model 3 by Fall '17 at this point, that's close enough that I think I'd be willing to wait.

Of those choices, easy decision....BOTH. Lease a Volt for the standard 3 year lease, which carries you to 2018. Then extend it for 6-12 months which carries you into 2019. Tesla said Model 3 by 2017, so that means maybe, just maybe, by 2019, it will be ready. Volt looks to be a great car. Unless you do a lot of travelling long distance, likely will never use gas in the new version. And if you have a long trip and can't afford a Model S, then at least you still have the ability to take it long distances. Certainly is the best small car option on the market for those that want range and EV capabilities. Model 3 should allow the $30,000 - $35,000 market go EV only with longer range than any EV currently offered in that price range.

but, but, I thought it's not about the money...

LOL.

There is both truth and irony in my alias, which primarily meant that "I didn't buy a Prius to save money". At the time I just figured that fuel savings would wipe out a lot of the premium, so I could buy it. However, I am not one recklessly to spend money on "fun".

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I started riding my e-Bike to work (see thread here). So that's saving me on gas several days a week. The Volt looks appealing, and those performance figures are very respectable for what it is. I think at this point, I'm going to wait for the March reveal, and make my decision then. If he's promising the Model 3 by Fall '17 at this point, that's close enough that I think I'd be willing to wait.

Would you _really_ believe Elon Musk if he said today that the Model 3 would be released in Fall 2017?