Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17.22.46 AP2 Reading Signs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok doesn't seem to be on more testing. And the perpendicular parking is unusable, almost hit someone trying it out, and that's after it failed to see a half dozen spots.
If you're talking about the video, it didn't "almost hit" anyone. Looks identical to the AP1 perpendicular parking algorithm where it'll back up diagonally into the neighboring car until the parking sensors turn red, and then pull forward and back in again (3 point turn). It's attempting to measure the size and center of the spot by positioning the sensors to take a closer look at the spot.

If you're talking about the video, it didn't "almost hit" anyone. Looks identical to the AP1 perpendicular parking algorithm where it'll back up diagonally into the neighboring car until the parking sensors turn red, and then pull forward and back in again (3 point turn). It's attempting to measure the size and center of the spot by positioning the sensors to take a closer look at the spot.

No I'm talking about my personally trying to use it. After failing to see many spots it finally decided to squeeze in between two black trucks and I stopped it literally within two inches of hitting the tire fender on the left one. When I demoed AP1 in December it worked just fine. This doesn't.

No I'm talking about my personally trying to use it. After failing to see many spots it finally decided to squeeze in between two black trucks and I stopped it literally within two inches of hitting the tire fender on the left one. When I demoed AP1 in December it worked just fine. This doesn't.

I guess I should have probably taken pictures to prove it, I assumed my word would be enough. Anyway it's a feature I have no need of but I've warned my wife not to use it in the meantime. OTOH AP is noticeably smoother although it still dodges slightly on highway exits when used in the right lane.

I actually came on this morning to report the same thing. On my way in to work this morning, on 17.22.46, twice I passed speed limit signs (which were a different speed limit than the current) and precisely at the time I passed the sign the white speed limit icon changed. I think it is working, otherwise the geo-location of the speed limit changes is way better than I expected.

Of course I still have the problem where it thinks the posted km/h speed limit is actually in miles and then multiplies it thinking it's converting it to km/h and displays the wrong number...

Edit: This is on my S75D

I actually came on this morning to report the same thing. On my way in to work this morning, on 17.22.46, twice I passed speed limit signs (which were a different speed limit than the current) and precisely at the time I passed the sign the white speed limit icon changed. I think it is working, otherwise the geo-location of the speed limit changes is way better than I expected.

Of course I still have the problem where it thinks the posted km/h speed limit is actually in miles and then multiplies it thinking it's converting it to km/h and displays the wrong number...

Edit: This is on my S75D
Yes, for those of us in Canada and I guess other metric countries, AP2 uses the correct speed limit to establish the speed limit offset for TACC, but the dash display of the speed limit is about 1.6 times higher than the actual speed limit (as you correctly point out, for that display only, it makes the mistake of treating the speed limit as if it were in miles, and so then improperly upconverts it to kilometres).

Reactions: Sather

Sorry, I was making an assumption there because the person in the video made a similar remark. Didn't mean to offend you.

That's too bad regarding your perpendicular parking experience. I had an AP1 car for 20k miles or so, and my experience was mostly positive with AutoPark. I did find that it liked to offer perpendicular parking way more often than it should, for spots that are obviously too tight. Especially when driving by them a little too quickly. And it likes to make every parking maneuver a 3-point turn, which annoys drivers waiting for me to park because they expect human drivers to mostly execute that in one sweep.

Overall, even with AP1 I ended up using parallel AutoPark a lot, but Perpendicular AutoPark only as a party trick.

Reactions: TallPaulS
I'm consistently seeing speed limit signs when I am out that do not match up with the speed posted on the dash. I'm assuming there is a learning curve (I've only had the vehicle a little over a week).

The speed shown is based on a GPS database which is often incorrect. Cars before October 2016 ("AP1") actually visually read the signs but AP2 does not yet. Someday, Tesla promises...