Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17.18.50 (AP1)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Peteybabes

redneck drivin' a tesla...
Apr 8, 2016
'murica
Not much said on this update as shown in the photos below.

I will do some autopilot testing to see if anything has changed...

20170606_174819_resized.jpg 20170606_174801_resized.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
I get a white flash when I press the blank area next to the Bluetooth icon, as if there was an icon there. Press-and-hold does nothing. New?
"ModelXmas" egg still works.
I've not noticed any quality change in AP.

17.18.50 had this changelog entry that was only shown to HW2 cars and not anything else:
With this release we're introducing a new safety feature, Automatic Emergency Braking.
Automatic Emergency Braking, a new Collision Avoidance Assist feature, is designed to automatically engage the brakes to reduce the impact of an unavoidable frontal collision with another vehicle. The brakes disengage when you press hard on the accelerator pedal, release the brake pedal, or sharply turn the steering wheel.

Automatic Emergency Braking is enabled by default. You can temporarily disable it by tapping CONTROLS > Settings > Driver Assistance > COLLISION AVOIDANCE ASSIST, and then disabling the AUTOMATIC EMERGENCY BRAKING setting. The feature is re-enabled on your next drive.

17.18.50 had this changelog entry that was only shown to HW2 cars and not anything else:
Could someone explain? In the same sentence, Tesla calls it 'Collision Avoidance Assist', which any reasonable person would take to mean it will assist you in avoiding a collision. At least that's the way I learned English. But the sentence goes on to say that it will 'reduce the impact of an unavoidable frontal collision'. That's not 'Avoidance', that's mitigation.

Sounds like the system is designed to act only when it knows the collision can't be avoided. That sounds totally screwed up to me.

Could someone explain? In the same sentence, Tesla calls it 'Collision Avoidance Assist', which any reasonable person would take to mean it will assist you in avoiding a collision. At least that's the way I learned English. But the sentence goes on to say that it will 'reduce the impact of an unavoidable frontal collision'. That's not 'Avoidance', that's mitigation.

Sounds like the system is designed to act only when it knows the collision can't be avoided. That sounds totally screwed up to me.
The engineers designed a collision avoidance assistance function, then the lawyers go a hold of the text.

The English I learned implies that "unavoidable frontal collision" could not be avoided. ;)

It's great to make the unavoidable ones less severe, but why stop there? How about preventing the avoidable ones?
I have no idea about it.
Perhaps the logic is "if it is avoidable, the driver will act and avoid the incident. Once it's unavoidable, we reduce severity, but it's too late to avoid it ", perhaps not. Keep in mind FCW is triggering before AEB to let you know before the accident is unavoidable and you are free to
correct the situation as you see fit.

It's great to make the unavoidable ones less severe, but why stop there? How about preventing the avoidable ones?
People here seem to get really pissed off when their car brakes for them in situations where the driver swears he had the situation under control. Aggressive passing maneuvers, flooring it on an on ramp that ends in a hundred feet, driving really close to concrete barriers, etc.

AEB false positives are undesirable and most people don’t want a car that acts like a scaredy cat backseat driver can slam on the brakes...

One day when the car can read your mind, maybe we can have that. Or at least when AP is under control hopefully it will avoid accidents if at all possible.

Reactions: vandacca