Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17.11.45 Automatic Emergency Braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man I was really hoping for improvements in AP2, I guess we continue to wait for the next big one.

Yeah, AEB isn't AP at all (it's part of the standard safety features on all Teslas that you don't pay for). Auto wipers and auto high beams aren't either. Last AP2 update was March 28th, and Elon said "2-6 weeks per AP2 update". So they've got 2 more weeks to give us something like perpendicular parking, speed limit sign reading, vehicle types on the dash, cars in adjacent lanes, or just not having it try and kill you on the highway when the lanes aren't perfect.

They're making good progress, but man are they way behind their Dec 29th estimate. They thought it would take 70 days for most AP1 features to be in AP2 and it's now been 190 days and we're still not there.

Yeah, AEB isn't AP at all (it's part of the standard safety features on all Teslas that you don't pay for). Auto wipers and auto high beams aren't either. Last AP2 update was March 28th, and Elon said "2-6 weeks per AP2 update". So they've got 2 more weeks to give us something like perpendicular parking, speed limit sign reading, vehicle types on the dash, cars in adjacent lanes, or just not having it try and kill you on the highway when the lanes aren't perfect.

They're making good progress, but man are they way behind their Dec 29th estimate. They thought it would take 70 days for most AP1 features to be in AP2 and it's now been 190 days and we're still not there.

Elon said features of autonomy would improve every 2-6 weeks, I am more hoping for an EAP feature like, automatic overtaking, or transitioning between freeways with navigation.

That's a very odd version number, considering most folks have been getting 17.14.35 lately.

If something hasn't happened to change the naming scheme, it was frozen a month ago, before the one we've been installing and never released to the public?

A 17.16.xx would make a lot more sense. But I guess you never know what Tesla is thinking. :)

I have just had 17.16.35 installed on my AP2 car. Can't check it as it is in service at the moment.

Elon said features of autonomy would improve every 2-6 weeks, I am more hoping for an EAP feature like, automatic overtaking, or transitioning between freeways with navigation.

You think they will implement these before they have auto headlights and wipers working, and parity with other AP1 features (speed limit signs, parking, dash symbology)? I just assumed we were months away from any non-AP1 feature given the rate that AP1 parity has been taking.

Except of course that we will definitely have some FSD differences within the next 3 months.. /s

You think they will implement these before they have auto headlights and wipers working, and parity with other AP1 features (speed limit signs, parking, dash symbology)? I just assumed we were months away from any non-AP1 feature given the rate that AP1 parity has been taking.

Except of course that we will definitely have some FSD differences within the next 3 months.. /s
Auto headlights has been working for me since it was installed on 12/20/2016.

I thought speed limit signs are already being read by AP2.

Also, auto-high beams, and auto wipers... I imagine these are quite low priority. And they could in include those in a small quick update. Hardly feel these would cause a delay for other updates.

And I am hoping we will see some FSD differences in 3 months or so. It could be any feature outside of EAP.

This release got pushed out the same day Consumer Reports dinged Tesla over the lack of emergency braking for AP2 cars.
'Consumer Reports' dings Tesla's ratings over braking

That does seem awfully convenient. They also said that they delayed it to ensure it worked perfectly and was absolutely safe, but it so happened that it was ready as soon as CR dinged them and magically it perfected itself? Something is off about the whole thing. I hope its not a PR stunt that risks peoples lives.

I know what he meant. I'm just replying to what he actually wrote. ;)

For those who don't know the facts, auto headlights for AP2.0 was enabled in late December and has been tweaked since then. Mine work great.

As of 4/26/17, auto high beams hasn't been enabled for AP2.0.

Auto headlights might be available in USA, but in Canada the lights stay on all the time, no "daytime running lights" which my previous Tesla had (ie the eyebrows only on). No auto rain wipers yet either.

That does seem awfully convenient. They also said that they delayed it to ensure it worked perfectly and was absolutely safe, but it so happened that it was ready as soon as CR dinged them and magically it perfected itself? Something is off about the whole thing. I hope its not a PR stunt that risks peoples lives.

I found it interesting that what they are shipping is an old build - from week 11, early March. I'm not entirely sure how to understand that.

Maybe they finished the code several weeks ago, but needed all this time testing to be sure it's right - and nothing to improve came out of the testing.

I thought speed limit signs are already being read by AP2.

Also, auto-high beams, and auto wipers... I imagine these are quite low priority. And they could in include those in a small quick update. Hardly feel these would cause a delay for other updates.

I love people that say auto high beams and wipers would be easy. If so, why the heck aren't they in there yet? They only require computer vision processing to see raindrops on the windshield or detect rain on the road, and computer vision that can detect other cars at night and separate them from streetlights and other stationary lights. Yep, easy peasy. AP2 can't even read speed limit signs!

As for low priority? Tesla is screwing that up. My wife could hardly care about the AP features but is pissed she moved from a 15 year old BMW we sold for $7,000 to a $100K car and the auto wipers don't work in Seattle. For some of us, auto wipers would be one of the largest updates Tesla could make to AP2.

My gut says it's one of the hardest things they are going to do with AP2. The cameras are not focused on the windshield. Think of what kind of image detection they're going to need to do to determine it's raining by just observing the world visually.

They can't get auto wipers to work after 6 months and you're expecting automatic overtaking and auto transitioning between freeways??

Like I've said before they just need more fleet data from rainy days to train the neural net for the wipers. It's been kinda dry recently so there haven't been many rainy days - so I guess we can't blame Tesla for that. Patience people, it's supposed to be a wet winter in 2017.

It's been kinda dry recently so there haven't been many rainy days - so I guess we can't blame Tesla for that. Patience people, it's supposed to be a wet winter in 2017.

It's literally been the wettest season on record in the Pacific Northwest from when AP2 was announced to now:

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/arti...e-lives-up-to-name-breaks-another-rain-record

You realize that Winter 2017 isn't for another 6+ months? I'll be really pissed if it takes them over a year to deliver working auto wipers that were advertised as there when I test drove a car in October 2016.