Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17.24.28 released - improved 'silky' update from 17.22.46?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW...
I have seen comments saying that 17.24.28 improved the performance of AP in the AP! cars, and the opposite. And reports that say not much changed. Not sure if a consensus has emerged.
My own observation after using AP1 for 100-200 miles on familiar roads over the past few days since I got the update is...little or no observable change. On some roads with few grade changes (i.e., no hills) it seemed as if it was rock steady, perhaps a bit better than before at maintaining a constant distance from the edge of the lane. But it still suffers from wandering from side to side at the crest of hills, which is one of the most frequent and most unsettling of its behaviors.
Having said this, I realize that (a) with no detailed release notes, we have no idea what this release is supposed to do, and (b) without quantitative measurements, my comments (and maybe most people's) are not verifiable or necessarily valid.

This weekend has convinced me that any user reports of 17.24.28 having any sort of improved behavior, lateral or longitudinal control are simply confirmation bias.

I drive the same 30 mile stretch of freeway every day, autosteer engaged nearly 100% of the time (AP2). I know exactly where all the trouble spots are - the overhead signs that cause phantom slowdowns, the increasing-radius turns that are navigated by a series of sharp hacks at the wheel, the place where it drifts over the left lane line, etc.

All of those were *dramatically* improved from 17.17.17 -> 17.24.28. Remarkable difference.

Maybe I'm just lucky with my little stretch of freeway. Dunno.

However, lord Elon giveth and lord Elon taketh away. The new speed limit database is garbage, with many of the 55mph roads I drive no longer having a detected limit (and thus a max autosteer of 45mph, making it worthless). That's a bummer.

However, lord Elon giveth and lord Elon taketh away. The new speed limit database is garbage, with many of the 55mph roads I drive no longer having a detected limit (and thus a max autosteer of 45mph, making it worthless). That's a bummer.

I had it go from 60 mph cruise in highway traffic, to auto-limiting to 25mph in the middle of the highway! Looks like it's all based on GPS data, which tends to get very wrong if you have multiple levels of traffic, i..e overpass, tunnel, surface road, all of the above at the same time). How do they even think of doing this. It's like they lock their developers in a box and they aren't allowed to drive. GPS is wrong all the time in urban scenarios.

Extremely dangerous!!!

Reactions: David29
Heavy focus on AP2. Still want to hear more reviews from the AP2 17.26.76 folks!!

17.26.17 is for us little people (AP1). :)

Capture.PNG