Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17” wheels on Model 3 possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DaveT

Searcher of green pastures
Nov 15, 2012
Texas
Does anybody know if 17” wheels can be put on a Model 3?

I know that 19” wheels are the smallest possible for a Model S since suspension parts get in the way if you go smaller. And I know 19” is the smallest for a Model X (Tesla offers 19” winter wheels for the X). But for the Model 3 I haven’t heard what’s the smallest wheels possible.

For those curious why I’m asking I’m just looking for the smoothest ride possible because I’m driving with wife and 2 small kids.

Reactions: tander and NOCO24U
Here is an answer from @Mad Hungarian that he posted over on M3OC:

Downsize-for-winter - Welllll, it's almost exactly what I thought from the photos we've seen... you CAN fit a 17", but it's razor-thin close over the rear brakes. And when I say "a" wheel, I mean "a" wheel. Out of the 85 models we have in the right 17" specs. there is exactly one that fits over the rear brakes, and that with just 2.1mm of clearance to the barrel. On paper that is the absolute bare minimum we would ever consider for acceptable caliper-to-inner-barrel clearance, but until we can do some real-world testing we're not going to allow it as it's pretty clear the car wasn't designed for 17".

MG 3d-scanned the wheel well without the wheel on to arrive at this conclusion

source: Model3 Roadtrip/Meet and Greet

I know that 19” wheels are the smallest possible for a Model S since suspension parts get in the way if you go smaller. And I know 19” is the smallest for a Model X (Tesla offers 19” winter wheels for the X). But for the Model 3 I haven’t heard what’s the smallest wheels possible.

For those curious why I’m asking I’m just looking for the smoothest ride possible because I’m driving with wife and 2 small kids.
If you're going for the smoothest ride possible, you should consider also waiting for air suspension. From my experience with the Model S, it feels a lot smoother, though less sporty.

Reactions: DaveT
i have 18" aeros inflated to 39 psi (per elon's tweet). i'd love 17" wheels and a suspension tuned for cruising. these roads in chicago are killing me. i noticed the 'luxury' trim mercedes e-class has 17" wheels and a comfort suspension. it would be great if tesla made a comfort version of their cars too.

I am going to give you my honest opinion.

If smooth ride / comfort is your most important criteria, then the Model 3 is not the right car for you. This car is designed to be a sports sedan with a sporty ride. The ride is stiffer than a BMW 3 series. That's what it's designed to do.

If you need the smoothest ride / comfort Sedan in the same price range, I would recommend a 1-2 year old MB E class or the new generation Lexus ES.

I found a pic of the Mercedes
renders-of-cars-with-tiny-wheels.jpg

I just don't think there's any option for 17". I ended up getting 18" winters and haven't looked back at this again. As long as you don't run 20" low profile tires it should keep the broken wheels to a minimum, I've hit a number of potholes without any damage (knocking on wood!).

I have a Model 3 AWD LR with 19" wheels.

I tested a 17" spare tire from an Hyundai car, which has the same 5 bolts pattern.

- The front tire was working but not the rear because of the brake.

do you have pics for this?
i want to modify the brakes a bit to fit 17"
I can make a pic, but I was using a donut spare tire from a Genesis.
I didn't test a regular wheel, so I am not sure if this would be of great help.

I imagine that you try to fit some winter tires?
May be try to find, in a junk yard, some cars with 17' wheels and with the same bolt pattern than the Model 3.
Get at least one wheel so you can test the fitting to see if just shaving a little bit an edge of a brake would be enough?

The Model 3 bolt pattern is: 5-114.3mm (5x4.5")
You can find the bolt pattern of other vehicles using tiresize.com/bolt-pattern-finder

do you have pics for this?
i want to modify the brakes a bit to fit 17"
I know this is an old thread, but certain 17s with brake clearance do fit the Model 3s without the Performance Upgrade Brakes (ie Factory Red Calipers).

EZ Spare sells a 17" Compact Spare that clears: Tesla Spare Wheel - EZ Spare Wheel

Here is another forum where someone fitted 17s: Increasing suspension travel and/or lifting (was: Model...

I am also surprised Tesla didn't make 215/55/17 on an aerodynamic 17x7.5 the "Standard Wheel" for increased efficiency. And then 215/50/18 on a 18x7.5 as standard for a Performance. Then you could opt for 235/40/19s for the street upgrades or 245/35/20s for the Track setup. But a select few 17s do fit.

I know this is an old thread, but certain 17s with brake clearance do fit the Model 3s without the Performance Upgrade Brakes (ie Factory Red Calipers).

EZ Spare sells a 17" Compact Spare that clears: Tesla Spare Wheel - EZ Spare Wheel

Here is another forum where someone fitted 17s: Increasing suspension travel and/or lifting (was: Model...

I am also surprised Tesla didn't make 215/55/17 on an aerodynamic 17x7.5 the "Standard Wheel" for increased efficiency. And then 215/50/18 on a 18x7.5 as standard for a Performance. Then you could opt for 235/40/19s for the street upgrades or 245/35/20s for the Track setup. But a select few 17s do fit.
a
Anyone try wheel spacers