Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

160mi Daily Commute. Ok to charge 90% everyday?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As you see, there are so many answers. By the numbers, the closest you can be at 50% is ideal however it does not offer any usable range. Tesla came out years ago and mention 90% daily use is just fine. Then it was changed to 80%. I say charge to what you need and drive the car. I feel you are correct, below 20% is not as good as charging daily to 90. I have seen our Model Y yell at me when I've consecutively charged over 90%.
Congratulations on the new MYP. I bet you're having a blast. I love our LR. I can only imagine the fun in the P.

This is a great post and replies. MYP expected end of month (My first Tesla!). When I work at my main hosptial I have a 150mi roundtrip commute. On non-work days I’ll probably charge to 80% and on long-commute days probably 90%, after reading everything here. Fortunately the hospital has 2 free Tesla chargers. If those are available I’ll use them but I would not want to charge below 90% and count on those being unoccupied and then stress about the drive home as this is a pretty rural commute. I‘m assuming that I can drive 75-80mph with slightly spirited driving while blasting AC over those 150 miles and be fine as long as I start the drive at 90%. Hope that is realistic.

This is a great post and replies. MYP expected end of month (My first Tesla!). When I work at my main hosptial I have a 150mi roundtrip commute. On non-work days I’ll probably charge to 80% and on long-commute days probably 90%, after reading everything here. Fortunately the hospital has 2 free Tesla chargers. If those are available I’ll use them but I would not want to charge below 90% and count on those being unoccupied and then stress about the drive home as this is a pretty rural commute. I‘m assuming that I can drive 75-80mph with slightly spirited driving while blasting AC over those 150 miles and be fine as long as I start the drive at 90%. Hope that is realistic.
The question will be if you intend to run sentry mode at the hospital while your working?

Y
You should be able to drive 150 miles in your PMY but winter temperatures and road conditions will noticeably impact your range.

You are going to have to swap the Pirelli P Zero (PZ4) summer tires for all-season/all-weather/winter tires not long after you receive your PMY.

Reactions: Jbapckfan
Y

You should be able to drive 150 miles in your PMY but winter temperatures and road conditions will noticeably impact your range.

You are going to have to swap the Pirelli P Zero (PZ4) summer tires for all-season/all-weather/winter tires not long after you receive your PMY.
Yeah, prefer to get good all season/winter tires over new wheel/tire set but there don’t seem to be many 21” choices.

The w
Thanks for the tire info. It can be frustrating when you go to tirerack or similar and see zero results for the 21” when you search by vehicle.
The winter wheel and tire packages offered by Tesla (these seem to be perpertually out of stock) , TireRack, Discount Tire are popular. Many choose 19" or even 18" aftermarket wheels and winter tires. If you have room to store the Uberturbine wheels when not being used then a second set of wheels with winter tires that can be swapped in minutes (Tesla Mobile Service will perform this service at your home location) is certainly convenient.

In the model 3 forum that I moderate here, we have a master thread that is over 100 pages (not posts, pages) long, on this subject. Boiling it down at a (very) high level, because of the way battery chemistry works, it will be "better" to charge it to 80% than 90% for battery longevity.

YOU have a hundred pages on batteries

WE have twenty five pages on mudflaps !

🤡

I’ve never heard of Telle Tire but yes it looks like they go by KC Complete Auto Service and have several locations in the KC area.
I mention them because I use them. If you buy tires from them they offer free rotations and a protection plan ( I’ve already had one tire replaced). Here in STL my local Telle also offer a winter/summer swap. Basically they store the wheels/tires/lugs your currently not using and then swap thru the seasons. Keeps me from having to store rims at home. Just a thought if you want to run dedicated snow tires and summer tires.

Reactions: Jbapckfan
I’ve never heard of Telle Tire but yes it looks like they go by KC Complete Auto Service and have several locations in the KC area.
Also their tires were actually cheaper than discount tire & tire rack when I was shopping. I’m about ready to buy my Sottozero 2s from them once Perelli ships them out. Won’t be long before it is time to put the summer tires away.

I mention them because I use them. If you buy tires from them they offer free rotations and a protection plan ( I’ve already had one tire replaced). Here in STL my local Telle also offer a winter/summer swap. Basically they store the wheels/tires/lugs your currently not using and then swap thru the seasons. Keeps me from having to store rims at home. Just a thought if you want to run dedicated snow tires and summer tires.
That sounds great, appreciate it. Would rather avoid buying another set of wheels but understand why many do.