Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

165k Miles Battery Degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, you said that. I didn't. I said charge to 100% whenever you want for any reason.

We disagree there. You should only charge to 100% when you need the range or THINK you'll need the range. Charging to 100% accelerates degradation. That is a fact. It's also a fact that if you do, you should attempt to time it so that it hits 100% fright before you leave. Leaving a lithium ion battery at 100% for long periods is even worse than hitting 100% in the first place.

This is why you should post a graph of your power curve from Powertools so we know if they changed the power curve which you wouldn't know from just looking at peak power.

I will, just can't do the testing this weekend. On Monday or Tuesday I'll do the charge to 94% and 8 0-60 runs with powertools and post the results.

As far as the other comments, I only charge to 100% when I need to. Unfortunately, for me that's more often than I would like because of my work but I don't do it unless I have to. I charge to 90% daily and that tends to be enough for my needs.

aaaaand that’s why I clicked ‘disagree’ on your post; didn’t think it needed this long discussion...

Charging to 100% and leaving it there will definitely increase dendrite formation. It won't affect you noticeably for maybe years, but in two to three years you begin to see it. There has been a vast amount written about it on these Pages as well as all over the web. Don't charge your lithium ion battery to 100% and leave it there, always leads to advance degradation. It's one of the more proven facts.

The theory is that the higher voltage leads to quicker formation of these energy sapping deformities in the chemistry.

Reactions: sorka
Also, you don't need to charge to 100% to balance the battery. The BMS will do it as long as you hit 93%

Actually 90% is just fine. According to Jason the BMS measures the balancing once the cells reach constant voltage charging. If you look at the voltage during charging you can see that happens under 90%. The cells reach that level clearly below 90% state of charge.

My car has 205k miles (5 years old) and the cells are as well balanced as it gets. Usually around 3-4 mV. I have spend many months never charging the car more than 80%. The cells stayed in balance just fine. This makes me believe that the BMS has not just one, but several ways to measuring balancing between the cells. Jason found one method, but that doesn't mean the BMS has no other ways as well that just haven't been found yet. While I don't know for sure what those other methods are, my experience confirms that you do not need to charge to 93% or even 90% to keep the battery in balance.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
cvc.png

All,

Could you kindly share your degradation metrics on your Tesla Model S. I too have had about 13% degradation, and Tesla is not willing to stand behind their product. As a proud owner and a shareholder, I am very disappointed by this. I have other Evs, and the degradation has been nothing close to this. I do feel the 90-pack has some issues that have not been present in the 85.

I have created a public Google sheet aimed at tracking Tesla Model S degradation vs Mileage. Can you share your numbers:

Tesla Model S Battery Degradation

(Please share and circulate this post)

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
All,

Could you kindly share your degradation metrics on your Tesla Model S. I too have had about 13% degradation, and Tesla is not willing to stand behind their product. As a proud owner and a shareholder, I am very disappointed by this. I have other Evs, and the degradation has been nothing close to this. I do feel the 90-pack has some issues that have not been present in the 85.

I have created a public Google sheet aimed at tracking Tesla Model S degradation vs Mileage. Can you share your numbers:

Tesla Model S Battery Degradation

(Please share and circulate this post)

13% at 55K miles is a bit much I do agree. Yours is the first in that list?

My 2013 85 kWh with 90k miles, when new max range was 265, currently down to 234, Service center performed a battery diagnostic & as expected told me "battery is working as designed & is in acceptable range compared to other vehicles in the fleet" :rolleyes:
View attachment 405259

They gave me the same canned response and added that my car with 13% degradation is within 1% of the fleet of vins produced at this time. To which I responded, oh it sounds like Panasonic gave you guys a bad batch of batteries. :)

• Disagree
Reactions: sorka and IdaX
One thing to consider when talking about degradation, the range when new is not the same on all cars produce with the same battery, even within the same time period. My car had 271 miles when new, others had 265, some less some more. Depending on what starting point used the degradation is different. Experience shows that you typically lose a few % right in the first months, then degradation slows down. I wish Tesla would just mask that.