Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17.11.45 Automatic Emergency Braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no "possibly not in time" the way AEB is currently designed. It doesn't do anything until it thinks a collision is completely unavoidable. Then it hits the brakes to try to slow down by 25 MPH before releasing the brakes.

Are you sure?

The feeling I've gotten from various discussions on the topic for assorted cars is that AEB won't trigger until a collision is almost guaranteed but it generally stops in time in good conditions- with instructions that all look like the Tesla ones, presumably so people don't count on it or sue.

But I don't know that for a fact, so if you know something more about the Tesla implementation I'd be happy to listen.

Last edited:
What does the white circular sensor close to the unwiped area do? Light sensor for ambient light or rain sensor? AP2, 2017 Model S.

That sensor is likely the solar radiation intensity sensor that tells the AC how much warmer the occupants feel than just the air temp. It's really just an IR sensor. Lots of cars have these. Nothing to do with AP or the cameras.

I see someone edited their comment to be less harsh.

:)

But, yeah it's extremely disappointing that they weren't straight forwards about it. It's not like all the other rollouts didn't start conservatively as well. So it would have surprised no one.
I know right? I would've expected at least a few "the car strangled me as I went under a shadowy overpass" threads by now...

See, by staging AEB at 28 MPH, then 35 MPH, then 45 MPH, then 55 MPH, then 57 MPH, then 62 MPH, then 74.7 MPH, then 80 MPH, Tesla can do a release every 2-6 weeks with "improvements to AP2" just like Elon said and keep those promises.

Only another 12-18 months before AP2 is at AP1 parity. But they're totally driving across country by themselves in the next 7 months. It's only been 7 months since they released AP2.

• Funny
Reactions: Matias
28 MPH and not disclosed? Very disappointed.

One of the reasons I bought into Tesla was my belief they were honest. After seeing what GM did with a cheap detent spring that they were told didn't meet their own specs, and the ignored it then covered it up? Then I see Tesla engineer a battery shield and retroactively install it on previously sold cars. World of difference. I thought. Great honest company that cares about their customers.

Something's changed, and not for the better...

Reactions: anonim1979