Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

16KW destination Charger limited to Car AC/DC rate of 11KW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, this makes sense, but kind of sucks. In my area, going to Michigan's wasteland of Super Chargers of The U.P, I'm looking at all options. There is a winery on the way kind of with a 16kW destination charger, access 24/7, that is a possibility for a winter top-off if need be.

Just learned, my 2020 MX LR++ with a 48amp charger limit (11kw) ONLY charges at that rate 48 amp on anything other that a Level 3 DC charger (Super Charger, etc).

So SUCKS that we can't get more than 11kw rate on the trip at any available chargers. Need to expand that SC network to cover more fringe cases if want people "in the sticks" to dump their ICE vehicles as fast as I would like them to.

(As it is, can make it in the summer door-to-door, 30% left. Looking ahead to winter, A Better Trip Planner has it as 5% left when the temp drops to 0 deg F. TIGHT.)

Reactions: Prairie
Life goes on...what percentage of the time do you get to use full power of your car?
Here is the problem: If the winter ABRP has me getting to the cabin with 5%, add SNOW to the road conditions in the winter(It IS The U.P. and the lake effect snow gives them over 300" in a year, so it is a real possibility) ABRP says -7%. Not going to make it w/o a charge. So... this one charger is on the way, kind of. Because it is still longer than the direct route that is -7%, I need to add 17kw MINIMUM at a rate of 11 KW/h. Says 2.5 hours to get a +10% buffer when arrive home.

What was a 4 hour trip becomes a 6.5 hour trip. THIS is why it matters, as the Tesla may not be an option for winter trips here and that sucks. For EVs to replace ICE, this is a problem in our area. Edge case, but in winter, it is MY CASE.

The solution is simple. The town of Minoqua needs a SC or SOME kind of DC fast charge, even a 50kW/h. I could charge there for 22 minutes at 50kw/h rate and make it. Way better than 2.5 hours at 11kw/h at an out of the way destination charger.

• Love
Reactions: Prairie and Rocky_H
Well, this makes sense, but kind of sucks. In my area, going to Michigan's wasteland of Super Chargers of The U.P, I'm looking at all options. There is a winery on the way kind of with a 16kW destination charger, access 24/7, that is a possibility for a winter top-off if need be.

Just learned, my 2020 MX LR++ with a 48amp charger limit (11kw) ONLY charges at that rate 48 amp on anything other that a Level 3 DC charger (Super Charger, etc).
Yep, you have just hit on a very real problem with Tesla. They used to offer 80A charging, then 72A, then 48A. It's getting frustrating with how they keep reducing and crippling the AC charging rate of their cars, without even offering an extra cost option to pay for a faster onboard charger.

It really doesn't cost very much to add an AC circuit to an existing business, as opposed to the much bigger expense of DC charging stations. So this was very much "The Way", with lower traffic routes in places like this. 20kW charging is pretty dang reasonable to cross some traveling gaps, but since Tesla took that option away, these less populated areas are kind of a pain in the a#$. They do seem to be stuck in that Cali mindset, or at least a big city mindset, that doesn't acknowledge that there are places that don't have a lot of infrastructure and fast charging stations around.

OP is describing a charging window dilemma we all face, but most of us infrequently:

Under 250 miles: No problem for most modern Tesla EVs to drive without stopping to charge
250 - 350 miles: short stop even at L2
Over 500 miles: No problem with an overnight stay with L2 destination charging

350 - 500 miles can be an annoyance off the Supercharger path since people may not want to stop overnight en-route to the final destination.
There are a LOT of these paths, and Superchargers are not going to be there. I'm hopeful that 20 - 50 kW DC charging will become a thing to fill these gaps.

Reactions: Rocky_H
And the frustrating thing is that there are many places on routes like that where Tesla owners worked with businesses to get 70 or 80A wall connectors installed to help with this, and now they are unproductive, because Tesla took the option to get faster charging from the cars.

OP is describing a charging window dilemma we all face, but most of us infrequently:

Under 250 miles: No problem for most modern Tesla EVs to drive without stopping to charge
Over 500 miles: No problem with an overnight stay with L2 destination charging

350 - 500 miles can be an annoyance off the Supercharger path since people may not want to stop overnight en-route to the final destination.
There are a LOT of these paths, and Superchargers are not going to be there. I'm hopeful that 20 - 50 kW DC charging will become a thing to fill these gaps.

And I disagree with this assessment heartily anyway. This is the bracket of distance where this figures in A LOT. A very frequent route near me illustrates this.
The route from Boise to Bend, OR was 319 miles before they built the Superchargers there. With my older S85, it's a bit over 200 miles of real distance that I can do. I would need to add about 100 extra miles of range on a 208V 40A charging point along the way. That runs about 25 miles per hour. You think 4 hours of waiting to charge is a "short stop"?

Reactions: Prairie
many of us liveg 1) where there is winter, with temps below 32 F 2) State roads are the primary routes between points a and b 3) there is only one interstate Hwy 4) there are less than 4 million people, roughly 1 million households. Pick any, some, or all of above. Range beats gaming on screens every single day. Desperate need for rapid chargers along main state highways. I am NOT going to visit a friend and spend 4 hours charging in a slow charger in a town of 650 people ( roughly 160 households) 50 miles from the next little town in the summer, let alone in the winter. We are prime tourist areas. We live daily life as well as road trips. It’s just our road trips are 100 miles or more, sometimes just to get something in town. Prime towing -a -trailer areas ( yeah, cypertruck with no range in winter hauling hay or your recreational horse to the vet). States as well as Tesla need to wake up. The future is now.

Reactions: FirstInTown