Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17.24.28 released - improved 'silky' update from 17.22.46?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly. I engaged auto steer while going 70 with traffic in the 90/94 express lanes and my X decelerated 15 miles an hour immediately to 55 -- in all previous high speed AS firmware, the car knew that the express lanes were interstate highway.

I was honked at and swerved around by the car behind me. But I could have easily been rear ended if traffic were heavier or if the driver behind me was not tuned in.

Where's the "I don't like it but I believe you" tag. Closest is Thumbs down but I don't disagree.

"kool aid" assumes anyone who has had successful experiences with AP2.0 is flat out lying and that they're secretly steering the car and not dying. All those videos on youtube are obviously staged too.
There is also the 'Placebo" affect especially concerning firmware updates. I have had AP2 perform 100% on one day's entire drive and the next day, nothing different but the day of the week" and AP2 struggled to do anything remotely normal for more than a couple of miles at a time. \i/

• Informative
Reactions: buttershrimp
Sounds as if everyone needs to provide a bug report:

"Your database for speed limits on this road is not correct, and I was almost rear ended when TACC was engaged and car slowed X MPH"

Complaining here, other than alerting those who have not received updates yet, while appreciated, does not help the cause at all...

Reactions: croman
Sounds as if everyone needs to provide a bug report:

"Your database for speed limits on this road is not correct, and I was almost rear ended when TACC was engaged and car slowed X MPH"

Complaining here, other than alerting those who have not received updates yet, while appreciated, does not help the cause at all...
I've sent "Bug report" every time I get on the express lanes. I've contact my SC -- who hadn't heard anything about it.

There has been no warning from Tesla about this bug to owners. It's insane. They have to know by now.

@JonMc Do you know someone who might care that the AP team is endangering drivers? (LOL - care)

Its not the maps, Tesla switched from Garmin GPS to Tom Tom for the database. Tom Tom is way inferior to Garmin around me. This is why reversibles on 90/94 is no longer geotagged as an expressway. Other roads, such as Mannheim, 41 north of 94 (where Tesla Highland Park is located!!), and other divided highways with on/off ramps were limited to 90mph on past updates and now are restricted to +5mph. This is very unfortunate as it is a major regression that puts drivers in jeopardy when engaging AS without knowing. The solution, temporarily, is to use TACC only but we all paid for AS and making it less, not more useful, with updates is unfortunate.

• Informative
Reactions: alcibiades
Its not the maps, Tesla switched from Garmin GPS to Tom Tom for the database. Tom Tom is way inferior to Garmin around me. This is why reversibles on 90/94 is no longer geotagged as an expressway. Other roads, such as Mannheim, 41 north of 94 (where Tesla Highland Park is located!!), and other divided highways with on/off ramps were limited to 90mph on past updates and now are restricted to +5mph. This is very unfortunate as it is a major regression that puts drivers in jeopardy when engaging AS without knowing. The solution, temporarily, is to use TACC only but we all paid for AS and making it less, not more useful, with updates is unfortunate.

When did this switch happen?

Looking at the Firmware tracker I'm beginning to think this is not really for AP2 cars. Compared to the last big AP2 firmware release of 17.17.4, which was almost all AP2 cars, 17.24.28 is going mostly to AP1 cars. So why is this being hyped as a version to bring AP2 up to the same level as AP1?
upload_2017-6-26_12-41-38.png

Why are we all Beta Testers? Shouldn't they be testing their firmware on their own vehicles before they release updates to the public. I did not pay $8000 to be a Beta tester for Tesla. They should be paying us if they want us to Beta test their firmware.

I think Elon would responde something like: it would take exponentially longer to come to market if all the self learning had to be done in house or no one would have it at all for years until it's fully complete.

I, personally, still prefer a half ass solution that's improving than not having it for 3 years. Tesla as of right now has no real competition in Autosteer space.

Looking at the Firmware tracker I'm beginning to think this is not really for AP2 cars. Compared to the last big AP2 firmware release of 17.17.4, which was almost all AP2 cars, 17.24.28 is going mostly to AP1 cars. So why is this being hyped as a version to bring AP2 up to the same level as AP1?
View attachment 232847

It seems to only be going out to AP2 cars at service appointments and new deliveries. I received the update on my AP2 car from a service appointment on Saturday.

I think Elon would responde something like: it would take exponentially longer to come to market if all the self learning had to be done in house or no one would have it at all for years until it's fully complete.

I, personally, still prefer a half ass solution that's improving than not having it for 3 years. Tesla as of right now has no real competition in Autosteer space.

Try that argument in 3 months when Audi releases its Traffic Jam Level 3 system. Tesla better get its ass in gear.

Holy crap... I'm beginning to question everything! I can't believe y'all are on the same software... I did another 175 miles today on 17.24.28 and it's much better. That's almost 400 miles in the last 3 days... on this update... I've done 1000 miles in 7 days... 600 miles on 17.22.46 which was really not a very good update... and 17.24.28 is silky smooth.

Also, don't get me wrong, it still is not the best in the local roads, but still better than any AP1 I've driven. Definitely improving. Several times today... I was saying, "niiiiiiice, definitely improving."

I think the person installing all of our cameras at the factory has a lazy eye or something... and that would explain the massively different experiences on this thread

Dude I question exactly that: do we have different performances because of camera positioning and dynamic cropping?

As I typed above this my s75 just completely swing into another lane on 24.28 on the highway on a straight lane. Oh boy

Reactions: BestRadar

I think in an ideal world, they'd advertise more honestly that the software is complex and the rollout will be step-by-step every month or two, and take over a year to reach peak functionality.

But apart from that, I'm with you. I actually kind of like the excitement of getting an update every ~month and reliving the new car experience, at least with respect to AP performance and quirks. I actually traded out of an AP1 car because I was kind of disappointed that AP2 people were getting all the fun, and as an AP 1 person it was same old same old for months on end.

I agree. We should all want Audi and specially the intel w bmw partnership as fast as possible to fire up some people to code faster. ;)

I actually want Audi and all other VW brands to go up in flames (along with other ICE manufacturers) but if there is a silver lining to their existence, let it be that it pushes Tesla to deliver on their "expectations."

Reactions: alcibiades
Try that argument in 3 months when Audi releases its Traffic Jam Level 3 system. Tesla better get its ass in gear.

I saw conflicting rumors about it being in the US, and it has a handover cutoff of 37mph or something around there.

Audi has been talking the "Piloted Assist" talk for years. We even heard this with the A4 and Q7 having substantial lane keeping abilities and that turned out to be an utter disappointing combination of a low-speed-two-follow-car ping pong and late accel/late braking mess. And 3 second hold when coming to a stop.

I'll believe these other systems when I see them. Would absolutely LOVE to be proven wrong, and would love for Tesla to have some on-the-road competition to motivate them to drive AP2's timeline more aggressively.