Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17.24.28 released - improved 'silky' update from 17.22.46?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This update has Autopilot (AP1) once again limiting me to +5mph on 4 lane divided state highways.. which basically renders autopilot useless on my daily commute as nobody drives that slow. Hopefully this gets reversed fairly swiftly like it did last time. #disappointed

Will this apply on interstates too?

He’s talking about small slowdowns for curves and TACC attempting to create a following distance gap to cars in adjacent lanes rather than just their own lanes (which arguably is good driving practice but humans hate letting others into their lane). Unless your friends and loved ones are Sandra Bullock driving a bus with a speed-triggered bomb, I think the motoring public is safe from Tesla....
On a local 4 lane highway doing 5 over the speed limit of 50 (the speed limit on the road could easily be 65,) my S aggressively dropped to 34 on a turn most vehicles would take at 50. If someone was behind me, they would at a minimum think I brake-checked them. At worst, it could be an accident if they weren't paying attention.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy to see the car slowing down for a lot (but not all) of the curves requiring speed adjustments now. We just need it to do so safely and consistently.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Wowwww. This is a huge improvement! I just watched your video and could not believe AP2 was behaving so well. Honestly the behavior I expected was like the infamous FAIL ROAD video.

I had the same reaction. With how people seem unimpressed with the changes vs 17.17.x, this video had me thinking that I've been much more hesitant than necessary to use AP2 on windy roads. But I suppose it's also possible that the improvements are much larger than people are making them out to be.

I had the same reaction. With how people seem unimpressed with the changes vs 17.17.x, this video had me thinking that I've been much more hesitant than necessary to use AP2 on windy roads. But I suppose it's also possible that the improvements are much larger than people are making them out to be.
It's a garbage regression from 17.17. I wish I could have my old firmware back. This version can't find lanes, can't follow traffic, doesn't know road-types, slows way too early, and is a big fan of the right side of a lane. There's a reason dude got fired.

Maybe I live in the wrong place.

It's a garbage regression from 17.17. I wish I could have my old firmware back. This version can't find lanes, can't follow traffic, doesn't know road-types, slows way too early, and is a big fan of the right side of a lane. There's a reason dude got fired.

Maybe I live in the wrong place.

That's for 17.24.X or 17.22.X? I've heard major problems with the latter, but not the former. Does that video we're discussing look like just a completely different experience?

Reactions: alcibiades
That's for 17.24.X or 17.22.X? I've heard major problems with the latter, but not the former. Does that video we're discussing look like just a completely different experience?

Honestly, I find making judgments off videos tough to do. For example in that video, he's driving below speed limit at about 31mph (50kmh) in a 37 (60) zone (yeah?). On the primary curve his previous version couldn't handle, AS is still wonky: almost taking him off the road on the way out; crossing into the oncoming lane on the way back. Extrapolating to speed, there's no way AS would've been successful. I suppose it'd be more interesting to see the exact route at same speed with earlier firmware and AP1 and without commentary. Judge purely on sight.

On top of that, the roads I drive simply don't look like that. I tend to drive on urban grids and big highways.

I spent a lot on this car and I really want it to work. It just doesn't. Sucks.

I'm not positive as I'm still on 17.22.46 but I think 17.24.28 is going to be best on the AP2 cars based on how they stopped doing 17.22.46.... total placebo I know, but I am starting to think tesla is secretly observing other cars so they can update my specific car with the best firmware.... so thoughtful of them to think of me :)

OK, so after bribing my local tesla service center with krispy kreme donuts, I was able to get the 17.24.28 downloaded and drove 100 miles since. Here are my observations of 17.24.28 after having 17.22.46 for 2 weeks.

Here is my observation of 17.24.28:

1) Big improvement with very little, if any, regression from previous versions.

2) It's silky smooth and more precise within the lanes most of the time... long curves are much better, shorter curves are better but still need improvement.

3) It's more careful on the highway, there is more confidence and precision, and no ping-pong... the more careful part is interesting because it will hesitate in a way that feels like a careful human driver ready to hit the brakes... it doesn't take away from driving confidence though... even though it kind of sounds like this scenario would be troubling.... somehow it isn't troubling when it is hesitating... it's like you have greater certainty as to why the car may be being careful.

4.) The integration of radar has just been implemented or has somehow improved... I think it can see 2 cars in front of me much better... for example, if my car brakes when the car in front of me has not yet braked.... I have more confidence that it must be seeing someone braking 2 cars in front of me... it is similar to that european video where the model x sees an accident before it happens.... It's great that it is safer in this way...

5.) It's auto lane changing was all around better when no one is around, but also if you are in the right lane and a group of faster cars is passing you on the left... when you initiate the auto change as the last car passes you, it is more seamless pulling behind the passing car and accelerating appropriately.... however, you have to make sure it is the last car in the train of cars before auto-lane changing into the fast lane because it did try to cut someone off and squeeze me in to the stack when it definitely wasn't safe to do so.. also, it didn't lane change a couple of times though despite asking it... (see my conclusion/hope at the end of this list related to this observation)

5.) Better on well marked roads but I'm pretty sure it's biggest weakness right now is if there is a red light at the end of a curve, and cars are stopped at the light... it may not see them because it hasn't figured out of cars are in the lane... I abort before testing the AEB

6.) Not great with detection of traffic cones and things in the lane... but this isn't new

7.) I believe that AP2 has become surpassed AP1 in most areas on this update... that is, in my experience, AP2 is now better than the best AP1 I've driven... And just so you AP1 lovers don't have an aneurysm... the most recent time I extensively drove an AP1 vehicle was February 2017... one caveat... AP2 still can't show truck versus car and adjacent lanes... but with this update, I now firmly believe it sees car versus truck and knows what is in the adjacent lanes.... it just isn't showing it yet for some reason.

my hopes:

1) For auto lane change... (and probably parking or summon) I think tesla should use ambient red light around the center display when the car can't (or doesn't want to) follow a command... In order to tell the driver that the car doesn't want to do something doesn't see that it is safe or that there is an opportunity for a lane change.... If the left side of the driving display could glow red (similar to when the car tells you to hold the steering wheel)... I think this would make the experience better and more intuitive. I think tesla could provide feedback and communicate with the pilot through ambient lighting on the center display... so the driver doesn't have to take his eyes off the road...

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Yes, it works but just be alert and careful. The interesting part is comparing that 17.24.28 video to the one my with neighbours AP1 car. One thing though - if this system is really learning - maybe I need to find a new road soon?

Honestly, I find making judgments off videos tough to do. For example in that video, he's driving below speed limit at about 31mph (50kmh) in a 37 (60) zone (yeah?). On the primary curve his previous version couldn't handle, AS is still wonky: almost taking him off the road on the way out; crossing into the oncoming lane on the way back. Extrapolating to speed, there's no way AS would've been successful. I suppose it'd be more interesting to see the exact route at same speed with earlier firmware and AP1 and without commentary. Judge purely on sight.

On top of that, the roads I drive simply don't look like that. I tend to drive on urban grids and big highways.

I spent a lot on this car and I really want it to work. It just doesn't. Sucks.
Yes, I believe higher speed makes it a bigger challenge, but on the first video car limited me to 50 km/h so I have kept on to that for comparisons. Hope I can speed up after next update.
I have a video also of my neighbours AP1 car on the same road. Please take a look at my playlist. It would be great if other FSD owners also could make comparisons on their local road.

After a few days with 17.24.28, it appears a step backward.

They evidently changed the source of the speed limit data - and it's wrong on quite a few streets in our area. On a nearby highway feeder, the posted speed limit is 50. Had AP running, and it slammed on the brakes because AP thought the speed limit had changed to 35.

On a surface street, TACC tried to set the speed to 60 MPH, because it thought the speed limit was 55, instead of the posted 40.

And some of the streets that had correct posted speed limits with the previous software, now have no posted speed limit - so TACC/AP reduce the speed below the speed limit.

And on the surface streets - it's not silky smooth - back to wandering back and forth in the lanes.

Maybe next release will be better...

Also did 200km of high speed highway /autobahn yesterday. 17.24.28 My impressions:

No ping-pong on straights but in long bends there is a little bit of ping-ponging. It does not upset passengers.

Auto lane change is to rough, making it almost uncomfortable. 17.17.17 was better there.

Don't try to do a 100 km/h limited turn in 140 km/h, it will not make it! Speed is still a challenge. Drifts outwards in some bends also on highway. I believe the camera don't look far enough ahead and also car does not turn enough when speed is "to high".

It still has a lot of phantom speed reductions - on some stretches none, on others a lot.

It still is not to comfortable identifying which lane other cars are in. Especially far ahead and in bends. That means we get the phantom speed reductions.

On slow moving trafic jam, the middle lane marker was adjusted for high speed and the car went zig zag to decide which lane to follow. Strange. In the same scenario, I would pull my car to the outer lane to allow passing motorcycles in the middle. AP2 does not care for them...

But still improved, not perfect and still needs human interventions.

Yes, I believe higher speed makes it a bigger challenge, but on the first video car limited me to 50 km/h so I have kept on to that for comparisons. Hope I can speed up after next update.
I have a video also of my neighbours AP1 car on the same road. Please take a look at my playlist. It would be great if other FSD owners also could make comparisons on their local road.
I posted this on another thread but it definitely helped on one of my local roads!

Reactions: daktari
Am I the only want that want 17.17.4 back?
17.24.28 on AP2 auto steer is a major major step back

I agree, 17.24.48 on my AP1 S is a MAJOR downgrade of Autopilot intelligence.

After updating I have put 50 miles today on the same stretch of highway I drive daily and I can confirm the following:
-Multiple phantom slow downs where the speed shows 55 and then drops to 35, 40 or the default 45 with no speed limit signs in sight
-Autosteer speed limited to +5 on any road (WTF!?!)
-Hold steering wheel chimes in 5X more often regardless of speed, adjacent traffic, or road travel (straight or curved)

IMO, we have a complete repeat of the issue we faced mid-2016 where the firmware update nerfed the functionality of Autopilot.

Tesla, you have neutered it, and it is again dangerous because of the unpredicabiltiy related to speed.

My advice, all AP1 owners SHOULD AVOID this update.