Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'16 Volt or '?? Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes the slow L2 charging is annoying. They didn't fix that with the 2016 either. Hopefully they at least bump it to 6.6 with the 2017.

The 16.5 kWh battery is good enough for me. 70% electric over two years. Still nothing else on the market at any price that could do what that car has done.

I know production will be a little limited but I would bet that as soon as the Model 3 is released, a LOT of [B|V]olts will flood the market from people ditching for the Model 3. I test drove the 2015 Volt, and it was great, but the 2016 will be better. The rear legroom was a deal-breaker for me, so we'll see how the 2016 is.

I'm kind of in the same boat though. I've got a 2008 Lancer that just refuses to break down, so I'm presumably driving that until the Model 3 comes out, even though I love the thought of running on the Voltec.
First post here, (i've been trolling for a few weeks now) I wanted to say that I'm in the same boat as you doubled...2008 Lancer that I bought brand new in 2007 - really has been a great car with almost no maintenance despite being 8 years old. Man I got so many head turns in that car back in 2007!

Anyway I'm expecting it'll hold out until the model 3 in 2018, most of the depreciation has already happened and I still like the car.

On a related note, you mentioned rear legroom. I've got two growing kids and I'm really hoping the rear leg room on the model 3 is better than on my Lancer.

- - - Updated - - -

I own a Model S and two 2012 Volts. If I could, I would hold out for the Model 3. I drive both every week depending on how far I need to go. For the 16 mile commute days, I drive the Volt. The other days it's a 110 mile round trip and I drive the Tesla. When I bought my Volt, I thought it was the coolest thing to drive. Then we bought the Tesla. Now it's a let-down to drive the Volt, although in "Sport" mode it comes closer to the feeling of a Tesla.

Just curious why you're keeping the "extra" volt and not driving the tesla all the time? Is there something about shorter commute trips that makes the Tesla less desirable to drive than the volt?

Is there something about shorter commute trips that makes the Tesla less desirable to drive than the volt?
I can't speak for anybody but myself, but for me there's no reason not to drive the Tesla whether the commute is short or far. The Tesla is equally fantastic for both short and long drives whether it's to the corner store or the other side of the state for work.

I really don't understand why Dan would drive the Volt while stating that it's a let-down after driving the Tesla. Makes no sense to me, but I'm not in his shoes.

Saw two 2016 Volts @ State Fair of Texas yesterday.
Slight improvement in visual aesthetics, no more interior room (still a four seater).
Rated miles in electric mode is now 53 miles, up from 38.

So do you have the patience to wait until end of 2017, beginning of 2018 for a Model 3, go with a 2013/14 Volt coming off a Lease, or get a new 2016 Volt?

Slight improvement in visual aesthetics, no more interior room (still a four seater).

So do you have the patience to wait until end of 2017, beginning of 2018 for a Model 3, go with a 2013/14 Volt coming off a Lease, or get a new 2016 Volt?

I think I'm patient enough to wait until late '17 for the model 3. I may (may) buy a van or pickup in the meantime for a startup business I'm thinking of launching, but not at the purchase stage yet.

Auto-blog posted a 1st drive review of the 2016 Volt earlier today, the reviewer came away very impressed. Although to me most features came short of what we're expecting in the model 3 - That being said, one's hypothetical and one's ready to drive now. 2016 Chevrolet Volt first drive
I was at the same media event and drove a silver 2016 Volt. I agree with the AutoBlog reviewer that the Volt was a terrific drive.

I was at the same media event and drove a silver 2016 Volt. I agree with the AutoBlog reviewer that the Volt was a terrific drive.
to clarify, is the reason its a terrific drive because its electric, or other features. I love the electric portion of my Volt, and cannot wait to get rid of it, because it uses gas "even when the battery is full, it's almost empty" 18,000+ miles

to clarify, is the reason its a terrific drive because its electric, or other features. I love the electric portion of my Volt, and cannot wait to get rid of it, because it uses gas "even when the battery is full, it's almost empty" 18,000+ miles
Of course, the new Volt is still a PHEV (and EREV) so it has a battery much smaller than you will find in a Tesla vehicle. It's now 53 miles of EPA range but considering that you can use all of that range without worrying about getting stuck on the side of the road it's equivalent to something more like 63 (no need to reserve a buffer to guarantee range). That's getting close to the range of some of the smaller battery BEVs. Most people drive less than 53 miles a routine day and more if you charge at work, for example. Based on existing Volt usage which is visible to them via OnStar records, GM figures about 90% of days will be gas free. That's a huge reduction in ICE and gas usage.

It's not gas-free but that won't work for everyone instantly with today's charging infrastructure and battery prices. Plus, many ordinary folks may find a car like the Volt is a useful transition stage to driving a BEV. For them, a Volt is somewhat like a Tesla or Bolt with training wheels. It sounds like that was true for you?

Volt-like cars are part of the solution. People should want to buy and drive them rather than feel they should or must drive a penalty box. The old Volt met many of those goals and the new one is even better. It's quicker, more efficient, and really a terrific compact commuter car that has flexible hatchback storage and is ready at any time for a long road trip. The new Volt drives better around curvy mountain roads due to 250 pounds less weight, somewhat better weight distribution balance and lower center of gravity, and good all-around LRR Michelin tires. When it must start up, the ICE is a lot quieter and and has a more pleasant sound. And Apple CarPlay with Android Auto coming as an update next spring. I liked it a lot. Nonetheless, as an existing Volt owner, I personally plan to make my Volt a secondary car and get a Model 3 when it comes out in the near future.

Of course, the new Volt is still a PHEV (and EREV) so it has a battery much smaller than you will find in a Tesla vehicle. It's now 53 miles of EPA range but considering that you can use all of that range without worrying about getting stuck on the side of the road it's equivalent to something more like 63 (no need to reserve a buffer to guarantee range). That's getting close to the range of some of the smaller battery BEVs. Most people drive less than 53 miles a routine day and more if you charge at work, for example. Based on existing Volt usage which is visible to them via OnStar records, GM figures about 90% of days will be gas free. That's a huge reduction in ICE and gas usage.

It's not gas-free but that won't work for everyone instantly with today's charging infrastructure and battery prices. Plus, many ordinary folks may find a car like the Volt is a useful transition stage to driving a BEV. For them, a Volt is somewhat like a Tesla or Bolt with training wheels. It sounds like that was true for you?

Volt-like cars are part of the solution. People should want to buy and drive them rather than feel they should or must drive a penalty box. The old Volt met many of those goals and the new one is even better. It's quicker, more efficient, and really a terrific compact commuter car that has flexible hatchback storage and is ready at any time for a long road trip. The new Volt drives better around curvy mountain roads due to 250 pounds less weight, somewhat better weight distribution balance and lower center of gravity, and good all-around LRR Michelin tires. When it must start up, the ICE is a lot quieter and and has a more pleasant sound. And Apple CarPlay with Android Auto coming as an update next spring. I liked it a lot. Nonetheless, as an existing Volt owner, I personally plan to make my Volt a secondary car and get a Model 3 when it comes out in the near future.

'near future'

Here now and just left the car buildings. Impressed with the look of the '16 model in person vs. The first one. Still don't like its only 53 miles, CMON GM.....heard several people say it was all electric to each other and so I politely corrected them :)