Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

167 miles on my first full charge on 85 !!! woowhoo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
got 167 miles (159.9 + 7) on my first full charge today (full charged in the morning with 240 miles showing) on 85.........
my first data point !!

Attachments

• range.jpg
    range.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 1,040
got 167 miles (159.9 + 7) on my first full charge today (full charged in the morning with 240 miles showing) on 85.........
my first data point !!

Must have pushed the car to the limits while driving, the harder you drive the less you get, just like a ICE. Everyone knows that if you drive at super fast 75-90mph you will get about 70% of the range. Think you did a standard charge then drove like a racecar driver.

Perhaps. This equates to about 200 on a range charge, which is about 75% of EPA estimate. Not horrible, but I knew I was pretty disheartened when I first came to the realization of what my real range would be.

I was pretty ecstatic myself:)
I of course had experience driving EVs in the winter and had a good idea what to expect. The reason I was as happy as I was is I was expecting the Model S to do slightly worse than our Roadster. It ended up doing the same:).

A bit lead-footed, uh? :D

389 wh/m average is lead-footed? I must have a foot of Tungsten :redface:

Why does it show only 62.2 kwh used and 7 miles of range left if this is an 85 kwh battery? :confused:

If the assumption is that standard charge only charges to 80% of the battery then that would be about 68kwh. If so, then he had 5.8kwh left. Not exact, but close enough I think.

I was pretty ecstatic myself:)
I of course had experience driving EVs in the winter and had a good idea what to expect. The reason I was as happy as I was is I was expecting the Model S to do slightly worse than our Roadster. It ended up doing the same:).

I was still in the boat thinking 70-80% of the 300m originally promised. When the EPA revealed 265 I was hoping that was closer to reality than the 300 (so expected 230-240). It's a good thing they stuck with advertising the EPA number and not the 300m number.

my first data point !!

Rated range on a standard charge (240 mi) is achieved at a consumption rate of 308 Wh/mi. So this means a standard charge is 0.308*240= 73.9 kWh, or 87% of 85 kWh.

So with a full standard charge and 73.9 kWh in the tank, and the screenshot consumption rate of 389 Wh/mi, you should have been able to drive 73.9/.389 = 190 mi.

Something doesn't quite add up...maybe try a reboot.

May be the motor needed to be broken in :)

i did drive like a yahoo for about 50 miles of it !!
Just throwing a data point out there for driving spiritedly..... Although 100 of those miles were freeway miles at 75mph

traffic at 75MPH makes a huge difference! When I was in Sac last weekend I was getting 295Whr/mi at that speed

at 0 mi rated i put 74kWhr in my car to a std charge of 242mi

Last edited:
Averaging ~400Wh/mile over 100+ miles in one day is most likely very spirited driving.

Depends on a lot of factors, really. My lifetime average is 408 Wh/mile as noted by my trip odo. The initial 2 miles from my house can't really be done in less than 500-600 Wh/mile because of hills, stops, hairpin turns, etc., unless you want to drive 40 mph on a backroad. Couple that with plenty of short trips and you never make it up.

William,

Careful driving in surface street traffic (don't jackrabbit, carefully time regen braking, only touch the brakes to keep from rolling) it is easy to beat 300 WH/mile. By a lot if you channel your Prius.

On a 50 mile freeway drive at 72 mph (steady cruise control the whole way) the car did 302 WH/mile, so right in line with rated range.

For the first week I was at about 500 WH/mile. Many 0 - 80 - 0, pick up new passengers, repeat cycles. Real hooning is probably much more.

William,

Careful driving in surface street traffic (don't jackrabbit, carefully time regen braking, only touch the brakes to keep from rolling) it is easy to beat 300 WH/mile. By a lot if you channel your Prius.

On a 50 mile freeway drive at 72 mph (steady cruise control the whole way) the car did 302 WH/mile, so right in line with rated range.

For the first week I was at about 500 WH/mile. Many 0 - 80 - 0, pick up new passengers, repeat cycles. Real hooning is probably much more.

hi, Gordon:

glad you are here on the forum.....We need to break the Tesla stereotype !! hooning is good for the Tesla crowd !!

on my 85, car has a lot of low end, but falls on its face on high end... expected, but kinda disappointing. hopefully your P85 is quicker....

see my other thread on panel gaps. is yours as bad as mine ? that's the first thing everybody sees when walking up to my car. Yugo is the first word everybody had....including Oli. something is seriously wrong when racers are complaining about panel gaps...