Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

160 miles on charge 92%-4%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2019 SR+. I made a trip from Knoxville TN to Kingsland GA. Round trip. Averaged efficiently was 260ish. My speeds were 70-75 mph. A/C set on 71 degrees. Two people in the car. Here is an example of the problem. All other charges were similar. I charged up in Columbia SC to 92% and barely made it to Asheville NC. I arrived at 4%. it was 158 miles. This is pretty much the distance my car can go. I do remember the last time I made the same trip I could go farther. I don't remember the exact stats for earlier trips.

My car has 25,215 miles on it, Would you say I have an issue? is this normal? Thanks a million.

2019 SR+. I made a trip from Knoxville TN to Kingsland GA. Round trip. Averaged efficiently was 260ish. My speeds were 70-75 mph. A/C set on 71 degrees. Two people in the car. Here is an example of the problem. All other charges were similar. I charged up in Columbia SC to 92% and barely made it to Asheville NC. I arrived at 4%. it was 158 miles. This is pretty much the distance my car can go. I do remember the last time I made the same trip I could go farther. I don't remember the exact stats for earlier trips.

My car has 25,215 miles on it, Would you say I have an issue? is this normal? Thanks a million.
I think your car is fine. Differences in weather and traffic can impact your range by buy a huge amount.

For example, if last time you had a 15 MPH tailwind and this time you had a 15MPH headwind, the friction from air resistance would be more than double what it was last time. (70+15)^2/(70-15)^2 = 2.38 times more air resistance.

The same thing was true with your MPG in the gas car, you just never paid attention to it.

In my experience that is not normal, but can come with plenty of normal reasons.

At the same speeds, I get closer to rated efficiency in the AWD (which is less efficient!) which is about 227Wh/mi. You're off that by about 15%.

Please check for...
  1. Even tire wear. If a tire is wearing more on one side of it or is wearing more than the others, you might have an alignment issue which also reduces efficiency.
  2. Correct tire pressures, but when tires are cold (not after driving, not of over side was facing the sun)
  3. Anything else you may not have mentioned (roof racks, hitches with bikes, rain, etc.)
But the most likely answer is you had a headwind.

A month or so after my wife got her SR+ in Dec 19, I did a 100-6% range test and got about 165 miles.

the last few weeks I have been doing quite a bit of wh/mile testing, and found the HVAC does make a difference and so does speed. I can go from 215wh/mile to 260-290wh/mile just driving 80mph to keep up with traffic and running the HVAC in 100 degree weather.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
That's about right based on my experience with my SR+. 160-170 miles @ 65-70 mph, and it was usually 140-150 miles at 80mph.

To help maximize range, I made sure tires were inflated to 42psi and I used the aero hub caps on long trips.

Edit: my consumption usually hovered between 235-250 Wh/mi, depending on load, with speeds 70 mph or less. It was 250 Wh/mi for speeds 75 mph and higher.

260Wh/mi seems normal for 75mph driving. It goes up if it's really windy, i've had it go up to 350 for really bad weather.

I have to say Elon is right. 300miles is the new standard for EVs. No point with anything lower than that, since everything can cut down on that range.

Well done. You've solved the case. I'm a little ashamed I didn't catch this :p

It's a nearly 2000ft elevation difference. 260Wh/mi on that is actually very very reasonable.

Except...260 Wh/mi consumption stated was for the round trip, not just from Kingsland, GA to Knoxville, TN. OP mentioned “all charges were similar” to the Columbia to Asheville stint... which was likely even higher around 270-290 Wh/mi.

240-260 is normal for an SR+ when loaded and going interstate speeds. I’ve averaged 250 Wh/mi from Atlanta, GA to Orlando, FL traveling at 75 mph fully loaded.

Ah, I think this is another one of those examples of how the "Beta Trip Planner" is a horrible pile of $#it and screws over new owners who don't know not to trust it. It seems that it was programmed with the parameter of FEWEST STOPS and all else be damned. If it thinks it's just barely possible, that's what it will recommend, even if it's skipping Superchargers and stressing you out. So it frequently recommends awful things like the example you gave:

Here is an example of the problem. All other charges were similar. I charged up in Columbia SC to 92% and barely made it to Asheville NC. I arrived at 4%. it was 158 miles.
And here's the thing it does that is utter B.S. When it comes up with a recommendation of what Superchargers it thinks you should use, it HIDES the others in between!! That's just evil. I'm always a little bit skeptical of any routes in the lower 48 states really not being doable now, so I checked this segment. Yep, sure enough:

(Arrgghh. Errors uploading my map picture in either jpg or png. Oh well.)

Columbia to Asheville does not have to be a straight through with no charging. You can go right through the Greenville Supercharger right there in the middle, so this is easily doable. I'm sure the car hid that from you, though. So if the car is trying to recommend some terrible charging strategy of going above 90% and arriving with a single digit %, that's generally nonsense, and I would cancel the navigation route and just display the map of Superchargers to see what it's not showing me.

Thanks for all the replies. I will be making this trip a lot more in the future. I will not be able to make it in the winter. I guess I rent an ICE for winter trips.
So for this route at least, no, you wouldn't need to use a gas car. It's easily covered with closely spaced Superchargers and no really long gaps. I'm sorry you had to discover this this way, but it's good to know about this bad software design for next time.

• Informative
Reactions: pjensen
Ah, I think this is another one of those examples of how the "Beta Trip Planner" is a horrible pile of $#it and screws over new owners who don't know not to trust it. It seems that it was programmed with the parameter of FEWEST STOPS and all else be damned. So it frequently recommends awful things like the example you gave:

And here's the thing it does that is utter B.S. When it comes up with a recommendation of what Superchargers it thinks you should use, it HIDES the others in between!! That's just evil. I'm always a little bit skeptical of any routes in the lower 48 states really not being doable now, so I checked this segment. Yep, sure enough:

Columbia to Asheville does not have to be a straight through with no charging. You can go right through the Greenville Supercharger right there in the middle, so this is easily doable. I'm sure the car hid that from you, though. So if the car is trying to recommend some terrible charging strategy of going above 90% and arriving with a single digit %, that's generally nonsense, and I would cancel the navigation route and just display the map of Superchargers to see what it's not showing me.

So for this route at least, no, you wouldn't need to use a gas car. It's easily covered with closely spaced Superchargers and no really long gaps. I'm sorry you had to discover this this way, but it's good to know about this bad software design for next time.

I am going to guess that this OPs question / concern isnt "Where can I stop to charge" but more along the lines of all the other "Why isnt my car getting rated range" threads. I say this because OP makes a point of saying that his car only gets "160 miles on a charge" in the opening statement (when driving 75 with people and items in the car, uphill).

So, I believe OPs actual "concern" is "My car isnt working correctly because I am only getting 160 miles on a full charge!" (based on this and other similar posts OP has made about being "disappointed with the range").

Except...260 Wh/mi consumption stated was for the round trip, not just from Kingsland, GA to Knoxville, TN. OP mentioned “all charges were similar” to the Columbia to Asheville stint... which was likely even higher around 270-290 Wh/mi.

240-260 is normal for an SR+ when loaded and going interstate speeds. I’ve averaged 250 Wh/mi from Atlanta, GA to Orlando, FL traveling at 75 mph fully loaded.

Hmm. Ok. Fair point. Unfortunately we lack further details, so I'll have to continue blaming the wind (which I think is a fair thing at this point).

Thanks for all the replies. I will be making this trip a lot more in the future. I will not be able to make it in the winter. I guess I rent an ICE for winter trips.

I plugged your route with winter conditions (32F, snowing) into ABetterRoutePlanner.com. It's fantastic for Winter route planning and route planning in general, but you do need to adjust the settings (it's part of what makes it "better", the fact you can adjust things like temperature and weight).

You can absolutely make that trip but you need to take a different route. Like @Rocky_H pointed out, you can also stop in Greenville but this is a bit too long of a stretch even in winter. Instead, if you take the route via Atlanta, there are better-placed chargers on the route and you can have a comfortable amount of range left at each stop, even in Winter.

Now, whether or not you want to go that way is another thing. But it is both faster and less anxious with the Tesla due to the charging availability.

Ah, I think this is another one of those examples of how the "Beta Trip Planner" is a horrible pile of $#it and screws over new owners who don't know not to trust it. It seems that it was programmed with the parameter of FEWEST STOPS and all else be damned. If it thinks it's just barely possible, that's what it will recommend, even if it's skipping Superchargers and stressing you out. So it frequently recommends awful things like the example you gave:

I don't know if I've ever agreed with a post more. My problem hasn't been the technical ability of the EV to make the trip (well, sometimes), but discovering the path and charging stops. The Tesla route planner is not just not ideal, it's far from ideal and can leave you stranded in winter (I had the CHAdeMO adapter, which I had to use twice to travel a leg between Supercharger the car actively said it could make) due to these minimised-stops decisions.

Tesla really needs to work on that for common adoption. ABRP is great, but still fussy and complicated and just way more effort than driving a gas car.

I am going to guess that this OPs question / concern isnt "Where can I stop to charge" but more along the lines of all the other "Why isnt my car getting rated range" threads. I say this because OP makes a point of saying that his car only gets "160 miles on a charge" in the opening statement (when driving 75 with people and items in the car, uphill).

So, I believe OPs actual "concern" is "My car isnt working correctly because I am only getting 160 miles on a full charge!" (based on this and other similar posts OP has made about being "disappointed with the range").

All the same, it's a fair criticism of range marketing of EVs in general. The max range is not practically achievable unless you charge to 100% overnight (too slow otherwise) and perfectly line up with a charge station at 0% (incredibly unlikely). 260Wh/mi vs. the ~200 they're rated to get is indeed the larger problem, but unlike a gas car this efficiency-per-distance number is not the primarily displayed EPA/rating agency number, so they don't have any sort of feedback on 260 being a "bad", "expected", or "really good" efficiency. What some of the agency websites and data do show if you look it up are confusing, because they're "AC" numbers which include charging losses (good for calculating total cost of running it, but doesn't match the car's efficiency during travel! [which would be "DC" efficiency]).

Last edited:
Im done commenting about range in general... I was just making the point that I didnt believe that this OPs issue was "I cant make it there", but more "I am disappointed with the range" As to how valid that is or not, I am done with that discussion (lol).

I had my car before this Beta Trip Planner thing, so I was used to just targeting the next stop that looked right and seeing the estimates for myself, and also it was a year and a half before I could even get to any Superchargers. So my mindset has always been to see these as adventures and to be looking for what solutions are available to make it work, rather than complaining that it doesn't work.

Reactions: jjrandorin