Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

165k Miles Battery Degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Download powertools for ios, login, accelerate to 60 when charged at 90% and just after charging so your battery isn't too cold.

If you see anything near 320KW, you're car is making power fine. I can't tell you how many times in the past I thought some car of mine was making less power than it used to only to check it with an accelerometer only to discover it was all in my head. That said, you're probably down some power after 165K miles. I'm down 15KW after 85K miles.

Check your alignment if you haven't already as that can be a huge contributor to high wh/mile readings.

Your rated range displayed is EXCELLENT for 165K miles!!!

I couldn't find powertools (possibly because I'm on Android) but I did find an app called "Drag Racer" and just did a few 0-60 test runs with it. My BEST time was 7.6 seconds 0-60. My cars SoC was 90% and the battery was cold. 7.6 seconds is a hair faster than a Honda Fit EX which can do 0-60 in 7.8 seconds.

Something definitely wrong. My Tesla mobile tech appointment is in two hours. Ill show him the results and see what he thinks

Screenshot_20190403-122221_Gallery.jpg

maybe it was a Fit EV.;)

I lol'd when I read that haha.

I looked up the 0-60 for the Fit EV and its 8.6 seconds.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
You need an iOS device for powertools so you can read EXACTLY what the car is reporting on power usage.
If you have or make a canbus connector and buy an ELM327 bluetooth dongle, you can get TM-SPY for Android and read the voltage/amperage directly off the canbus which is even better than only kw power from Tesla's service.

Anything else is useless unless you have a professional grade performance meter. A phone app ain't going to do it. It could be off by seconds.

The mobile service tech just left. We did a test drive and he said "it should be better than this" but didn't see any errors in the computer to explain why its so slow. He advised that I schedule an appointment to take the car in to a service center. So I called the service center and scheduled their next available appointment for May 1st. We'll see what they find out.

Ok, I did a few 0-60 runs using the "Powertools for Tesla" app and here's what I got:

In all the runs my power varied between 295kW and 302kW and never went up past 302kW.

For some reason the app won't register a 0-60 time. When it does register a 0-60 time it says "-158804.."

Because of this I ran the Drag Racer app on my android on the last few runs I it recorded that I never got below 7.6 seconds 0-60 time.

I started the runs at 94% SoC and the battery was warm.

I'm at a supercharger now charging to 100% And I'm going to try again from a 100% SoC.

Yea, I've gotten my under body caught on a lot of those parking bumps too.

The acceleration issue is harder for me to quantify because I don't have any data from when I first bought the car to compare it to. But it certainly "feels" slower. I think the 0-60 time for my car was advertised as 5.4 seconds. Right now I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the 6 to 7 second range.

I say that because a Honda Fit almost overtook me at a light yesterday. I needed to get in front of him to make a turn that was coming up and he needed to get in front of the person next to him to get on the freeway. So when the light turned green we both floored it and for a second it looked like he was going to overtake me. I eventually pulled ahead (or he braked because he had enough room to get over) but it was pathetic. My $100k car (when it was new) is now barely able to overtake a $16k commuters car?? Somethings wrong.

I have a mobile tech coming out to look at my car on Wednesday and plan to bring it up then.
My guess is that Fit must've not been stock?? o_O

EDIT: NM. Read the rest of the thread... Yea something isn't right. Hopefully it's something simple... parking brake not releasing all the way or something

Ok, I did a few 0-60 runs using the "Powertools for Tesla" app and here's what I got:

In all the runs my power varied between 295kW and 302kW and never went up past 302kW.

For some reason the app won't register a 0-60 time. When it does register a 0-60 time it says "-158804.."

Because of this I ran the Drag Racer app on my android on the last few runs I it recorded that I never got below 7.6 seconds 0-60 time.

I started the runs at 94% SoC and the battery was warm.

I'm at a supercharger now charging to 100% And I'm going to try again from a 100% SoC.

Try not to charge to 100%. It isn't really necessary and it's not good for the battery. Only do it if you need the range for a specific leg of a long trip.

Also, the supercharger won't charge any faster than your home charger past 96% or so.

Also, if your battery isn't warm, 300KW is just fine. Charge to 93% and go out and do a 8 0-60 runs and measure your power on the last one when you're about 90%.

The reality is even if your battery was optimal temperature, 302KW for 165K miles is pretty amazing. That's still 404 hp.

I wouldn't trust any phone based performance app. They can be wildly wrong.

However, what would provide more data that we can look at here is if you could export your powertools 302KW max power run. I'd like to see what the speed and power curve look like compared to the graph above that I posted of an S85.

• Disagree
Reactions: dhrivnak and IdaX
I think its software related. The mobile tech said he didn't see any errors but agreed that it was underpowered after driving it. He mentioned that it was possible something wasn't done right when my car was put back together at its last service appointment (my onbored chargers were just replaced). Although I dont see how chargers could effect performance.

I agree that the app isnt going to be perfect but it will be within a margin of error. Otherwise no one would use it. If I was getting 5.7's then id chalk it up to the app. But after multiple 0-60 runs at varying different SoC's and battery temperature conditions the best I could get was 7.6 seconds.

I did 4 or 5 runs at 94%-90% SoC so I'll go back and do 8 consecutive ones and upload the data here. The powertools app still isnt registering 0-60 times though. Not sure why

This has been an enlightening thread as my 2013 S85 with 98,499mi on it also isn’t quite as quick as it was in its early years.

As a comparison, these days my 90% SOC is 226 and my 100% is about 250-251. When I took delivery in 2013 I got 267 at 100% and 240 at 90%.

I’m encouraged to hear sbout an S with well over 150K miles. I’ll get there eventually though hope to sell my S and replace it with a Performance S, 3, or even Y in about 12-18 months. Whatever I get it’ll be Performance. Good chance a Y.

@IdaX, rather than hide in the shadow of a diagree, why don't you state what you disagree with? Everything in my post is commonly accepted knowledge about charging practices? Or maybe you disagree with my statement that 302KW is a still a decent number for 165K miles?

I think its software related. The mobile tech said he didn't see any errors but agreed that it was underpowered after driving it. He mentioned that it was possible something wasn't done right when my car was put back together at its last service appointment (my onbored chargers were just replaced). Although I dont see how chargers could effect performance.

I agree that the app isnt going to be perfect but it will be within a margin of error. Otherwise no one would use it. If I was getting 5.7's then id chalk it up to the app. But after multiple 0-60 runs at varying different SoC's and battery temperature conditions the best I could get was 7.6 seconds.

I did 4 or 5 runs at 94%-90% SoC so I'll go back and do 8 consecutive ones and upload the data here. The powertools app still isnt registering 0-60 times though. Not sure why

This is why you should post a graph of your power curve from Powertools so we know if they changed the power curve which you wouldn't know from just looking at peak power.

@IdaX, rather than hide in the shadow of a diagree, why don't you state what you disagree with? Everything in my post is commonly accepted knowledge about charging practices? Or maybe you disagree with my statement that 302KW is a still a decent number for 165K miles?
Try not to charge to 100%. It isn't really necessary and it's not good for the battery. Only do it if you need the range for a specific leg of a long trip.

That’s what I disagree with. You should charge to 100% whnever you want, for whatever reason. Just don’t do it every day by default. Not only won’t it adversely affect the battery to do so, NOT charging to 100% a handful of times a year will unbalance the battery modules and weird out your software calibration. Go ahead, charge to 100%!

See The Rules of Model S Road Tripping, Rule 1.

Reactions: camthehombre
That’s what I disagree with. You should charge to 100% whnever you want, for whatever reason. Just don’t do it every day by default. Not only won’t it adversely affect the battery to do so, NOT charging to 100% a handful of times a year will unbalance the battery modules and weird out your software calibration. Go ahead, charge to 100%!

See The Rules of Model S Road Tripping, Rule 1.

Agreed. Didn't I say that?

Only do it if you need the range for a specific leg of a long trip.

Also, you don't need to charge to 100% to balance the battery. The BMS will do it as long as you hit 93%

And FYI, I state about 10 different things in that post. It's far more useful to state line item which things you disagree with rather than blanket downvote the entire post. You'll service the community far better by being constructive.

Last edited: