Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If we think of the Tesla as a computer with wheels, there are some useful analogies. Apple prides itself on accommodating its new Mac OS and iOS versions on its older hardware, but at some point the features designed for much faster and capacious machines just can't be shoehorned into the legacy boxes.

I think the same thing inevitably happens to Teslas. It's not so much a matter of policy as of practicality.

Logical. But as far as I know they haven't yet made any hardware changes to the computer behind either display, right?

I know the driver's panel itself has been upgraded, and they went to LTE (but offer an upgrade for that.)

Certainly Pre AP and AP1 cars won't be able to benefit from much of the AP2 eAP/FSDC development, but I don't see why they can't handle everything else Tesla comes up with for now.

I see no evidence that resetting your system has any influence at all on the availability of the new software. My guess is that this is a classic example of the post hoc fallacy.

It's been found that when pedestrians at crosswalks are given buttons to push they report much shorter waits for the WALK signal to appear, even though the buttons aren't connected to anything.

I see no evidence that resetting your system has any influence at all on the availability of the new software. My guess is that this is a classic example of the post hoc fallacy.

It's been found that when pedestrians at crosswalks are given buttons to push they report much shorter waits for the WALK signal to appear, even though the buttons aren't connected to anything.
We assume (yeah, I know) that the mothership is controlling pushing updates. Thus, whatever the car does (besides having better bandwidth by being on wifi, and the mothership knows that from the connection) shouldn't matter (like time since reboot).

You would really need a controlled environment to conclusively test this, and from what I've seen, it's been so random except for the 'get on wifi' recommendation, it may just be random.

Did some more driving with 17.17.4 this afternoon. Autopilot is getting better but still not quite as good as AP1. It does lots of little turns instead of one long even turn the way AP1 does, feels slightly more jerky. Still not dark here so I can't tell if the auto headlights will work correctly. It is great that the 35 mph speed limit was lifted, seems to do fine on local roads but still not smooth like AP1.

Thus, whatever the car does (besides having better bandwidth by being on wifi, and the mothership knows that from the connection) shouldn't matter (like time since reboot).

I always assumed the "Wi-Fi cars go first" part was because it decreases the amount of data Tesla has to push across the cell service they pay for, and thus presumably decreases their cost.

I always assumed the "Wi-Fi cars go first" part was because it decreases the amount of data Tesla has to push across the cell service they pay for, and thus presumably decreases their cost.
That was my theory, also. With all the data flying back and forth, they may be paying for the 3G/LTE bulk rate with a massive data plan (not unlimited), and those that get it first are the 'free' ones on wifi. Only if you never connect for what, two weeks, do you get it over LTE, etc.

Very glad to see all the EAP owners getting closer to AP, and looking forward to seeing Tesla continue with Auto Pilot improvements.
I really wonder what incentive Tesla has to improve AP1 at this point... I would love to see 2 more things added at this point on AP1,
a) Taking exits based on nav
b) Summon on private property, and not just in a straight line
Other than the above, I feel Tesla has "delivered" on AP1.
Thinking back to the October 2014 debut of Auto Pilot, I don't think that Elon committed to either of those two items. That's not to say that they won't appear at some point for AP owners, but I'm doubtful.

Resetting the system might actually delay an update. If your car is in the middle of downloading a new update and you restart, it either has to restart the download or continue where it left off later.

• Informative
Reactions: mikerathbun
We assume (yeah, I know) that the mothership is controlling pushing updates. Thus, whatever the car does (besides having better bandwidth by being on wifi, and the mothership knows that from the connection) shouldn't matter (like time since reboot).

You would really need a controlled environment to conclusively test this, and from what I've seen, it's been so random except for the 'get on wifi' recommendation, it may just be random.

I can't help but wonder if folks at the Mother Ship secretly read through threads like this, then chuckle and post our latest "theories" on an in-house server for fellow workers to enjoy. :)

Very glad to see all the EAP owners getting closer to AP, and looking forward to seeing Tesla continue with Auto Pilot improvements.Thinking back to the October 2014 debut of Auto Pilot, I don't think that Elon committed to either of those two items. That's not to say that they won't appear at some point for AP owners, but I'm doubtful.
I think you are correct about the initial debut. They did not make that commitment.

However, they did commit late last year when they first described the 8.1 release, saying that AP1 would be able to transition from one highway to the next if it was on nav. So hopefully when the "real" 8.1 comes out, AP1 cars will do highway to highway all automatically.

Reactions: JohnnyG and GSP
However, they did commit late last year when they first described the 8.1 release, saying that AP1 would be able to transition from one highway to the next if it was on nav. So hopefully when the "real" 8.1 comes out, AP1 cars will do highway to highway all automatically.

I'm thinking this just means that if you're in a lane that splits, it'll be smart enough to follow the correct edge of the lane as it splits.

Very glad to see all the EAP owners getting closer to AP, and looking forward to seeing Tesla continue with Auto Pilot improvements.Thinking back to the October 2014 debut of Auto Pilot, I don't think that Elon committed to either of those two items. That's not to say that they won't appear at some point for AP owners, but I'm doubtful.

Actually he did, see this video,

@9:50 - you'll be able to summon the car if you are private property, the car will come to wherever you are .. .... if your calendar turned on, it'll meet you there.

Also Elon Musk on Twitter

His summon description sounds a lot more than in a straight line for 20 feet.

The freeway exit was a tweet, which I can't find now. Was supposed to be in 8.1 but wasn't.

Reactions: JohnnyG and Nosken
I never received that update and there are others who have been stuck on 17.11.3 as well. :(
Call Tesla they can fix this I'm sure. No AEB on a P100D we need the most, things can go wrong the fastest. P100D owners should have priority on updates. Should come with the huge sticker cost of these cars. I was sure when I bought a P100D Elon was going to come to my house and thank me. He didn't :(