Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17.24.28 released - improved 'silky' update from 17.22.46?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

computerchuck

Supporting Member
Apr 20, 2017
Utah
So far 12 have reported to be using the update on ev-fw.com Would love to hear some reviews.
Capture.PNG

Reactions: WillK and Rbcnr
I had a chance to drive a bit with 17.24.28 today in my HW2 S.

Highway:
- turns are smoother with less jerking
- still seems to hug the yellow (inside) line
- got confused when cars were merging in adjacent lanes and slowed down unexpectedly
- lane changes were all executed properly but the turn into the other lane is more aggressive than I would prefer
- acceleration when the lead car departs the lane is also more aggressive (there should be a setting for that)

Local parkway/roads:
- slows down for large curves (but too much, quickly dropping 20+ mph when 10 would be plenty. Gets confused a bit and bounces around with the speed)
- doesn't always slow down for curves and crosses yellow line (kinda scary)
- always seems to do better with a leading car

I had a chance to drive a bit with 17.24.28 today in my HW2 S.

Highway:
- turns are smoother with less jerking
- still seems to hug the yellow (inside) line
- got confused when cars were merging in adjacent lanes and slowed down unexpectedly
- lane changes were all executed properly but the turn into the other lane is more aggressive than I would prefer
- acceleration when the lead car departs the lane is also more aggressive (there should be a setting for that)

Local parkway/roads:
- slows down for large curves (but too much, quickly dropping 20+ mph when 10 would be plenty. Gets confused a bit and bounces around with the speed)
- doesn't always slow down for curves and crosses yellow line (kinda scary)
- always seems to do better with a leading car
Well, well. Except for the smoother turns I'm not seeing much more than what we are experiencing in .14 or .17. I'm guessing we shouldn't expect anything earth-shaking in this release.

Well, well. Except for the smoother turns I'm not seeing much more than what we are experiencing in .14 or .17. I'm guessing we shouldn't expect anything earth-shaking in this release.
I think that is how it’ll be. Every update provides something incremental but noticeable. But we aren’t gonna wake up one day and the car is magically L5.

For some reason my car has been awful with the .26 update, in 300 miles of driving in a couple days it's false brakes for ~10-13 bridges or overhead signs (on .14 that was 99% eradicated for me) and it swerves terribly now in and out of lane. I also can't get any Bluetooth to connect so resetting everything and hoping to get .28 soon.

I had much more luck on .14. I just stopped using it tonight with my family after a few very very close calls. Kinda wishing I'd have bought ap1 at the huge discount they offered!

I think that is how it’ll be. Every update provides something incremental but noticeable. But we aren’t gonna wake up one day and the car is magically L5.
So true. I just wish I was seeing better improvement over issues that are basic AP101 but still linger during my experiences. If there are public tweets about improvements I would like to experience better improvements. You know, like, see lines, stay between lines on well marked freeways. I'm on .17 right now and there are still dumb freek-outs in some really basic AP situations. While I am satisfied overall, I still experience those 'heavy sighs' more than I like at this point in time.

Reactions: dknisely
So true. I just wish I was seeing better improvement over issues that are basic AP101 but still linger during my experiences. If there are public tweets about improvements I would like to experience better improvements. You know, like, see lines, stay between lines on well marked freeways. I'm on .17 right now and there are still dumb freek-outs in some really basic AP situations. While I am satisfied overall, I still experience those 'heavy sighs' more than I like at this point in time.
Yeah, right now my biggest problems with freeway AP2 are the jerky steering, leaving the lane on sharper turns, and some fairly sudden brake slamming / heavy acceleration maneuvers, especially when you change lanes or when someone cuts into your lane.

It sounds like Elon’s “Silky Smooth” description may be either steering or acceleration control. Not a magical improvement in image recognition. So I’m crossing my fingers that this update still makes me happier about AP2.

But considering how their mass image/video collection efforts started about a month ago with 17.17.x, I find it unlikely as a software engineer that they could’ve delivered results based off it in that timeframe. Maybe in another month or two, the data collection helps with lane line recognition or maybe even stop sign / traffic light features.

My feeling is that the "AP1 parity" code line has reached its limit. Kudos for a good try to match AP1/MobileEye, but that's good enough. The incremental improvement are very small, and arguably backward in some respects with each release. I wish Tesla would just cut this path loose and focus on the FSD-based training path forward (using more advanced ML, extensive micro-location aware training, etc., and more cameras). It is becoming clear that we are never going to reach full AP1 parity, and I wish they would stop wasting time trying to emulate the old MobileEye approach. Those programmers can focus on some kind of half-assed auto-wiper solution, PLEASE???

Reactions: 3Victoria
The last three days are showing very good numbers. Need more reviews!!!

Of the 92 cars today and yesterday, only FOUR are AP2. This is clearly not an AP2 improvement roll out, and in fact it appears to be avoiding AP2 cars, almost like they know something is broken. Then, on non-AP2 cars, nobody can figure out what it does.

Sigh. Just another week without an update for AP2, despite the tweeter-in-cheif's marketing.

My AP2 X got this while at the SC. And I also got a new ECU when I was at the SC (mine had croaked, that's why my X was there).

Hard for me to tell whether issues I'm having with lane identification are because of the firmware or the tabula rasa of the ECU. In either case, my car appears to have regressed. Hopefully I'll get more driving in over the next couple days to figure this out. I was NOT impressed with the 17.22 release my loaner had. It was awful and a clear step back from 17.17.4.

• Informative
Reactions: croman