TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

167 miles on my first full charge on 85 !!! woowhoo

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by bellwilliam, Apr 9, 2013.

1. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Member

got 167 miles (159.9 + 7) on my first full charge today (full charged in the morning with 240 miles showing) on 85.........
    my first data point !!

Attached Files:

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Can't tell if sarcasm.

3. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Perhaps optimism on the spirited driving :)

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Perhaps. This equates to about 200 on a range charge, which is about 75% of EPA estimate. Not horrible, but I knew I was pretty disheartened when I first came to the realization of what my real range would be.

5. Mnlevin

Mnlevin Member

Must have pushed the car to the limits while driving, the harder you drive the less you get, just like a ICE. Everyone knows that if you drive at super fast 75-90mph you will get about 70% of the range. Think you did a standard charge then drove like a racecar driver.

6. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

I was pretty ecstatic myself:)
    I of course had experience driving EVs in the winter and had a good idea what to expect. The reason I was as happy as I was is I was expecting the Model S to do slightly worse than our Roadster. It ended up doing the same:).

7. Plug Me In

Plug Me In Member

I've gotten rated range on my first two road trips. The first, car was fully loaded with people and luggage and had to drive pretty conservatively. Second was by myself and no special care was taken. Not much high speed freeway driving though. (> 73 mph)

8. Bipo

Bipo Member

A bit lead-footed, uh? :D

Enjoy the car, I would do the same ;)

9. dennis

dennis P85D

Why does it show only 62.2 kwh used and 7 miles of range left if this is an 85 kwh battery? :confused:

10. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

389 wh/m average is lead-footed? I must have a foot of Tungsten :redface:

If the assumption is that standard charge only charges to 80% of the battery then that would be about 68kwh. If so, then he had 5.8kwh left. Not exact, but close enough I think.

I was still in the boat thinking 70-80% of the 300m originally promised. When the EPA revealed 265 I was hoping that was closer to reality than the 300 (so expected 230-240). It's a good thing they stuck with advertising the EPA number and not the 300m number.

11. mckemie

mckemie Member

I generally get 260-280 wh/m on my new Tesla S. Though I have several years experience driving EVs.

12. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

And, you're in Texas. Ambient temperature makes a huge difference. In cold weather I can't get it below 320 no matter how I drive. Now with the temps above 50 degrees I'm routinely seeing sub 300.

13. captain_zap

captain_zap Electron tamer

Rated range on a standard charge (240 mi) is achieved at a consumption rate of 308 Wh/mi. So this means a standard charge is 0.308*240= 73.9 kWh, or 87% of 85 kWh.

So with a full standard charge and 73.9 kWh in the tank, and the screenshot consumption rate of 389 Wh/mi, you should have been able to drive 73.9/.389 = 190 mi.

Something doesn't quite add up...maybe try a reboot.

14. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Member

May be the motor needed to be broken in :)

i did drive like a yahoo for about 50 miles of it !!
    Just throwing a data point out there for driving spiritedly..... Although 100 of those miles were freeway miles at 75mph

15. Zextraterrestrial

#15 Zextraterrestrial, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
    traffic at 75MPH makes a huge difference! When I was in Sac last weekend I was getting 295Whr/mi at that speed

at 0 mi rated i put 74kWhr in my car to a std charge of 242mi

16. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Averaging ~400Wh/mile over 100+ miles in one day is most likely very spirited driving.

17. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Depends on a lot of factors, really. My lifetime average is 408 Wh/mile as noted by my trip odo. The initial 2 miles from my house can't really be done in less than 500-600 Wh/mile because of hills, stops, hairpin turns, etc., unless you want to drive 40 mph on a backroad. Couple that with plenty of short trips and you never make it up.

18. jeffhre

jeffhre Member

You folks will never break the curve at hypermiling school...that is fer sure:)

19. TrackDayHookey

TrackDayHookey New Member

William,

Careful driving in surface street traffic (don't jackrabbit, carefully time regen braking, only touch the brakes to keep from rolling) it is easy to beat 300 WH/mile. By a lot if you channel your Prius.

On a 50 mile freeway drive at 72 mph (steady cruise control the whole way) the car did 302 WH/mile, so right in line with rated range.

For the first week I was at about 500 WH/mile. Many 0 - 80 - 0, pick up new passengers, repeat cycles. Real hooning is probably much more.

20. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Member

hi, Gordon:

glad you are here on the forum.....We need to break the Tesla stereotype !! hooning is good for the Tesla crowd !!

on my 85, car has a lot of low end, but falls on its face on high end... expected, but kinda disappointing. hopefully your P85 is quicker....

see my other thread on panel gaps. is yours as bad as mine ? that's the first thing everybody sees when walking up to my car. Yugo is the first word everybody had....including Oli. something is seriously wrong when racers are complaining about panel gaps...